    neilherron.blogspot.com/2005/
    02/investigation-this-man-wants-to-hit-bt.html

    Fred
    Fred, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Fred

    Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:07:37 -0000, "Fred"
    <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote:

    |> You may like to read this:
    |>
    |> neilherron.blogspot.com/2005/
    |> 02/investigation-this-man-wants-to-hit-bt.html

    www.neilherron.blogspot.com/2005/neilherron.blogspot.com/2005/

    Sorry, but it was his own fault.

    "This all began innocently about a year ago, when I downloaded a few
    free tunes from a seemingly benign internet music site. Hidden inside
    the download was a secret software program designed to hijack our modem
    and run up my phone bill."

    What music file ends with .EXE?

    --
    http://wakaba.nervalhi.net/mods/src/everyonehashadmoresex.swf
    , Feb 27, 2005

  3. Fred

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:07:37 -0000, "Fred"
    <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote:

    >You may like to read this:
    >
    >neilherron.blogspot.com/2005/
    >02/investigation-this-man-wants-to-hit-bt.html

    At one point, there was a "free porn viewer" called david.exe that,
    when you executed it, disconnected your modem (almost no one had
    broadband then) and reconnected you through a Canadian number that,
    like one of those premium sex phone numbers with foreign numbers, was
    billed you as if you had called Moldova. (a Romanian speaking country
    in the former U.S.S.R.)

    The U.S. Federal Communications Commission stopped the collection of
    the difference between a call to Canada and a call to Moldova but the
    victims still had to pay for long phone calls to Canada.

    One issue seems to be that in XP, at least, a file can have an
    extension "jpg" or "mp3" but have the signature of a Windows "Portable
    Executable" and - if you run it in Windows, your MP3 or JPG handler
    isn't called up - it is run AS A WINDOWS EXECUTABLE.

    On Thursday and Saturday, I received spam with what claimed to be a
    jpg image of a check deposited into my non-existent e-gold account
    with the extension .jpg. It was, in fact, a Windows executable, a
    version of the Goldrun trojan which phishes e-gold info.

    Since it appears to have been sent on purpose by a customer of a
    hosting company in Sta. Monica, California through the hosting
    company, I forwarded it to the Los Angeles County District Attorney.
    He didn't get OJ but...
    Joel Rubin, Feb 28, 2005