Dial Up Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Jan 18, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    (I know that some of you are annoyed by cross-posted messages, I will
    probably cross-post this one, albeit in separate postings, I've got to get
    to the bottom of this)

    Hello again,

    A customer of mine is having a sporadic, yet persistent, problem. When the
    problem is in force, he cannot disconnect, unless he shuts the computer
    down. Then, upon reboot, he will attempt to connect; he does NOT connect,
    yet if he right-clicks on the dial-up icon, the menu displays "Disconnect",
    as if the OS "thinks" that he is connected. Sometimes, the shortcut for
    dialup that is on the desktop disappears; sometimes, the shortcut that is in
    the tray disappears. Also, I was unable to see the Windows Firewall.
    Obviously, the connection is "confused".

    OS: Windows XP HE SP2, newly re-installed, as of 3 weeks ago.

    I've tried several different modems, to no avail.

    Modem first connects through a UPS, then goes to a splitter, which also
    accomodates a standard telephone. My first thought was, it's the UPS,
    disconnected from the UPS, did not solve problem. My second thought was,
    it's the splitter; I went direct to the telephone port, still did not solve
    the problem.

    Some of the error messages that I saw while trying to work through this:

    1) "Cannot save password. Error 621: The system could not open the phone
    book file"

    2) "Unable to create the specified connection. This can be caused by
    insufficient memory or not enough disk space"

    3) "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed"

    4) "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ICS service"

    5) "Cannot load dialup. Error 1727: The remote procedure call failed and
    did not execute"

    Customer does not game, gamble, share music or view pornography.

    Yesterday, after researching this problem, and arming myself with what I
    thought would be enough information to fix this problem (most specifically,
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article ID 254631, which advises to ensure that
    certain network-related services are enabled and on) , I went over to his
    place. The problem had gone away, by itself. No problem connecting,
    disconnecting, able to see and change firewall settings. He gave me a
    check, and off I went.

    He just called and told me that the problem is back.

    Has anybody seen this, or properly repaired it?

    Thanks, in advance.

    smackedass

    --
    Kema Computer Consulting
    Kenneth E. Newton, Proprietor

    smackedass, Jan 18, 2007

  2. smackedass

    JohnO Guest

    > A customer of mine is having a sporadic, yet persistent, problem. When the
    > problem is in force, he cannot disconnect, unless he shuts the computer
    > down. Then, upon reboot, he will attempt to connect; he does NOT connect,
    > yet if he right-clicks on the dial-up icon, the menu displays "Disconnect",
    > as if the OS "thinks" that he is connected. Sometimes, the shortcut for
    > dialup that is on the desktop disappears; sometimes, the shortcut that is in
    > the tray disappears. Also, I was unable to see the Windows Firewall.
    > Obviously, the connection is "confused".

    I can't imagine how the phone system would prevent the modem from
    hanging up, so my guess is a bad DUN service or driver or something.
    That's no help, so maybe try posting this at
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware.

    And don't forget to share the answer. ;-)

    -John O

    JohnO, Jan 18, 2007

  3. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > And don't forget to share the answer. ;-)
    >
    > -John O

    Oh, I won't, don't worry ;)

    sa

    smackedass, Jan 18, 2007
  4. did you run a full addware et scan
    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:46:50 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >(I know that some of you are annoyed by cross-posted messages, I will
    >probably cross-post this one, albeit in separate postings, I've got to get
    >to the bottom of this)
    >
    >Hello again,
    >
    >A customer of mine is having a sporadic, yet persistent, problem. When the
    >problem is in force, he cannot disconnect, unless he shuts the computer
    >down. Then, upon reboot, he will attempt to connect; he does NOT connect,
    >yet if he right-clicks on the dial-up icon, the menu displays "Disconnect",
    >as if the OS "thinks" that he is connected. Sometimes, the shortcut for
    >dialup that is on the desktop disappears; sometimes, the shortcut that is in
    >the tray disappears. Also, I was unable to see the Windows Firewall.
    >Obviously, the connection is "confused".
    >
    >OS: Windows XP HE SP2, newly re-installed, as of 3 weeks ago.
    >
    >I've tried several different modems, to no avail.
    >
    >Modem first connects through a UPS, then goes to a splitter, which also
    >accomodates a standard telephone. My first thought was, it's the UPS,
    >disconnected from the UPS, did not solve problem. My second thought was,
    >it's the splitter; I went direct to the telephone port, still did not solve
    >the problem.
    >
    >Some of the error messages that I saw while trying to work through this:
    >
    >1) "Cannot save password. Error 621: The system could not open the phone
    >book file"
    >
    >2) "Unable to create the specified connection. This can be caused by
    >insufficient memory or not enough disk space"
    >
    >3) "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed"
    >
    >4) "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ICS service"
    >
    >5) "Cannot load dialup. Error 1727: The remote procedure call failed and
    >did not execute"
    >
    >Customer does not game, gamble, share music or view pornography.
    >
    >Yesterday, after researching this problem, and arming myself with what I
    >thought would be enough information to fix this problem (most specifically,
    >Microsoft Knowledge Base Article ID 254631, which advises to ensure that
    >certain network-related services are enabled and on) , I went over to his
    >place. The problem had gone away, by itself. No problem connecting,
    >disconnecting, able to see and change firewall settings. He gave me a
    >check, and off I went.
    >
    >He just called and told me that the problem is back.
    >
    >Has anybody seen this, or properly repaired it?
    >
    >Thanks, in advance.
    >
    >smackedass

    To reply remove
    ihatespam.