    windows until the system decides to respond again.
    At this point, after 7 months, I don't want to have to reinstall everything
    and start over. Any ideas besides repair, which didn't work?

    John Barnes, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Tried another modem?
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 2, 2006

  3. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    No I haven't. Bought this one for x64 specifically since my USB modem
    wouldn't work on x64. It worked for several months with this modem and this
    modem still works, along with the usb modem on x86 with no problems with the
    task bar.

    John Barnes, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Tell me, did you have this behavior from the outset, or did it start at some
    later point. I can understand that your working habits are not entirely
    conforming to the usage of the avarage user. This 'could' imply that your
    setup has evolved in some considerable fashion over time?

    Since this is only occuring when connected, although not necessarily
    originating with the connection, this could be something that is triggered
    somewhere else by being connected. I was thinking - in an evolving
    environment, it is extremely hard to keep track of the services that Windows
    is starting by default, quite a lot of those are not mandatory at all but
    follows the MS 'one-size-fits-all' philosophy.

    Unfortunately, this fact makes it just as hard to fail-search, and I realize
    that experiments are not something you'd like on the menu in a working
    environment. One other thought: is the system doing any kind of heavy
    logging of your activities?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 2, 2006
  5. One other thing just occured to me - since you are running a modem. Are you
    using any wireless? Keyboard; Mouse?

    Have you tried moving the modem around inside the box? Not the usual contact
    issue, I'm thinking more like frequency and interference???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 2, 2006
  6. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    > Tell me, did you have this behavior from the outset, or did it start at
    > some later point.

    It was probably 2-3 months after the last installation

    I can understand that your working habits are not entirely
    > conforming to the usage of the avarage user. This 'could' imply that your
    > setup has evolved in some considerable fashion over time?

    95% of the installation of drivers and software was attempted within the
    first week after installation. I have only added a few programs which have
    been found (developed) which replaced x86 functions which I could not
    install or which would not work that I used on x86

    > Since this is only occuring when connected, although not necessarily
    > originating with the connection,

    This happens only starting the second that the connection completes. Not
    during the dialing portion or before and after it is working, does not
    repeat until the next connection

    this could be something that is triggered
    > somewhere else by being connected. I was thinking - in an evolving
    > environment, it is extremely hard to keep track of the services that
    > Windows is starting by default, quite a lot of those are not mandatory at
    > all but follows the MS 'one-size-fits-all' philosophy.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this fact makes it just as hard to fail-search, and I
    > realize that experiments are not something you'd like on the menu in a
    > working environment. One other thought: is the system doing any kind of
    > heavy logging of your activities?

    As far as I can see in the logs, only the actual connection is logged as
    The user successfully established a connection to Hotdial
    Slow using the device COM5.

    I have currently 2 dial up connections and both (other isp's also) have
    acted the same.

    John Barnes, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Wow! This is not giving away a lot of leads, is it? O.K. - COM5, then - I
    vaguely remember the different COM ports not having the same buffering
    subsystem, any chance you could put it on COM1 without any conflicts?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 2, 2006
  8. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    No wireless and the modem works in the same box on x86 perfectly
    Also the freeze is related to explorer.exe not iexplore.exe

    John Barnes, Jan 2, 2006
  9. John, When I installed XP64 I also had trouble with my USB modem, but I
    found as soon as I switched from USB to Ethernet the problem was solved. I
    hope that helps.

    Bob

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Jan 3, 2006
  10. John Barnes

    Randy Guest

    John,

    You might try one of those tweaks for your MTU et al. values; I'm guessing
    x64 was setup for network-based networking only, and as such would introduce
    some bottlenecks into dial-up connections.

    I've been going through a network modem and haven't noticed the freeze ups.
    I suppose that although my ISP is reached via dial-up, my network handles
    the information flow such that I'm not affected the way you are.

    I *have* seen similar symptoms before on a non-x64 system, just can't recall
    what it ended up being. It was sporadic, IIRC, like an INT conflict among my
    peripherals. May need to go in and manually set your COM baud rates etc.?
    Just a thought...

    Randy, Jan 3, 2006