dial up - making it faster?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by The Screaming Banshee, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. are their any tricks to making a dial up connection connect faster?
    The Screaming Banshee, Nov 18, 2005

  2. The Screaming Banshee

    bmoag Guest

    Convert to DSL?
    bmoag, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Well I would if I could. It is not available to me. I live out in the
    country.

    The only way would be satelite DSL with DirecTV but as much as our signal
    sucks for TV, I assume it would be the same weak signal for internet too.

    The Screaming Banshee, Nov 18, 2005
  4. The Screaming Banshee

    Plato Guest

    The Screaming Banshee wrote:

    > are their any tricks to making a dial up connection connect faster?

    Run the best phone wire from the connection in the basement to your
    jack. Only use it for that number eg dont run two numbers through it.
    Try to keep it away from electrical wire and motors. The wire that's
    often sold in stores is about half as thick as the wire the phone
    company uses so see if you can get some of that.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 19, 2005
  5. The Screaming Banshee

    JANA Guest

    When you check the on line driver, if the speed is better than 42K you are
    doing great with a dialup modem. There is not much you can do better than
    that. It is best to have no phones connected on the line while you are using
    the modem. The wiring to the telephone company's connection box should be of
    the best quality JKT or equivalent.

    Since you mentioned in another posting that in your area there is no DSL
    yet, you should consider finding out how to go high speed in your area using
    alternatives. If you have some type of cable or satellite service that
    offers high speed, then you should go for it. There are also many service
    providers that can work with point to point microwave repeater services, and
    they are not too expensive. Unlike a standard twisted pair, as in telephone
    lines, the other service will work very well in remote areas, if they offer
    them.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Convert to DSL?
    JANA, Nov 19, 2005
  6. The Screaming Banshee

    dennis Guest

    "The Screaming Banshee" <> wrote in message
    > Well I would if I could. It is not available to me. I live out in the
    > country.
    >
    > The only way would be satelite DSL with DirecTV but as much as our signal
    > sucks for TV, I assume it would be the same weak signal for internet too.
    >

    > "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    >> Convert to DSL?

    Might also check with other alternatives... I know here in oregon there is a
    WiMax installation just for the rural area of Hermiston. It appears there
    may have been some infrascture already in place (from Umitilla Army Depot)
    but it may just be a matter of time for your area.

    Also... this am I was talking with a marketing rep of a small telco/isp
    firm. They are installing wifi for around their area. Supposed to have a
    coverage of about 5 miles. It will operate in the 900Mhz range so it will
    not be line of sight but rather a cloud as I recall. The pricing he was
    quoting wasn't all that bad... roughly 40/mo for 512 down and 384 up.
    Again, considering this is for a rural area, not all that bad.

    Might want to check with your telco's in your area to see if there is
    anything in the works.

    hth
    dennis
    dennis, Nov 19, 2005
  7. The Screaming Banshee

    dr. Bill Guest

    dr. Bill, Nov 19, 2005
  8. The Screaming Banshee

    Fakename Guest

    Some dial up providers are offering a version that uses compression and
    proxies to cache data. It can be faster overall, for commonly used
    sites, or so I've heard.

    Fakename, Nov 20, 2005
  9. The Screaming Banshee

    The One Guest

    > are their any tricks to making a dial up connection connect faster?

    Yes get it Braodband enabled and get a Broadband modem and ISP you tight
    tight man.
    The One, Nov 24, 2005