    Everybody have a very good day.

    Thanks in advance for any responses.

    Shiva
    Shiva Parvati, Jul 1, 2004

  2. I know that some phones including Nokia have a "software modem" available
    which can use the PC's infrared port or a cable connection to the phone.
    Shockingly slow, though, unless you're on GPRS or similar.

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London
    "Shiva Parvati" <> wrote in message

    > Hi, how is everybody doing?
    >
    > I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here is

    my
    > question:
    >
    > Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access through
    > the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
    >
    > (I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
    >
    > Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that will

    do
    > this?
    >
    > I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my

    email

    Philip Herlihy, Jul 1, 2004

  3. On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:15:12 -0700, "Shiva Parvati"
    <> wrote :

    >Hi, how is everybody doing?
    >
    >I apologize at the outset if I am posting to the wrong newsgroup. Here is my
    >question:
    >
    >Can a computer and a cellphone be set up to enable dial-up access through
    >the cell-phone? Where does the PC modem figure in this?
    >
    >(I am not talking about wireless-LAN or wireless hotspots here.)
    >
    >Are/is there any particular phone model and/or service provider that will do
    >this?
    >
    >I shall appreciate if a copy of any kind soul's response is sent to my email
    >address also. I do not get to access newsgroups very often (one of the
    >reasons for this inquiry!).
    >
    >Everybody have a very good day.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any responses.

    I use a Nokia 6210 cellphone which has WAP and also an inbuilt modem
    and connects to my Toshiba P20 laptop via infrared. I use it when out
    of range of any WiFi hotspots and when I can't get access to a
    telephone line.

    It works fine, connects to my ISP for email and for web browsing, with
    one major disadvantage - max speed is 9600 baud!!!

    I just set up a modem connection using it, with the dial-up number the
    number of my normal ISP dial-up - can't use my ADSL unfortunately.
    If I'm moving around a lot I do change the ISP phone number to the
    nearest local number, but I don't think it makes a great deal of
    difference to the call charges from the mobile.

    If the 6210 is switched to infrared the laptop detects it and the
    modem dial-up in Network Connections shows the 6210 modem. I just use
    it like a normal modem.

    If the 6210 is off or out of infrared range, the modem dial-up display
    reverts to showing the inbuilt laptop modem, and will use it too, if
    there is a line.

    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins
    Peter Wilkins, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Shiva Parvati

    Jack Guest

    Hi.
    It is possible.

    However you need a Provider that supports it, and a Cell phone that can do
    it.

    I know that Sprint and Verizon provide this service.

    Check with your provider.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 4, 2004
  5. I've used a Nokia 6210 with my Psion Organiser to ring a standard dial-up
    number in the UK. You need something on the "computer" to drive the phone,
    though - a software modem.

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Hi, how is everybody doing?

    Thanks for the very informative responses both to this newsgroup as well as
    the email address.

    I have learnt a lot!

    This is a truly wonderful community. Bless everyone.

    Everybody have a wonderful day.

    Shiva
    --------

    Shiva Parvati, Jul 5, 2004
  7. There is also another option for performing dialup through your cell phone.
    Once Service Pack 2 for Windows XP is released, you will be able to use
    Bluetooth (a fairly new wireless protocol) to use your cell phone as a modem
    for dialup. Many of the newest cell phones on the market now have Bluetooth
    built into them. When using an IR connection for dialup, you have to worry
    about line-of-sight. But with Bluetooth, you don't have to worry about
    line-of-sight. You would just need to have the cell phone within aprox 30
    feet of your PC.

    Here's what you would need in order to go with this option:

    1) A PC running Windows XP Service Pack 2
    2) A Bluetooth radio for your PC
    There are several USB models available.
    You would want to pick one that was supported by Windows XP SP2.
    3) A cell phone that has Bluetooth built-in
    Many of the newest models do.
    4) Ask to make sure that the cell phone supports the "Dialup Networking
    profile for Bluetooth"

    From a high-level view, setting up a dialup connection using Bluetooth would
    go something like this:

    1) Use either the PC or the phone to "scan" (look) for the other device.
    2) Once the other device is found, you dream up a "passkey" and enter the
    same one on both the PC and the phone.
    3) This causes the PC to automatically install the cell phone as a
    Bluetooth Modem device.
    4) You create a dialup connection on your PC, just as you normally would,
    for connecting to your Internet Service Provider. The only difference, is
    that you select the Bluetooth Modem for the dialup device.
    5) Once all of this is setup, from now on, you would only need to launch
    the dialup connection and connect to your Internet Service Provider as you
    normally would.

    Note: I have setup one of these connections before. The phone I was using
    still limited the connection to a speed of 9600 bps. This would be the same
    as IR. I don't personally know if other cell phones would allow a faster
    connection or not.

    --

    Patrick Sears
    Bluetooth PAN

    purposes only.

    Patrick Sears [MSFT], Jul 29, 2004
  8. Shiva Parvati

    namsilat

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    how about in 2010?

    I was extremely happy to come cross this thread, because I am trying to make the same setup work in 2010. As pointed by someone even in 2004, there's now bluetooth technology for this. Believe it or not, I am dire need of a dial-up that's described in the original post, so I can access a particular site with my laptop via HyperTerminal, which I believe is similar to dial-up and fax connection.

    I have a LG Rumor that I was able to set up to communicate with my laptop via bluetooth, but I can't get dial-up to work with it. I suspect the cell phone may not have a modem to work with dial-up, or some special commands are needed to activate that connection.

    Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    namsilat, Nov 27, 2010