dial up problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jeremy, May 28, 2004.

  1. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    Win2K Pro, new install and reinstall within the last week to try and fix
    the problem. I seem to have a corruption in the dial up connections. AV,
    spyware, disk clean-up, defrag, all done multiple times, nothing weird
    on the startup or background program lists and Client for MS uninstalled
    and reinstalled but the OS will not let me do the same for the tcp/ip.

    Symptoms;
    often the modem scream goes on for ever
    sometimes connects at very slow kbps speeds below my isp threshold
    often generates error messages, seldom the same twice, but include;
    unable to establish PPP protocols, unable to establish connection with
    remote, ad infinitum

    After a cold boot it sometimes connects at normal speed after one or two
    tries.

    Is there a method for uninstalling the tcp/ip and doing a fresh install?
    Any suggestions for alternative fixes?
    Could these symptoms be caused by degraded phone connections?

    TIA

    Jeremy

    jeremy, May 28, 2004

  2. jeremy

    Jerry G. Guest

    I would strongly suggest to try another modem! I have seen defective modems
    do this from time to time. I have no idea of what components are failing in
    the modem, which does not make much difference, because it is non
    serviceable anyways.

    I would not rule out the telephone line, but most of the time, it was the
    modem when I had this type of fault.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., May 28, 2004

  3. jeremy

    colin Guest

    > "jeremy" wrote
    > Win2K Pro, new install and reinstall within the last week to try and fix
    > the problem. I seem to have a corruption in the dial up connections. AV,
    > spyware, disk clean-up, defrag, all done multiple times, nothing weird
    > on the startup or background program lists and Client for MS uninstalled
    > and reinstalled but the OS will not let me do the same for the tcp/ip.
    >
    > Symptoms;
    > often the modem scream goes on for ever
    > sometimes connects at very slow kbps speeds below my isp threshold
    > often generates error messages, seldom the same twice, but include;
    > unable to establish PPP protocols, unable to establish connection with
    > remote, ad infinitum
    >
    > After a cold boot it sometimes connects at normal speed after one or two
    > tries.
    >
    > Is there a method for uninstalling the tcp/ip and doing a fresh install?
    > Any suggestions for alternative fixes?
    > Could these symptoms be caused by degraded phone connections?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jeremy

    Jerry G. wrote
    > I would strongly suggest to try another modem! I have seen defective

    modems
    > do this from time to time. I have no idea of what components are failing

    in
    > the modem, which does not make much difference, because it is non
    > serviceable anyways.
    >
    > I would not rule out the telephone line, but most of the time, it was the
    > modem when I had this type of fault.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > =====

    I`ll second that Jerry; as I`ve had a netcomm in5692 pci modem display
    exactly the same problems; which after I`d gone over every other
    possibility; namely a faulty line, another phone on the same line, incorrect
    modem driver, firewall settings, and every other thing imaginable; I then
    tried a different (known good) modem....no problems then.

    colin, May 28, 2004
  4. jeremy

    Thor Guest

    "jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > Win2K Pro, new install and reinstall within the last week to try and fix
    > the problem. I seem to have a corruption in the dial up connections. AV,
    > spyware, disk clean-up, defrag, all done multiple times, nothing weird
    > on the startup or background program lists and Client for MS uninstalled
    > and reinstalled but the OS will not let me do the same for the tcp/ip.
    >
    > Symptoms;
    > often the modem scream goes on for ever
    > sometimes connects at very slow kbps speeds below my isp threshold
    > often generates error messages, seldom the same twice, but include;
    > unable to establish PPP protocols, unable to establish connection with
    > remote, ad infinitum

    If the modem scream goes on forever, it is more likely either a line
    problem, or a driver issue with the modem in that it is failing to properly
    handshake with the remote host modem. All of this can result in the
    secondary error messages you are getting, if basic communication is
    difficult for the modem due to the problems I cited. I seriously doubt that
    your TCP/IP stack has anything to do with it. If you had not just changed
    OSes (and as a result, changed drivers) I'd say it's definitely a line
    problem, but if the problem arrived after changing the OS to Win2K, then
    it's either a coincidence, and it is still a line problem, or it is a driver
    issue that appeared with the use of the different driver.

    Thor, May 28, 2004
  5. jeremy

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:16:17 -0500, jeremy <> wrote:

    >Win2K Pro, new install and reinstall within the last week to try and fix
    >the problem. I seem to have a corruption in the dial up connections. AV,
    >spyware, disk clean-up, defrag, all done multiple times, nothing weird
    >on the startup or background program lists and Client for MS uninstalled
    >and reinstalled but the OS will not let me do the same for the tcp/ip.
    >
    >Symptoms;
    >often the modem scream goes on for ever
    >sometimes connects at very slow kbps speeds below my isp threshold
    >often generates error messages, seldom the same twice, but include;
    >unable to establish PPP protocols, unable to establish connection with
    >remote, ad infinitum
    >
    >After a cold boot it sometimes connects at normal speed after one or two
    >tries.
    >
    >Is there a method for uninstalling the tcp/ip and doing a fresh install?
    >Any suggestions for alternative fixes?
    >Could these symptoms be caused by degraded phone connections?

    More than likely, you have the wrong driver.

    Go to the modem site and try a different driver.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 28, 2004