    program and it says the computer has no viruses.

    Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what may be
    causing it? Thanks very much.
    George S, Jun 1, 2005

  2. George S

    PC Guest

    "George S" <George > wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an annoying problem, my dial up connection notice just keeps on
    >popping up, even when I am not using programs that require the computer to
    >go on to internet. It has only been happening for the last week or so, and
    >I have run Ad-Aware SE Personal to see if there is any spyware that might
    >be causing the problem, but none has been reported. I have had a look
    >through the programs listed by Zone Alarm and I see that I have acquired
    >recently a program called mcm3.exe which might be part of the problem? I
    >have been unable to delete this program from the computer. I have run my
    >AVG virus program and it says the computer has no viruses.
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what may
    > be causing it? Thanks very much.

    Using Goggle I found from Castle Cops that mcm3.exe is
    "
    ShopAtHome/SAHagent adware variant
    "

    Look in your startup files, & registry entries.

    Hope this helps.

    Paul
    PC, Jun 1, 2005

  3. George S

    Frederick Guest

    George S wrote:

    > I have an annoying problem, my dial up connection notice just keeps on
    > popping up, even when I am not using programs that require the computer to
    > go on to internet. It has only been happening for the last week or so, and I
    > have run Ad-Aware SE Personal to see if there is any spyware that might be
    > causing the problem, but none has been reported. I have had a look through
    > the programs listed by Zone Alarm and I see that I have acquired recently a
    > program called mcm3.exe which might be part of the problem? I have been
    > unable to delete this program from the computer. I have run my AVG virus
    > program and it says the computer has no viruses.
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what may be
    > causing it? Thanks very much.

    It is probably the program that you have identified which is
    adware/spyware - and possibly others, trying to "phone home"
    periodically and bringing up your coonect to internet dialog.
    Firstly, block the program's internet access with Zone Alarm.
    Then download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft AdAware to
    remove it.
    Frederick, Jun 2, 2005
  4. George S

    George S Guest

    "Frederick" <> wrote in message
    > George S wrote:
    >
    >> I have an annoying problem, my dial up connection notice just keeps on
    >> popping up, even when I am not using programs that require the computer
    >> to go on to internet. It has only been happening for the last week or so,
    >> and I have run Ad-Aware SE Personal to see if there is any spyware that
    >> might be causing the problem, but none has been reported. I have had a
    >> look through the programs listed by Zone Alarm and I see that I have
    >> acquired recently a program called mcm3.exe which might be part of the
    >> problem? I have been unable to delete this program from the computer. I
    >> have run my AVG virus program and it says the computer has no viruses.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what may
    >> be causing it? Thanks very much.

    > It is probably the program that you have identified which is
    > adware/spyware - and possibly others, trying to "phone home" periodically
    > and bringing up your coonect to internet dialog.
    > Firstly, block the program's internet access with Zone Alarm.
    > Then download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft AdAware to
    > remove it.

    Thank you Frederick and Paul for this advice. However, I have used Spybot
    and Lavasoft Adaware, blocked mcm3.exe internet access with Zone Alarm,
    deleted mcm3 from the start up files (RUN MSCONFIG STARTUP), but the problem
    remains. It happened after I downloaded a free internet phone program Yadio,
    which I have now deleted. However, Yadio may not have been the source of the
    problem and it may not be mcm3.exe which is causing the dial up connection
    notice to keep on reappearing every 10 seconds or so after I have deleted
    it! Any other suggestions to fix this problem would be welcome.

    Thanks

    George
    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  5. George S

    PAM. Guest

    "George S" <George > wrote in message
    > >> I have an annoying problem, my dial up connection notice just keeps on
    > >> popping up, even when I am not using programs that require the computer
    > >> to go on to internet. It has only been happening for the last week or

    so,
    > >> and I have run Ad-Aware SE Personal to see if there is any spyware that
    > >> might be causing the problem, but none has been reported. I have had a
    > >> look through the programs listed by Zone Alarm and I see that I have
    > >> acquired recently a program called mcm3.exe which might be part of the
    > >> problem? I have been unable to delete this program from the computer. I
    > >> have run my AVG virus program and it says the computer has no viruses.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what

    may
    > >> be causing it? Thanks very much.

    > > It is probably the program that you have identified which is
    > > adware/spyware - and possibly others, trying to "phone home"

    periodically
    > > and bringing up your coonect to internet dialog.
    > > Firstly, block the program's internet access with Zone Alarm.
    > > Then download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft AdAware to
    > > remove it.

    > Thank you Frederick and Paul for this advice. However, I have used Spybot
    > and Lavasoft Adaware, blocked mcm3.exe internet access with Zone Alarm,
    > deleted mcm3 from the start up files (RUN MSCONFIG STARTUP), but the

    problem
    > remains. It happened after I downloaded a free internet phone program

    Yadio,
    > which I have now deleted. However, Yadio may not have been the source of

    the
    > problem and it may not be mcm3.exe which is causing the dial up connection
    > notice to keep on reappearing every 10 seconds or so after I have deleted
    > it! Any other suggestions to fix this problem would be welcome.

    My partner had this problem on her pc a while ago and I think we traced it
    down to a MS settings issue. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me think
    what it was.
    Is it anything to do with your mail programm being open and wanting to auto
    download every x minutes?
    There's a panel where you set up the dial-up or lan connections, perhaps in
    Network connections, and perhaps in there there's a flag to set on/off to
    say never dial a connection.
    :)

    Unhelpful PAM.
    PAM., Jun 2, 2005
  6. George S

    H.O.G Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:36:05 +1200, "George S" <George >
    spoke these fine words:

    >I have an annoying problem, my dial up connection notice just keeps on
    >popping up, even when I am not using programs that require the computer to
    >go on to internet. It has only been happening for the last week or so, and I
    >have run Ad-Aware SE Personal to see if there is any spyware that might be
    >causing the problem, but none has been reported. I have had a look through
    >the programs listed by Zone Alarm and I see that I have acquired recently a
    >program called mcm3.exe which might be part of the problem? I have been
    >unable to delete this program from the computer. I have run my AVG virus
    >program and it says the computer has no viruses.
    >
    >Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what may be
    >causing it? Thanks very much.

    Hi, George.

    mcm3.exe IS spyware (ShopAtHome), and it is almost certainly what is
    trying to phone home. Are you sure you updated the definitions in
    Adaware? Also probably best to download Spybot Search and Destroy as
    well - often each of these miss stuff the other picks up.

    Anyway, the following link has full information, as well as full
    manual removal instructions:

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453076082
    H.O.G, Jun 2, 2005
  7. George S

    J.wilson Guest

    > Thank you Frederick and Paul for this advice. However, I have used Spybot
    > and Lavasoft Adaware, blocked mcm3.exe internet access with Zone Alarm,
    > deleted mcm3 from the start up files (RUN MSCONFIG STARTUP), but the
    > problem remains. It happened after I downloaded a free internet phone
    > program Yadio, which I have now deleted. However, Yadio may not have been
    > the source of the problem and it may not be mcm3.exe which is causing the
    > dial up connection notice to keep on reappearing every 10 seconds or so
    > after I have deleted it! Any other suggestions to fix this problem would
    > be welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > George

    I would check add/remove programs in control panel for
    strangers then run 'HijackThis'
    J.wilson, Jun 2, 2005
  8. George S

    George S Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in message

    > My partner had this problem on her pc a while ago and I think we traced it
    > down to a MS settings issue. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me
    > think
    > what it was.
    > Is it anything to do with your mail programm being open and wanting to
    > auto
    > download every x minutes?
    > There's a panel where you set up the dial-up or lan connections, perhaps
    > in
    > Network connections, and perhaps in there there's a flag to set on/off to
    > say never dial a connection.
    > :)
    >
    > Unhelpful PAM.

    I think you have solved this one for me PAM so you should have called
    yourself "Helpful Pam"!

    In Outlook Express, I went to: Tools, Options, Connection, Change, then
    under the heading "Choose settings if you need to configure a proxy server
    for a connection" I altered the setting from "Always dial my default
    connection" TO "Never dial a connection". This has stopped the dial-up
    connection from popping up all the time. The dial up connection was popping
    up even when Outlook Express was closed.

    Although this has solved the immediate problem, the underlying cause of why
    the computer started doing this is still a mystery to me.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Regards, George
    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  9. George S

    George S Guest

    "J.wilson" <> wrote in message

    > I would check add/remove programs in control panel for
    > strangers then run 'HijackThis'

    Good idea to do this, thanks!
    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  10. George S

    George S Guest

    "H.O.G" <> spoke these words of wisdom in message

    > On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:36:05 +1200, "George S" <George >
    > spoke these fine words:

    > Hi, George.
    >
    > mcm3.exe IS spyware (ShopAtHome), and it is almost certainly what is
    > trying to phone home. Are you sure you updated the definitions in
    > Adaware? Also probably best to download Spybot Search and Destroy as
    > well - often each of these miss stuff the other picks up.
    >
    > Anyway, the following link has full information, as well as full
    > manual removal instructions:
    >
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453076082

    Thanks HOG, it is interesting that the updated versions of both Spybot and
    Adaware SE Personal did not find or remove mcm3.exe, but after disabling it
    from the start up files list (Run msconfig start up) I was then able to
    delete the mcm3.exe from my computer. I think it may have come into the
    computer through one of the free internet radio stations that I was
    listening to, but I could be wrong on this.

    As mentioned to Pam, after altering the settings in Outlook Express for
    configuring a proxy server to: "Never dial a connection" the dial up
    connection no longer keeps popping up, but it will keep doing this if the
    setting is "Always dial my default connection" .

    I'm not sure why the dial up connection suddenly started popping up in the
    first place, so there may still be some "bad" software on my computer!

    Regards, George
    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  11. George S

    H.O.G Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:45:51 +1200, "George S" <George >
    spoke these fine words:

    >As mentioned to Pam, after altering the settings in Outlook Express for
    >configuring a proxy server to: "Never dial a connection" the dial up
    >connection no longer keeps popping up, but it will keep doing this if the
    >setting is "Always dial my default connection" .
    >
    >I'm not sure why the dial up connection suddenly started popping up in the
    >first place, so there may still be some "bad" software on my computer!

    Hmm, this is only addressing the symptoms and not the cause.

    Have you got a virus scanner?

    Did you go to add/remove programs, and look for " ShopAtHomeSelect
    Agent" ? There's a lot more to this one than just the file you
    discovered.

    Let us know how you get on.
    H.O.G, Jun 2, 2005
  12. George S

    PAM. Guest

    "George S" <George > wrote in message

    > I'm not sure why the dial up connection suddenly started popping up in the
    > first place, so there may still be some "bad" software on my computer!

    Perhaps the spy shit turned it on and may do so in the future. I'd keep an
    eye on it for a while at least.

    PAM.
    PAM., Jun 2, 2005
  13. George S

    Squirrel Guest

    wrote:

    >I have an annoying problem, my dial up connection notice just keeps on
    >popping up, even when I am not using programs that require the computer to
    >go on to internet. It has only been happening for the last week or so, and I
    >have run Ad-Aware SE Personal to see if there is any spyware that might be
    >causing the problem, but none has been reported. I have had a look through
    >the programs listed by Zone Alarm and I see that I have acquired recently a
    >program called mcm3.exe which might be part of the problem? I have been
    >unable to delete this program from the computer. I have run my AVG virus
    >program and it says the computer has no viruses.
    >
    >Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what may be
    >causing it? Thanks very much.

    I have made Outlook my default mail reader, but since switching to
    Broadband I have the same problem, which has forced me to do my email
    on the web which I hate and is far from ideal, is this a similar
    problem? I have run Norton, Spybot and adaware oh yes and avg and
    cleaned everything up but still it keeps happening.

    Squirrel

    I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy
    Squirrel, Jun 2, 2005
  14. George S

    PAM. Guest

    "George S" <George > wrote in message

    > I think you have solved this one for me PAM so you should have called
    > yourself "Helpful Pam"!

    **** me! That's a first.
    :)

    PAM.
    PAM., Jun 2, 2005
  15. George S

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:24:21 +1200, "PAM." <>
    wrote:

    >so,

    >may
    >> > It is probably the program that you have identified which is
    >> > adware/spyware - and possibly others, trying to "phone home"

    >periodically
    >> > and bringing up your coonect to internet dialog.
    >> > Firstly, block the program's internet access with Zone Alarm.
    >> > Then download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft AdAware to
    >> > remove it.

    >> Thank you Frederick and Paul for this advice. However, I have used Spybot
    >> and Lavasoft Adaware, blocked mcm3.exe internet access with Zone Alarm,
    >> deleted mcm3 from the start up files (RUN MSCONFIG STARTUP), but the

    >problem
    >> remains. It happened after I downloaded a free internet phone program

    >Yadio,
    >> which I have now deleted. However, Yadio may not have been the source of

    >the
    >> problem and it may not be mcm3.exe which is causing the dial up connection
    >> notice to keep on reappearing every 10 seconds or so after I have deleted
    >> it! Any other suggestions to fix this problem would be welcome.

    >My partner had this problem on her pc a while ago and I think we traced it
    >down to a MS settings issue. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me think
    >what it was.
    >Is it anything to do with your mail programm being open and wanting to auto
    >download every x minutes?
    >There's a panel where you set up the dial-up or lan connections, perhaps in
    >Network connections, and perhaps in there there's a flag to set on/off to
    >say never dial a connection.
    >:)
    >
    >Unhelpful PAM.

    I hunted hi and lo for never dial a connection, simply cannot find it,
    have tried a lan connection still no joy

    Squirrel

    I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy
    Squirrel, Jun 2, 2005
  16. George S

    George S Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:45:51 +1200, "George S" <George >
    > spoke these fine words:
    >

    >>As mentioned to Pam, after altering the settings in Outlook Express for
    >>configuring a proxy server to: "Never dial a connection" the dial up
    >>connection no longer keeps popping up, but it will keep doing this if the
    >>setting is "Always dial my default connection" .
    >>
    >>I'm not sure why the dial up connection suddenly started popping up in the
    >>first place, so there may still be some "bad" software on my computer!

    > Hmm, this is only addressing the symptoms and not the cause.
    >
    > Have you got a virus scanner?
    >
    > Did you go to add/remove programs, and look for " ShopAtHomeSelect
    > Agent" ? There's a lot more to this one than just the file you
    > discovered.
    >
    > Let us know how you get on.

    Thanks HOG for these comments. I have had a further look at my programs list
    but I don't think there is a "ShopAtHomeSelect Agent still there, now that I
    have removed the mcm3 program. However, there is another prompt that I am
    getting from Zone Alarm that says Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    wants to access the internet. I am not sure whether to permit this one or
    not, can anyone tell me what this generic host process is?

    Regards, George
    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  17. George S

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "George S" <George > wrote in news::

    > I have an annoying problem, my dial up connection notice just keeps on
    > popping up, even when I am not using programs that require the
    > computer to go on to internet. It has only been happening for the last
    > week or so, and I have run Ad-Aware SE Personal to see if there is any
    > spyware that might be causing the problem, but none has been reported.
    > I have had a look through the programs listed by Zone Alarm and I see
    > that I have acquired recently a program called mcm3.exe which might be
    > part of the problem? I have been unable to delete this program from
    > the computer. I have run my AVG virus program and it says the computer
    > has no viruses.
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this problem and advise what
    > may be causing it? Thanks very much.

    The free program TCPView tells you what app is trying to connect.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 2, 2005
  18. George S

    George S Guest

    Thanks very much Unk for this information. I don't have Outlook Express set
    to check for e-mail at regular intervals. I will also check out the other
    points you mention. The prompt that is occurring most frequently from Zone
    Alarm is "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" wants access to the
    internet. If I don't approve of this, Outlook Express will not download my
    e-mail, so I guess this generic host process is safe, what is your view on
    this one?

    Regards, George

    George S, Jun 2, 2005
  19. George S

    H.O.G Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:10:57 +1200, "George S" <George >
    spoke these fine words:

    >"H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:45:51 +1200, "George S" <George >
    >> spoke these fine words:
    >>

    >>>As mentioned to Pam, after altering the settings in Outlook Express for
    >>>configuring a proxy server to: "Never dial a connection" the dial up
    >>>connection no longer keeps popping up, but it will keep doing this if the
    >>>setting is "Always dial my default connection" .
    >>>
    >>>I'm not sure why the dial up connection suddenly started popping up in the
    >>>first place, so there may still be some "bad" software on my computer!

    >> Hmm, this is only addressing the symptoms and not the cause.
    >>
    >> Have you got a virus scanner?
    >>
    >> Did you go to add/remove programs, and look for " ShopAtHomeSelect
    >> Agent" ? There's a lot more to this one than just the file you
    >> discovered.
    >>
    >> Let us know how you get on.

    >Thanks HOG for these comments. I have had a further look at my programs list
    >but I don't think there is a "ShopAtHomeSelect Agent still there, now that I
    >have removed the mcm3 program. However, there is another prompt that I am
    >getting from Zone Alarm that says Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    >wants to access the internet. I am not sure whether to permit this one or
    >not, can anyone tell me what this generic host process is?
    >
    >Regards, George

    Hi, George.

    That's a standard part of Windows.

    When you say the "programs list", do you mean the "add/remove
    programs" list, through Control Panel?
    H.O.G, Jun 2, 2005
  20. George S

    George S Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message

    > Hi, George.
    >
    > That's a standard part of Windows.
    >
    > When you say the "programs list", do you mean the "add/remove
    > programs" list, through Control Panel?

    Yes, that's correct. With regard to the generic host process question, I
    found a good discussion about this here:

    http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/272.html

    I also have the AVG virus checker on board and right up to date. It has
    never detected any viruses in my computer.

    Regards, George
    George S, Jun 2, 2005