    dialup connection accelerators aren't hardware devices. They are services
    that work over a standard ISP and use proxy servers and graphic compression
    to reduce page load-in times. They do not affect normal file downloads, just
    web browsing. If all you do is webpage browsing, it may be worth it, but
    picture quality is reduced on the pages, so be prepared for that. Otherwise,
    they are a waste of time.

    Thor, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Thor

    NightSky 421 Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > dialup connection accelerators aren't hardware devices. They are services
    > that work over a standard ISP and use proxy servers and graphic

    compression
    > to reduce page load-in times. They do not affect normal file downloads,

    just
    > web browsing. If all you do is webpage browsing, it may be worth it, but
    > picture quality is reduced on the pages, so be prepared for that.

    Otherwise,
    > they are a waste of time.

    My ISP offered me something called the "Propel Accelerator" for my dial-up
    account a few months ago and they claimed that my connection would be up to
    five times faster with it. However, when I questioned them further about
    it, it was apparently only for the benefit of loading web pages and not for
    actual downloads. I know, wishful thinking on my part <grin>, but I decided
    that it wasn't worth the $6.95 (Canadian) per month that they wanted for the
    service. If what you say is true about the reduced picture quality (which I
    don't doubt), then I'm even more glad that I didn't sign up.
    NightSky 421, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Thor

    V W Wall Guest

    "T.C." wrote:

    > Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
    > From people who actually have and do use it because it works.
    > Looking for more bang for my buck!

    More bang for the buck vs TNSTAAFL (There's no such thing as a free lunch.)

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    V W Wall, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Thor

    eminemfan Guest

    Dialup accelerators suck. They fvcked my connection. Dont get one dog.

    eminemfan, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Thor

    T.C. Guest

    Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
    From people who actually have and do use it because it works.

    T.C., Dec 27, 2003
  6. Thor

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (T.C.) wrote in news:bsk54j$1vu$1
    @news01.cit.cornell.edu:

    > Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
    > From people who actually have and do use it because it works.
    > Looking for more bang for my buck!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ted
    >
    > If your e-mailing me be sure to remove the nospam before mailtag.com

    http://www.5star-shareware.com/Internet/Dial-Connect/intelli-dialup.html

    I used that on cable connection with Win2k. I did notice a speed-up on Web
    page loads. Also, a constant load of a movie trailer at Movies.com and
    others, instead of the continuous stop and start motion of viewing the
    trailer.

    Downloads became a little more continuos as well.

    Just my two cents

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 28, 2003