    stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
    the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
    alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

    Andy Lawson, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Andy Lawson

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:21:08 +1200, "Andy Lawson" <> wrote:

    >Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
    >stealth dialling?.
    >
    >The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
    >to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
    >into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
    >discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
    >stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
    >the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
    >alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

    Try this, it has some dialers listed:

    Invisible, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Andy Lawson

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
    >stealth dialling?.
    >
    >The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
    >to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
    >into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn.

    I think it is called a clip round the ear. ;-)

    GraB, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Andy Lawson

    KS Guest

    Andy Lawson wrote:
    > Turns out her teenage
    > grandson got sucked into installing something he shouldn't have
    > whilst doing chat on msn

    Looks like grandson will be doing many many chores around the house for many
    months to come !

    Good luck.

    KS, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Andy Lawson

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
    >stealth dialling?.
    >
    >The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
    >to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
    >into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
    >discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
    >stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
    >the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
    >alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

    The best way to avoid diallers is to disable auto-dial, and make the
    user manually connect to the internet by clicking on a shortcut to
    their dial-up connection. Diallers just add a new connection & make it
    the default so when auto-dial kicks in the dialler connection fires up
    rather than the usual one. Connect manually & the user will always
    use their proper connection, I've a mate who often gets diallers but
    they don't ever run because I set him up to connect manually.

    Connecting manually is a better practice anyway, makes users a bit
    more aware of what their computer is doing.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Sep 3, 2003
  6. In article <cLf5b.884$>,
    says...
    > Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
    > stealth dialling?.
    >
    > The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
    > to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
    > into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
    > discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
    > stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
    > the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
    > alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

    For starters, as others have suggested, some ground rules might be in
    order for the use of said computer. :)

    I would dump irc. It's notorious for hack attempts, trojans etc. and why
    the heck anyway - is it that great to be part of the luser community?
    <sigh> I suppose the kid WANT'S TO.

    I would suggest installing Mozilla or Opera as default browser, and
    proxy-ing them through the Proxomitron. That will kill all manners of
    malicious scripts and prevent IE cum MSUpdate being highjacked by
    malicious scripts by keeping IE out of the picture entirely. (disabling
    MSUpdate on XP is a good idea: I had a machine with vanilla XP on it, not
    yet protected since just installed, hacked with a dialler on the first
    connection attempt via Update - dunno how they did it but they did.
    Fortunately I was watching, immediately killed the 'update' process and
    then went and tracked down the install files they had already uploaded to
    my harddrive. I was connecting to IHug's main page when that happened,
    not some potentially dodgy site).
    Furthermore get Eudora or Pegasus set up as email client and Agent or
    Gravity for newsgroups. Delete Outlook(Express) as it's another way of
    going out there with a 'kick me' sign on the back.

    Furthermore I would recommend installing a decent firewall like Sygate
    Personal Firewall. (I for one do NOT recommend Zone Alarm - had too much
    trouble with it and heard worse).

    So long as they don't download and run .exe files, .scr files etc after
    that, without virus checking them first, they should be pretty safe.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Andy Lawson

    NZed Guest

    This is a very good dedicated program made by a kiwi in Aus.
    http://www.stopitnow.com.au/

    From what I understand having a virus checker and firewall is not always
    enough to stop the trojan from controling your the dialer. See the website
    for more info.

    NZed

    NZed, Sep 4, 2003
  8. Andy Lawson

    Andy Lawson Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in message
    > This is a very good dedicated program made by a kiwi in Aus.
    > http://www.stopitnow.com.au/
    >
    > From what I understand having a virus checker and firewall is not always
    > enough to stop the trojan from controling your the dialer. See the website
    > for more info.

    I seem to recall hearing something about a program called StopItNow being
    advertised via messenger service spam. Or was that weenies trying to make it
    look bad, the domains popup advertised were all variations on StopIt,
    StopIt.biz and StopItNow.net.

    Andy Lawson, Sep 5, 2003
  9. Andy Lawson

    NZed Guest

    To be honest I havnt used it but know one of the kiwis who developed it who
    is in Sydney. They developed the program as a result of many problems they
    had in Aus and around the world.
    If you have any questions I am sure he will reply via the website address.

    NZed, Sep 5, 2003
  10. Andy Lawson

    Paul Guest

    Get spybot or adaware..