    remained in the 20s for over a month now. I cannot blame the ISPs
    because I've been using two ISPs on the same PC for a long time and
    both are affected. Any answers? Thank You
    Way Back Jack, May 25, 2007

  2. Way Back Jack wrote:
    > has dropped from 44-45 kbps to 24-28.8. This has happened in the past
    > but always bounced back to 44-45 after a day or two. However, it has
    > remained in the 20s for over a month now. I cannot blame the ISPs
    > because I've been using two ISPs on the same PC for a long time and
    > both are affected. Any answers? Thank You

    Been covered ad nauseum. Noise on the line is the biggest culprit. Have
    the phone company check your line. DO NOT tell them it's for your modem,
    they are neither required nor give a shit about your modem. Tell them
    it's for your fax, that's different. Secondly, you have phone-line
    connections in your home that are substandard. Run a phone line directly
    from the modem to the phone jack on the outside wall and try again.
    Thirdly, something wonky about the modem itself. Upgrade the drivers or
    replace modem.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 25, 2007

  3. Way Back Jack

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-05-25, Way Back Jack <> wrote:
    > has dropped from 44-45 kbps to 24-28.8. This has happened in the past
    > but always bounced back to 44-45 after a day or two. However, it has
    > remained in the 20s for over a month now. I cannot blame the ISPs
    > because I've been using two ISPs on the same PC for a long time and
    > both are affected. Any answers? Thank You

    Try using s different modem. If both modems have the same result, then
    suspect the phone line; as long as you are sure that none of the equipment
    you have attached to your phone line yourself is causing a problem, report
    a fault to the telephone company - they may take some persuading to send
    someone out to test the line from your end, but that's the only way to be
    sure that all faults have been traced and repaired.

    It's possible that your phone line has recently been "DACSed" to share one
    line between two or more customers; that would reduce the available 'speed'
    from a dial-up modem without any noticeable effect on voice calls.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 25, 2007
  4. Way Back Jack

    tom Guest

    > Way Back Jack wrote:
    > > has dropped from 44-45 kbps to 24-28.8. This has happened in the past
    > > but always bounced back to 44-45 after a day or two. However, it has
    > > remained in the 20s for over a month now. I cannot blame the ISPs
    > > because I've been using two ISPs on the same PC for a long time and
    > > both are affected. Any answers? Thank You

    I started having problems when I used dial up many years ago. My issue
    turned out to be that the hardware the city had installed on my water meter
    that dialed in my water usage once a month had gone bad and was interfering
    with my computer modem. I called the city and they said they'd had many
    complaints and they came out and changed the meter and that solved the
    problem. Just to be sure I also ran a direct phone line from my telephone
    interface box to my computer at that time.
    tom, May 25, 2007
  5. Way Back Jack

    Guest

    (Way Back Jack) wrote:

    >has dropped from 44-45 kbps to 24-28.8. This has happened in the past
    >but always bounced back to 44-45 after a day or two. However, it has
    >remained in the 20s for over a month now. I cannot blame the ISPs
    >because I've been using two ISPs on the same PC for a long time and
    >both are affected. Any answers? Thank You

    External modems - unplug for awhile.

    A catch all for modem problems is to reset them.

    Start | Run <type in>
    hypertrm
    <enter>

    Select a comm port - anything for a name.

    In CAPS type in:
    ATZ <enter>
    you will see OK
    (you might not see ATZ being typed in)