    does anyone know how to get rid of this?

    Thanks.

    Colin

    Colin Sandall, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Colin Sandall

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:43:23 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Sandall"
    <> wrote:

    >A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
    >in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
    >Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that cost
    >god knows how much per minute.
    >
    >I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's going
    >to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
    >after the machine has been rebooted.
    >
    >I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
    >sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
    >does anyone know how to get rid of this?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Colin

    spybot

    Go to google and find it, its free.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Colin Sandall

    donnie Guest

    <> wrote:

    >A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
    >in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
    >Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that cost
    >god knows how much per minute.
    >
    >I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's going
    >to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
    >after the machine has been rebooted.
    >
    >I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
    >sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
    >does anyone know how to get rid of this?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Colin

    #####################
    Check the registry
    HKEYLOCALMACHINE
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Run
    Also, it there is an autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini or msconfig,
    look there too.
    donnie.

    donnie, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Colin Sandall

    David Shaw Guest

    I'd try running spybot search and destroy and adaware and see if it
    works. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you. Unplug the modem and get
    cable instead?

    -ds

    David Shaw, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Dear All,

    Many thanks for the suggestions you have made. Unfortunately, none of them
    worked.

    I had already tried running Track Zapper and had installed System Mechanic
    to see exactly what was running at startup. Still couldn't get rid of it.
    Today I tried Spy Bot and that didn't work. I then restored the machine
    from before the problem started and ran spy bot again. Still no joy.

    This is really bugging me. Somehow the problem is connected with Outlook
    Express. The dialler gets changed to one that is obviously a scam so to
    this extent it is not a problem.

    Any more suggestions?

    Thanks.

    Colin

    Colin Sandall, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Colin Sandall

    Rasta Robert Guest

    On 2004-10-18, Colin Sandall <> wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > Many thanks for the suggestions you have made. Unfortunately, none of them
    > worked.
    >
    > I had already tried running Track Zapper and had installed System Mechanic
    > to see exactly what was running at startup. Still couldn't get rid of it.
    > Today I tried Spy Bot and that didn't work. I then restored the machine
    > from before the problem started and ran spy bot again. Still no joy.
    >
    > This is really bugging me. Somehow the problem is connected with Outlook
    > Express. The dialler gets changed to one that is obviously a scam so to
    > this extent it is not a problem.
    >
    > Any more suggestions?

    Try to scan with Adaware, Spybot S&D and/or Spysweeper after booting into
    safe mode.

    RR--//->
    --
    <http://rr.www.cistron.nl/> -!- <http://www.rr.dds.nl/>

    Rasta Robert, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Colin Sandall

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:15:05 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Sandall"
    <> wrote:

    >Dear All,
    >
    >Many thanks for the suggestions you have made. Unfortunately, none of them
    >worked.
    >
    >I had already tried running Track Zapper and had installed System Mechanic
    >to see exactly what was running at startup. Still couldn't get rid of it.
    >Today I tried Spy Bot and that didn't work. I then restored the machine
    >from before the problem started and ran spy bot again. Still no joy.
    >
    >This is really bugging me. Somehow the problem is connected with Outlook
    >Express. The dialler gets changed to one that is obviously a scam so to
    >this extent it is not a problem.
    >
    >Any more suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Colin

    Colin,

    Dialer hijacks are sometimes the devil to remove. You may need a number of
    tools, but I'd personally recommend HijackThis with expert advice as a final
    tool, even if the others immediately appear to solve the problem.

    Please use HijackThis, and post link(s) to your forum post(s) here in your
    reply.

    Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools:
    AdAware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
    CWShredder <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>
    HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
    LSP-Fix and WinsockXPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
    Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>
    Stinger <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>

    Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
    downloaded file there. AdAware, CWShredder, and Spybot S&D have install
    routines - run them. The other downloaded programs can be copied into, and run
    from, any convenient folder.

    First, run Stinger. Have it remove any problems found.

    Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, and run CWShredder. Have
    it fix all problems found.

    Next, run AdAware. First update it ("Check for updates now"), configure for
    full scan (<http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877>), then scan. When
    scanning finishes, remove all Critical Objects found.

    Next, run Spybot S&D. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a scan
    ("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and delete everything ("Fix Problems")
    that is displayed in Red.

    Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
    HJT Log.
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
    <http://www1.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/prevent.php>

    Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
    following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
    Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
    Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
    Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
    Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
    Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

    If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
    spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
    network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

    Finally, improve your chances for the future.

    Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
    vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
    https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

    Block Internet Explorer ActiveX scripting from hostile websites (Restricted
    Zone).
    <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main.htm> (IE-SpyAd)

    Block known dangerous scripts from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>

    Block known spyware from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>

    Make sure that the spyware detection / protection products that you use are
    reliable:

    Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly for security updates.
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
    use:
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    (The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

    Maintain your Hosts file (merge / eliminate duplicate entries) with:
    eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
    Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

    Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
    any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
    an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
    administrative tasks.

    Use common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon advice from unknown
    sources. Don't install free software, without researching it carefully. Don't
    open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why it was sent.

    Educate yourself. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read Usenet, and
    various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs from the
    security products that you use regularly, look for things that don't belong, and
    take action when necessary.

    How did I get infected in the first place?
    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
    Essential tips for infection prevention
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=24339

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Colin Sandall

    Christo Guest

    >A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
    > in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
    > Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that
    > cost
    > god knows how much per minute.
    >
    > I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's
    > going
    > to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
    > after the machine has been rebooted.
    >
    > I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
    > sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
    > does anyone know how to get rid of this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Colin

    download spybot search and destroy its free, make sure its 100% updated on
    the proper internet connection

    go to run type 'msconfig'

    click on the BOOT.INI header and select /safeboot

    restart the puter... run spybot this should clean up any bad things anywhere
    on the computer.

    you should also after doing this and restarting in normal mode

    to do this go to msconfig and untick /safeboot

    type msconfig again whilst in normal mode and go to Start up header

    look down that list, maybe google everything on the list and if anything
    comes up bad uncheck it

    another idea after doing this is to right click on my computer and go to
    system restore header and disable it

    also go to C:\documents and settings\YOUR USER\

    then click tools and folder options click view

    and in hidden folders and files check

    show hidden folders and files

    this should allow you to see a folder in the C:\documents and settings\YOU
    USER\ a folder called Local Settings

    click thi folder

    in this folder there will be a folder called temp

    open temp select all of the files within the temp folder and delete them

    this can be done in safemode and really should be as some of the files in
    temp may be in use (bad files generally)

    do not delete the actualy folder just the contents of it

    you should also get a firewall and stop going on dodgey porn sites

    Christo, Oct 28, 2004