Dialling * codes from a Fritz!Box..?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ivor Jones, Oct 11, 2006.

  1. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Hi All,

    As many of you will know, I've been using an AVM Fritz!Box Fon for quite
    some time now, mainly on Sipgate but also on FWD and Gradwell.

    However I've recently come across a slight problem that I haven't been
    able to find a way around, so I wonder if anyone else with a Fritz has had
    the same problem..?

    Basically I need to be able to call an American toll-free (1-800) number
    for tech support on a certain item of software I'm using. FWD
    (FreeWorldDialup) allow free calls to these numbers but you have to prefix
    the number with a * so for example 1-800-123-4567 would be dialled
    *18001234567.

    This is all well and good, but the problem is the Fritz!Box uses a * as
    the prefix for some of its own internal commands, so a * sent doesn't get
    passed to line but is "interpreted" by the unit. This means that I can't
    dial the number as required.

    Is there a way around it..? If so I'd be *very* grateful for any info..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Ivor Jones

    Jono Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Basically I need to be able to call an American toll-free (1-800) number
    > for tech support on a certain item of software I'm using. FWD
    > (FreeWorldDialup) allow free calls to these numbers but you have to prefix
    > the number with a * so for example 1-800-123-4567 would be dialled
    > *18001234567.
    >
    > This is all well and good, but the problem is the Fritz!Box uses a * as
    > the prefix for some of its own internal commands, so a * sent doesn't get
    > passed to line but is "interpreted" by the unit. This means that I can't
    > dial the number as required.
    >
    > Is there a way around it..? If so I'd be *very* grateful for any info..!

    I know the question was posed at Fritz!Box users, which I am
    not..........however, is it pssible to programme speed dials at all?

    Is the * prefix on 1-800 numbers peculiar to FWD? Why is it even necessary?
    Jono, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > Basically I need to be able to call an American
    > > toll-free (1-800) number for tech support on a certain
    > > item of software I'm using. FWD (FreeWorldDialup) allow
    > > free calls to these numbers but you have to prefix the
    > > number with a * so for example 1-800-123-4567 would be
    > > dialled *18001234567. This is all well and good, but the problem is
    > > the
    > > Fritz!Box uses a * as the prefix for some of its own
    > > internal commands, so a * sent doesn't get passed to
    > > line but is "interpreted" by the unit. This means that
    > > I can't dial the number as required. Is there a way around it..? If so
    > > I'd be *very*
    > > grateful for any info..!

    > I know the question was posed at Fritz!Box users, which I
    > am not..........however, is it pssible to programme speed
    > dials at all?

    Yes it is, but it has to be in the format *.
    However, I tried and it works, but that is only good if you want to dial a
    specific number, if you want to be able to dial any old 1-800 number at
    random then you can't do it, you would have to program the speed dial for
    the required number in full, you can't just specify a prefix and dial the
    remaining digits from the phone. That would require a dialling rule, and
    the dialling rule setup doesn't allow non-numeric characters such as a *
    in the string.

    > Is the * prefix on 1-800 numbers peculiar to FWD? Why is
    > it even necessary?

    I believe so, why it's necessary I don't know, but it is..! However it's
    the only account I have that allows free calls to 1-800 numbers.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Ivor Jones

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones explained on 11/10/2006 :
    >> I know the question was posed at Fritz!Box users, which I
    >> am not..........however, is it possible to programme speed
    >> dials at all?

    > Yes it is, but it has to be in the format *.
    > However, I tried and it works, but that is only good if you want to dial a
    > specific number, if you want to be able to dial any old 1-800 number at
    > random then you can't do it, you would have to program the speed dial for the
    > required number in full, you can't just specify a prefix and dial the
    > remaining digits from the phone. That would require a dialling rule, and the
    > dialling rule setup doesn't allow non-numeric characters such as a * in the
    > string.

    Well, in the absence of a Fritz!Box expert, other than yourself, coming
    along, I'm stumped!

    >> Is the * prefix on 1-800 numbers peculiar to FWD? Why is
    >> it even necessary?

    > I believe so, why it's necessary I don't know, but it is..! However it's the
    > only account I have that allows free calls to 1-800 numbers.

    There must be another VSP that allows it with normal direct dialling.
    What about an account with voipcheap.com E10 +VAT for 90 days free
    calls to UK blah blah. P'raps a bit OTT to ring a freephone number.
    Jono, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > There must be another VSP that allows it with normal
    > direct dialling. What about an account with voipcheap.com
    > E10 +VAT for 90 days free calls to UK blah blah. P'raps a
    > bit OTT to ring a freephone number.

    Just a bit..! I used to terminate FWD on a Sipura 2000 which handles the
    initial * fine, but there were other reasons for moving it to the
    Fritz!Box.

    Don't start me off about "free" calls at a price ;-)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Ivor Jones

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones submitted this idea :
    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> There must be another VSP that allows it with normal
    >> direct dialling. What about an account with voipcheap.com
    >> E10 +VAT for 90 days free calls to UK blah blah. P'raps a
    >> bit OTT to ring a freephone number.

    > Just a bit..! I used to terminate FWD on a Sipura 2000 which handles the
    > initial * fine, but there were other reasons for moving it to the Fritz!Box.
    >
    > Don't start me off about "free" calls at a price ;-)
    >
    > Ivor

    I won't. Although they are free calls, genuinely - the E10 can all be
    used on non-free calls.

    Can't you put the account back into the spa2000?? and at the same time
    leave it in the F!B too?
    Jono, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones submitted this idea :

    [snip]

    > > Don't start me off about "free" calls at a price ;-)
    > >
    > > Ivor

    > I won't. Although they are free calls, genuinely - the
    > E10 can all be used on non-free calls.

    But I have plenty of credit on three Sipgate accounts that has hardly been
    touched in 2 years..! My calls to PSTN numbers are so few as to be
    practically non-existent, it's hardly worth me opening an account that
    requires credit that will never be used just to call freephone numbers..!
    Oh and if it requires credit then the calls aren't free..!
    Aaaarrgghhhh..!! See what you've done, you've got me going..!

    > Can't you put the account back into the spa2000?? and at
    > the same time leave it in the F!B too?

    No, I need both the phone ports on the SPA2000 for other purposes, the FWD
    account is rarely used and doesn't warrant a phone port all to itself (I
    haven't got enough incoming line circuits on the PABX for a start..!) and
    it is installed as an "extra" account on the Fritz as it can hold up to
    10.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 12, 2006
  8. Ivor Jones

    Jono Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > No, I need both the phone ports on the SPA2000 for other purposes, the FWD
    > account is rarely used and doesn't warrant a phone port all to itself (I
    > haven't got enough incoming line circuits on the PABX for a start..!) and
    > it is installed as an "extra" account on the Fritz as it can hold up to
    > 10.
    >
    > Ivor

    Then you need to consider using voxalot.

    You can set up FWD on voxalot so that any number beginning 1800x., actually
    get sent as *1800x.
    Jono, Oct 12, 2006
  9. Ivor Jones

    Jono Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> No, I need both the phone ports on the SPA2000 for other purposes, the
    >> FWD account is rarely used and doesn't warrant a phone port all to itself
    >> (I haven't got enough incoming line circuits on the PABX for a start..!)
    >> and it is installed as an "extra" account on the Fritz as it can hold up
    >> to 10.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Then you need to consider using voxalot.
    >
    > You can set up FWD on voxalot so that any number beginning 1800x.,
    > actually get sent as *1800x.

    Really, I meant "try setting up voxalot in this way" I have no idea if
    voxalot's dial patterns allow the sending of * codes. It ought
    to.........where's a Brian when you need one?
    Jono, Oct 12, 2006
  10. In article <5ilXg.33787$>,
    Jono <> wrote:

    >Then you need to consider using voxalot.

    What about your own home asterisk box, Ivor? For what you're doing, I'd
    have thought it would be the best thing for you. Not cheap though, but
    if you have the time and an oldish PC then it'll work just fine. You
    might need to fork-out for a TDM400 card though rather than use ATAs...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Oct 12, 2006
  11. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    message news:egksif$k81$
    > In article
    > <5ilXg.33787$>,
    > Jono <> wrote:
    >
    > > Then you need to consider using voxalot.

    > What about your own home asterisk box, Ivor? For what
    > you're doing, I'd have thought it would be the best thing
    > for you. Not cheap though, but if you have the time and
    > an oldish PC then it'll work just fine. You might need to
    > fork-out for a TDM400 card though rather than use ATAs...
    >
    > Gordon

    It's a thought, but no, I don't want to rely on a computer-based system. I
    have ATA's feeding the exchange line inputs of a PABX. The system has been
    installed for a long time, is working well and is virtually bomb-proof.
    It's not worth replacing it all for a simple problem like this.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 12, 2006
  12. Ivor Jones

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 06:33:19 GMT, "Jono"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jono" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> No, I need both the phone ports on the SPA2000 for other purposes, the
    >>> FWD account is rarely used and doesn't warrant a phone port all to itself
    >>> (I haven't got enough incoming line circuits on the PABX for a start..!)
    >>> and it is installed as an "extra" account on the Fritz as it can hold up
    >>> to 10.
    >>>
    >>> Ivor

    >> Then you need to consider using voxalot.
    >>
    >> You can set up FWD on voxalot so that any number beginning 1800x.,
    >> actually get sent as *1800x.
    >>

    >Really, I meant "try setting up voxalot in this way" I have no idea if
    >voxalot's dial patterns allow the sending of * codes. It ought
    >to.........where's a Brian when you need one?

    At first I thought of using Voxalot for this as Jono suggested.
    However, after writng a reply, I realised that it wouldn't work
    because, at some part of the dialling sequence, you'd have to dial an
    ' *' . Speed dials on Voxalot are accessed via an ' * '. My extent of
    knowledge re the dial plan settings has a small hole in it atm, I need
    to do some more research. Currently I can't configure a way to do
    this via the Voxalot dial plan though I think it is possible.
    However, it is easy to do via easypabx.com.
    You can have 4 figure speed dial numbers and these can trigger numbers
    with ' * ' in them.
    Further you can set up the LCR routing to do other tricks. With
    easypabx you can have up to 2000 speed dial numbers. Further, easypabx
    affords lots of other facilities.
    There is easy to follow documentation on easypabx but, if you do try
    it and get stuck, please come back and ask. I have found a way round a
    few problems with easypabx, so I have a bit of experience in using it,
    as have others in this group I think.
    It is free so worth a play I think.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Skype Free Zone!!
    Brian A, Oct 12, 2006
  13. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > At first I thought of using Voxalot for this as Jono
    > suggested. However, after writng a reply, I realised that
    > it wouldn't work because, at some part of the dialling
    > sequence, you'd have to dial an ' *' . Speed dials on
    > Voxalot are accessed via an ' * '. My extent of knowledge
    > re the dial plan settings has a small hole in it atm, I
    > need to do some more research. Currently I can't
    > configure a way to do this via the Voxalot dial plan
    > though I think it is possible. However, it is easy to do
    > via easypabx.com.
    > You can have 4 figure speed dial numbers and these can
    > trigger numbers with ' * ' in them.
    > Further you can set up the LCR routing to do other
    > tricks. With easypabx you can have up to 2000 speed dial
    > numbers. Further, easypabx affords lots of other
    > facilities.
    > There is easy to follow documentation on easypabx but, if
    > you do try it and get stuck, please come back and ask. I
    > have found a way round a few problems with easypabx, so I
    > have a bit of experience in using it, as have others in
    > this group I think.
    > It is free so worth a play I think.

    It all seems so complicated, all I want to do is dial * in front of a
    number..! I can do it on the Fritz!Box as a speed dial, I can enter a
    specific number there and it works, but if you want to be able to dial any
    1-800 number without knowing in advance what it is, then it falls over.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 12, 2006
  14. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    > message news:egksif$k81$
    >> In article
    >> <5ilXg.33787$>,
    >> Jono <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Then you need to consider using voxalot.

    >> What about your own home asterisk box, Ivor? For what
    >> you're doing, I'd have thought it would be the best thing
    >> for you. Not cheap though, but if you have the time and
    >> an oldish PC then it'll work just fine. You might need to
    >> fork-out for a TDM400 card though rather than use ATAs...
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > It's a thought, but no, I don't want to rely on a computer-based system. I
    > have ATA's feeding the exchange line inputs of a PABX. The system has been
    > installed for a long time, is working well and is virtually bomb-proof.
    > It's not worth replacing it all for a simple problem like this.
    >
    > Ivor

    Ivor
    I couldnt get this to work with my spa and so put in a dial plan
    <18:*18>xxxxxxxxx<:mad:fwd.pulver.com> - basically any number starting "18"
    gets translated to the required fwd number. Can you use dial plans on the
    friztbox to do the same?
    Roger.
    Roger Barrett, Oct 12, 2006
  15. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I couldnt get this to work with my spa and so put in a
    > dial plan <18:*18>xxxxxxxxx<:mad:fwd.pulver.com> - basically
    > any number starting "18" gets translated to the required
    > fwd number. Can you use dial plans on the friztbox to do
    > the same? Roger.

    No, it doesn't use dial plans in the same way as the Sipura. You can
    specify speed dials and you can set dialling rules, but not dial plans as
    such.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 12, 2006
  16. Ivor Jones

    news Guest

    In message <>, Ivor Jones
    <> writes
    >It all seems so complicated, all I want to do is dial * in front of a
    >number..! I can do it on the Fritz!Box as a speed dial, I can enter a
    >specific number there and it works, but if you want to be able to dial any
    >1-800 number without knowing in advance what it is, then it falls over.

    How about ** ?
    news, Oct 12, 2006
  17. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "news" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, Ivor Jones
    > <> writes
    > > It all seems so complicated, all I want to do is dial *
    > > in front of a number..! I can do it on the Fritz!Box as
    > > a speed dial, I can enter a specific number there and
    > > it works, but if you want to be able to dial any 1-800
    > > number without knowing in advance what it is, then it
    > > falls over.

    > How about ** ?

    No, that's also used, as a prefix for speed dials.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 12, 2006
  18. Ivor Jones

    Jono Guest

    After serious thinking Ivor Jones wrote :
    > "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> I couldnt get this to work with my spa and so put in a
    >> dial plan <18:*18>xxxxxxxxx<:mad:fwd.pulver.com> - basically
    >> any number starting "18" gets translated to the required
    >> fwd number. Can you use dial plans on the friztbox to do
    >> the same? Roger.

    > No, it doesn't use dial plans in the same way as the Sipura. You can specify
    > speed dials and you can set dialling rules, but not dial plans as such.
    >
    > Ivor

    What's wrong with using voxalot?
    Jono, Oct 12, 2006
  19. Ivor Jones

    Jono Guest

    Jono formulated the question :
    > After serious thinking Ivor Jones wrote :
    >> "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> I couldnt get this to work with my spa and so put in a
    >>> dial plan <18:*18>xxxxxxxxx<:mad:fwd.pulver.com> - basically
    >>> any number starting "18" gets translated to the required
    >>> fwd number. Can you use dial plans on the friztbox to do
    >>> the same? Roger.

    >> No, it doesn't use dial plans in the same way as the Sipura. You can
    >> specify speed dials and you can set dialling rules, but not dial plans as
    >> such.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > What's wrong with using voxalot?

    I've seen one of the Brians' responses now.....
    Jono, Oct 12, 2006
  20. Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...

    |Hi All,
    |
    |As many of you will know, I've been using an AVM Fritz!Box Fon for quite
    |some time now, mainly on Sipgate but also on FWD and Gradwell.
    |
    |However I've recently come across a slight problem that I haven't been
    |able to find a way around, so I wonder if anyone else with a Fritz has had
    |the same problem..?
    |
    |Basically I need to be able to call an American toll-free (1-800) number
    |for tech support on a certain item of software I'm using. FWD
    |(FreeWorldDialup) allow free calls to these numbers but you have to prefix
    |the number with a * so for example 1-800-123-4567 would be dialled
    |*18001234567.
    |
    |This is all well and good, but the problem is the Fritz!Box uses a * as
    |the prefix for some of its own internal commands, so a * sent doesn't get
    |passed to line but is "interpreted" by the unit. This means that I can't
    |dial the number as required.
    |
    |Is there a way around it..? If so I'd be *very* grateful for any info..!
    |

    |Ivor

    Hi Ivor...

    A simple and quick solution: before the number you have to call, dial
    the *12x# prefix of the FWD line, then you can dial whatever you want,
    even an asterisk. Once the line is chosen and taken, every other digit
    you dial is passed as-is to the preselected line.

    It's the way my Fritz!Box Fon WLAN works, don't know if it's the same
    for you.

    HTH

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid