    speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?

    Thanks,
    Keith

    KD, Oct 30, 2004

  2. KD

    Kenny Guest

    It's very highly rated by Computeractive magazine, gives it a "Best Buy"
    award. Costs about £25 a year.

    Kenny

    "KD" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co uk
    > ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

    spamming).
    > He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

    internet

    Kenny, Oct 30, 2004

  3. KD

    me Guest

    "KD" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co uk
    > ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

    spamming).
    > He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

    internet
    > access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
    > about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
    > the entire internet and compressed it ???
    > Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
    > speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Keith

    Keith,if you scroll down this group to a message posted on 22nd October
    entitled "Accelerated 56k" you'll see that the poster (T.Mcrae)asked a very
    similar question,and you can see the replies he got.I noticed it becasue i
    was going back through all the posts i had missed,so i thought it may save
    you some time

    Andrew

    me, Oct 30, 2004
  4. KD

    KD Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message news:DcSgd.36195$_g6.33683@okepread03...

    > "KD" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co
    >> uk
    >> ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

    > spamming).
    >> He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

    > internet
    >> access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
    >> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
    >> the entire internet and compressed it ???
    >> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
    >> speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Keith
    >>

    > Keith,if you scroll down this group to a message posted on 22nd October
    > entitled "Accelerated 56k" you'll see that the poster (T.Mcrae)asked a
    > very
    > similar question,and you can see the replies he got.I noticed it becasue i
    > was going back through all the posts i had missed,so i thought it may save
    > you some time
    >
    > Andrew

    Hi Andrew,
    Thanks for the pointer. I suspected it would be something like that.
    I'll have to find out what the intended use is by the father in law before
    he can make a judgement on giving this a try.

    Cheers,
    Keith

    KD, Oct 31, 2004
  5. KD

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "KD" <> wrote in

    > They seem to be talking
    > about compression technology but surely this only works if they've
    > cached the entire internet and compressed it ???
    > Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim
    > to speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?

    The way it works:

    Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
    accelerator server software

    Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
    comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
    sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I moved
    waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally faster.
    It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
    times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise, it
    is about 1.3 times faster.

    Jim Berwick, Oct 31, 2004
  6. KD

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > It's very highly rated by Computeractive magazine, gives it a "Best Buy"
    > award. Costs about £25 a year.
    >
    > Kenny
    >
    > "KD" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co
    >> uk
    >> ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

    > spamming).
    >> He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

    > internet
    >> access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
    >> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
    >> the entire internet and compressed it ???
    >> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
    >> speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Keith

    With it does is supply an invisible interface between you and the website
    you are viewing. It doesn`t work on zip files and some other types that have
    already been compressed. It download the website to its server, then
    compresses it and then sends it to you compressed which your computer will
    uncompress!
    It sounds crap to me and a waist of money. It may save you a few
    milliseconds, so what! Save your money!
    --
    IAN. P. GARDNER
    www.gardner44.freeserve.co.uk

    IAN GARDNER, Nov 1, 2004
  7. KD

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "KD" <> wrote in
    >
    >> They seem to be talking
    >> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've
    >> cached the entire internet and compressed it ???
    >> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim
    >> to speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
    >>

    > The way it works:
    >
    > Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
    > accelerator server software
    >
    > Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
    > comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
    > sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I moved
    > waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally faster.
    > It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
    > times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise, it
    > is about 1.3 times faster.

    Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
    like all of them except text!

    --
    IAN. P. GARDNER
    ISLE OF WIGHT

    IAN GARDNER, Nov 1, 2004
  8. KD

    Thor Guest

    "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    >> "KD" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> They seem to be talking
    >>> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've
    >>> cached the entire internet and compressed it ???
    >>> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim
    >>> to speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
    >>>

    >> The way it works:
    >>
    >> Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
    >> accelerator server software
    >>
    >> Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
    >> comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
    >> sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I moved
    >> waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally faster.
    >> It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
    >> times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise, it
    >> is about 1.3 times faster.

    > Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
    > like all of them except text!

    It's the graphics on a webpage above all else that is compressed. But it is
    a lossy compression. It's like taking a JPG and recompressing it. You lose
    some picture quality in the process, but the file size is dramatically
    reduced, thus download time is substantially reduced. As long as you don't
    go crazy with the compression level, you'll still be able to see what the
    picture is. It's quality will just be reduced. Other things like ZIP files,
    and other types of compression used on downloadable archived files, cannot
    be subjected to a lossy compression scheme and still maintain their
    integrity and usability, so those are left untouched by the web accelerator.

    Thor, Nov 1, 2004
  9. KD

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    >>> "KD" <> wrote in

    >>> The way it works:
    >>>
    >>> Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
    >>> accelerator server software
    >>>
    >>> Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
    >>> comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
    >>> sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I
    >>> moved
    >>> waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally
    >>> faster.
    >>> It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
    >>> times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise,
    >>> it
    >>> is about 1.3 times faster.

    >> Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
    >> like all of them except text!

    > It's the graphics on a webpage above all else that is compressed. But it
    > is a lossy compression. It's like taking a JPG and recompressing it. You
    > lose some picture quality in the process, but the file size is
    > dramatically reduced, thus download time is substantially reduced. As long
    > as you don't go crazy with the compression level, you'll still be able to
    > see what the picture is. It's quality will just be reduced. Other things
    > like ZIP files, and other types of compression used on downloadable
    > archived files, cannot be subjected to a lossy compression scheme and
    > still maintain their integrity and usability, so those are left untouched
    > by the web accelerator.

    I know. I wouldn`t waste my money. The extra you pay for this service plus
    your charge on the dial-up then it proberly equates to the same (or nearlly)
    cost for broadband.

    --
    IAN. P. GARDNER
    ISLE OF WIGHT

    IAN GARDNER, Nov 2, 2004
  10. KD

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message

    >>> Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
    >>> like all of them except text!

    >> It's the graphics on a webpage above all else that is compressed. But it
    >> is a lossy compression. It's like taking a JPG and recompressing it. You
    >> lose some picture quality in the process, but the file size is
    >> dramatically reduced, thus download time is substantially reduced. As
    >> long as you don't go crazy with the compression level, you'll still be
    >> able to see what the picture is. It's quality will just be reduced. Other
    >> things like ZIP files, and other types of compression used on
    >> downloadable archived files, cannot be subjected to a lossy compression
    >> scheme and still maintain their integrity and usability, so those are
    >> left untouched by the web accelerator.

    > I know. I wouldn`t waste my money. The extra you pay for this service plus
    > your charge on the dial-up then it proberly equates to the same (or
    > nearlly) cost for broadband.

    agreed, but for some, broadband is not an available option. Such as in rural
    areas. Satellite is still prohibitively expensive for many too. So there are
    quite a few people in my area that use the accelerator services and I have
    to work around that damn software when troubleshooting. Sucks.

    Thor, Nov 2, 2004
  11. KD

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in

    > I know. I wouldn`t waste my money. The extra you pay for this service
    > plus your charge on the dial-up then it proberly equates to the same
    > (or nearlly) cost for broadband.

    My employer charges $2/month extra for highspeed, and it includes a
    challenge/response spam filter, extra email/mailbox space,etc. Overall,
    not a bad deal, but I wouldn't pay just for the higher speed (it is still
    quite slow, not even noticably faster)

    Jim Berwick, Nov 5, 2004