    a 678 error>
    --
    Ron
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 14, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help,
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverdialup.htm
    :sun;

    Jack, Jan 14, 2006

  3. "Ron" <> wrote in message
    >I have a 2 computer wireless network in my home. Both are running XP. I am
    > trying to access a dial up connection on my decktop from the laptop. Ya, I
    > know. but dial up is the only thing available to me!
    > On the host (desktop) I have set the properties to allow other computers
    > on
    > my network to use its dialup. is there anything else on the desktop that I
    > need to do?
    >
    > How do I setup up the laptop to use the desktop for internet access? I
    > have
    > established a connection and it tries to connect over my wireless but I
    > get
    > a 678 error>
    > --
    > Ron

    I just started a thread asking about using a wireless linksys router for
    dialup. I am still on a crossover cable and was having trouble sharing the
    internet from the laptop(client) with the desktop(host), until I found this
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

    Took about one minute to get the laptop to use the desktop for connecting to
    the internet.

    Maybe you might have some thoughts on switching from the crossover cable to
    the router? the laptop has wireless built in, which works great at work.

    Thanks
    Bob
    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 15, 2006
  4. Bob,
    First a question. Did you use this program "proxy"?

    I have a desktop and a laptop and a wireless printer but dialup ISp service.
    .. I installed a Linksys router to connect all three. I have a Ethernet cable
    between the DT and the router. But ust the wireless for connecting the LT and
    printer. The Linksys setup softwart complained because I didn't have a DSL or
    cable modem so I had to set it up manually. I called Linksys and they helped,
    It took maybe 15 minutes! It now works fine.
    --
    Ron

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jan 16, 2006
  5. "Ron" <> wrote in message
    > Bob,
    > First a question. Did you use this program "proxy"?
    >
    > I have a desktop and a laptop and a wireless printer but dialup ISp
    > service.
    > . I installed a Linksys router to connect all three. I have a Ethernet
    > cable
    > between the DT and the router. But ust the wireless for connecting the LT
    > and
    > printer. The Linksys setup softwart complained because I didn't have a DSL
    > or
    > cable modem so I had to set it up manually. I called Linksys and they
    > helped,
    > It took maybe 15 minutes! It now works fine.
    > --
    > Ron

    Yes I used the proxy server for getting a dialup wireless connection with
    the laptop.

    I have the Ethernet cable from the DT to the router (used one of the
    Ethernet ports, not the internet port on the linksys router).

    I put the proxy server on the desktop. Zone Alarm Pro was also giving me
    problems until I finally got the dialup internet share on the LT.

    I never could install the router correctly using the setup disc that came
    with. I guess I should give a call to Linksys and see about doing it the
    right way.

    I don't think I have any security concerns about my wireless network at home
    since I am out in the sticks and live in the middle of 10 acres. But still
    would like to setup correctly if possible.

    Hope the proxy server works OK for you.

    I am now up and running wireless file, printer and internet sharing on the
    LT.

    Bob
    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 17, 2006