Dialing from U.S. to U.K. question - wrong city codes?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by TexasMirty@gmail.com, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Sorry to have to post a stupid question, but some days are like that.

    We have a Cisco 2851 CME connected to a Time-Warner-Telecom line.

    I am able to place international calls to many countries, including
    Israel and France. But calls to the UK do not go through.

    I called Time-Warner-Telecom for help, but they said that it was a
    problem with our router config and that no international calls would go
    through. Demonstrably incorrect. After hanging up with
    Time-Warner-Telecom support, I dialed Jerusalem and got through.

    Does anyone have familiarity with dialing the UK from US? Please help!
    We are trying to reach a company in Bristol, England. Their number, as
    published on their website, is (01179) 290039

    This is how we are dialing it from our phones in the U.S.:

    011 + 44 + 117 + 290039

    I reach a recording of "Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please
    check the number and dial again. 2BJ." (Who or what is 2BJ?)

    If I use the complete UK city code (01179), then I get the same
    recording. Also if I try calling with 0117 as the city code. Any
    suggestions?
    , Jun 6, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh :
    > Sorry to have to post a stupid question, but some days are like that.
    >
    > We have a Cisco 2851 CME connected to a Time-Warner-Telecom line.
    >
    > I am able to place international calls to many countries, including
    > Israel and France. But calls to the UK do not go through.
    >
    > I called Time-Warner-Telecom for help, but they said that it was a
    > problem with our router config and that no international calls would
    > go through. Demonstrably incorrect. After hanging up with
    > Time-Warner-Telecom support, I dialed Jerusalem and got through.
    >
    > Does anyone have familiarity with dialing the UK from US? Please help!
    > We are trying to reach a company in Bristol, England. Their number, as
    > published on their website, is (01179) 290039
    >
    > This is how we are dialing it from our phones in the U.S.:
    >
    > 011 + 44 + 117 + 290039
    >
    > I reach a recording of "Your call cannot be completed as dialed.
    > Please check the number and dial again. 2BJ." (Who or what is 2BJ?)
    >
    > If I use the complete UK city code (01179), then I get the same
    > recording. Also if I try calling with 0117 as the city code. Any
    > suggestions?

    I've called the number here within the UK and it rings out.
    Also using my VoIP Stunt service which you have to dial internationally
    formatted (00 44 117 929 0039), it works fine.

    (0117) 929 0039 is how the number should be displayed.

    011 44 117 929 0039 is how it should be dialled from the USA.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Chris Blunt Guest

    On 6 Jun 2006 09:36:35 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry to have to post a stupid question, but some days are like that.
    >
    >We have a Cisco 2851 CME connected to a Time-Warner-Telecom line.
    >
    >I am able to place international calls to many countries, including
    >Israel and France. But calls to the UK do not go through.
    >
    >I called Time-Warner-Telecom for help, but they said that it was a
    >problem with our router config and that no international calls would go
    >through. Demonstrably incorrect. After hanging up with
    >Time-Warner-Telecom support, I dialed Jerusalem and got through.
    >
    >Does anyone have familiarity with dialing the UK from US? Please help!
    >We are trying to reach a company in Bristol, England. Their number, as
    >published on their website, is (01179) 290039
    >
    > This is how we are dialing it from our phones in the U.S.:
    >
    >011 + 44 + 117 + 290039
    >
    >I reach a recording of "Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please
    >check the number and dial again. 2BJ." (Who or what is 2BJ?)
    >
    >If I use the complete UK city code (01179), then I get the same
    >recording. Also if I try calling with 0117 as the city code. Any
    >suggestions?

    Why are you omitting the last digit of the city code? You should be
    dialling it as:

    011 44 1179 290039

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Thus spaketh Chris Blunt:
    > On 6 Jun 2006 09:36:35 -0700, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry to have to post a stupid question, but some days are like that.
    >>
    >> We have a Cisco 2851 CME connected to a Time-Warner-Telecom line.
    >>
    >> I am able to place international calls to many countries, including
    >> Israel and France. But calls to the UK do not go through.
    >>
    >> I called Time-Warner-Telecom for help, but they said that it was a
    >> problem with our router config and that no international calls would
    >> go through. Demonstrably incorrect. After hanging up with
    >> Time-Warner-Telecom support, I dialed Jerusalem and got through.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have familiarity with dialing the UK from US? Please
    >> help! We are trying to reach a company in Bristol, England. Their
    >> number, as published on their website, is (01179) 290039
    >>
    >> This is how we are dialing it from our phones in the U.S.:
    >>
    >> 011 + 44 + 117 + 290039
    >>
    >> I reach a recording of "Your call cannot be completed as dialed.
    >> Please check the number and dial again. 2BJ." (Who or what is 2BJ?)
    >>
    >> If I use the complete UK city code (01179), then I get the same
    >> recording. Also if I try calling with 0117 as the city code. Any
    >> suggestions?

    > Why are you omitting the last digit of the city code? You should be
    > dialling it as:
    >
    > 011 44 1179 290039
    >
    > Chris

    It did appear they were omitting a digit, but it's the first digit of the
    local number they are omitting, not the last digit of the city code, the
    company's website are incorrectly displaying their number.

    It should be:

    (0117) 929 0039 or internationally; +44 117 929 0039, as per my above post,
    dialled from the USA as 011 44 117 929 0039 and from most of the rest of the
    world as 00 44 117 929 0039

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    > On 6 Jun 2006 09:36:35 -0700, ""
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > > If I use the complete UK city code (01179), then I get
    > > the same recording. Also if I try calling with 0117 as
    > > the city code. Any suggestions?

    > Why are you omitting the last digit of the city code? You
    > should be dialling it as:
    >
    > 011 44 1179 290039

    It's not the last digit of the area (not city) code, it's the first digit
    of the local number.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Guest

    Something is wrong with our phone gateway then. I am able to get
    through dialing 011 44 117 929 0039 from my cell phone, but not from
    our Cisco IP phones in the office.

    We get a fast busy when dialing that number from the Cisco phones. The
    gateway is misinterpreting the number somehow.

    Thank you.

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    > > On 6 Jun 2006 09:36:35 -0700, ""
    > > <> wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    > > > If I use the complete UK city code (01179), then I get
    > > > the same recording. Also if I try calling with 0117 as
    > > > the city code. Any suggestions?

    > > Why are you omitting the last digit of the city code? You
    > > should be dialling it as:
    > >
    > > 011 44 1179 290039

    > It's not the last digit of the area (not city) code, it's the first digit
    > of the local number.
    >
    > Ivor
    , Jun 8, 2006
  7. Guest

    Update: Worked with Cisco and confirmed the problem was in the router
    config. The fix was to add this configuration to the voice port:

    isdn map address ^011.* plan unknown type unknown

    wrote:
    > Something is wrong with our phone gateway then. I am able to get
    > through dialing 011 44 117 929 0039 from my cell phone, but not from
    > our Cisco IP phones in the office.
    >
    > We get a fast busy when dialing that number from the Cisco phones. The
    > gateway is misinterpreting the number somehow.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    > > > On 6 Jun 2006 09:36:35 -0700, ""
    > > > <> wrote:

    > > [snip]

    > > > Why are you omitting the last digit of the city code? You
    > > > should be dialling it as:
    > > >
    > > > 011 44 1179 290039

    > > It's not the last digit of the area (not city) code, it's the first digit
    > > of the local number.
    > >
    > > Ivor
    , Jun 9, 2006