    more data flow is shown on status screen.

    Still looking for a solution short of rebooting each time this comes
    up. Please give me another suggestion
    SmokeyJose, Jul 25, 2006

  2. SmokeyJose

    thanatoid Guest

    "SmokeyJose" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Earlier I posted this problem: Dell Insp 2500 w/ WinXP Home
    > won't download any info after machine sits unused 2-3
    > hours. Oned suggestion was being blocked by Zonealarm. ZA
    > doesn't indicate network activity halted. I even shut down
    > ZA with no effect.
    >
    > What happens when I try to reconnect to web after idle time
    > is that maybe as much as one web page will load (possibly
    > frfom cache?) then no more data flow is shown on status
    > screen.
    >
    > Still looking for a solution short of rebooting each time
    > this comes up. Please give me another suggestion

    What type of connection do you have? Are you on AOL? Don't they
    disconnect you (like many dial-up providers also do) after a
    certain amount of inactivity? They don't want you taking up
    their bandwidth/line with nothing - not unreasonable. People
    used to install a program that would ping the ISP every few
    minutes so they would not get disconnected.
    thanatoid, Jul 25, 2006

  3. SmokeyJose

    Jerry Attic Guest

    thanatoid <> said in news:Xns980ACB488EF2Athanexit@
    66.250.146.158:

    > "SmokeyJose" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Earlier I posted this problem: Dell Insp 2500 w/ WinXP Home
    >> won't download any info after machine sits unused 2-3
    >> hours. Oned suggestion was being blocked by Zonealarm. ZA
    >> doesn't indicate network activity halted. I even shut down
    >> ZA with no effect.
    >>
    >> What happens when I try to reconnect to web after idle time
    >> is that maybe as much as one web page will load (possibly
    >> frfom cache?) then no more data flow is shown on status
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Still looking for a solution short of rebooting each time
    >> this comes up. Please give me another suggestion
    >>

    > What type of connection do you have? Are you on AOL? Don't they
    > disconnect you (like many dial-up providers also do) after a
    > certain amount of inactivity? They don't want you taking up
    > their bandwidth/line with nothing - not unreasonable. People
    > used to install a program that would ping the ISP every few
    > minutes so they would not get disconnected.

    If you read his headers, you can see the stupid **** uses AOL. Why do you
    think his posting through the next bane of Usenet, Google? They used to
    just kick you off after so many minutes of inactivity. As fucked up as
    AOL's software is, maybe their not kicking him off (or he is kicked off and
    the AOL software is locked up some how) and that's why Smokingpole has to
    reboot to reconnect. Here is a suggestion, Smokingpole, log off after
    you're through downloading your kiddie pr0n.
    Jerry Attic, Jul 25, 2006
  4. SmokeyJose

    thanatoid Guest

    Jerry Attic <0m> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> said in
    > news:Xns980ACB488EF2Athanexit@ 66.250.146.158:
    >
    >> "SmokeyJose" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Earlier I posted this problem: Dell Insp 2500 w/ WinXP
    >>> Home won't download any info after machine sits unused
    >>> 2-3 hours. Oned suggestion was being blocked by
    >>> Zonealarm. ZA doesn't indicate network activity halted. I
    >>> even shut down ZA with no effect.
    >>>
    >>> What happens when I try to reconnect to web after idle
    >>> time is that maybe as much as one web page will load
    >>> (possibly frfom cache?) then no more data flow is shown
    >>> on status screen.
    >>>
    >>> Still looking for a solution short of rebooting each time
    >>> this comes up. Please give me another suggestion
    >>>

    >> What type of connection do you have? Are you on AOL? Don't
    >> they disconnect you (like many dial-up providers also do)
    >> after a certain amount of inactivity? They don't want you
    >> taking up their bandwidth/line with nothing - not
    >> unreasonable. People used to install a program that would
    >> ping the ISP every few minutes so they would not get
    >> disconnected.

    > If you read his headers, you can see the stupid **** uses
    > AOL. Why do you think his posting through the next bane of
    > Usenet, Google? They used to just kick you off after so
    > many minutes of inactivity. As fucked up as AOL's software
    > is, maybe their not kicking him off (or he is kicked off
    > and the AOL software is locked up some how) and that's why
    > Smokingpole has to reboot to reconnect. Here is a
    > suggestion, Smokingpole, log off after you're through
    > downloading your kiddie pr0n.

    I read the headers, it was a rhetorical/draw-attention-to q.
    since he seems fairly clueless.
    GG bane of Usenet, I agree. IMO they have joined M$ and Adobe in
    the Triumvirate of Evil.

    (When it was the ORIGINAL archive they bought out and things
    were still kind of "new" (like 20 years new) it seemed like a
    cute idea. Now it sounds like Stalin's ghost is alive and well
    in California. INSANE.)

    IOW, enjoyed your follow-up.
    thanatoid, Jul 26, 2006
  5. SmokeyJose

    SmokeyJose Guest

    I'm using Netscape ISP which doesn't disconnect me as many AOL users
    have complained. I've got the best dial up service here that I've ever
    had. But this problem also happened with a local ISP so long agho that
    I don't recall thed solution. That's the problem.

    Yeah, I know Netscape is the bastard child of AOL. Or maybe the other
    way around
    SmokeyJose, Jul 26, 2006
  6. SmokeyJose

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-26, SmokeyJose <> wrote:

    > I'm using Netscape ISP which doesn't disconnect me as many AOL users
    > have complained. I've got the best dial up service here that I've ever
    > had. But this problem also happened with a local ISP so long agho that
    > I don't recall thed solution. That's the problem.
    >
    > Yeah, I know Netscape is the bastard child of AOL. Or maybe the other
    > way around

    Now no-one who isn't using Google Groups has any idea what you are talking
    about, or to whom your comments are addressed.

    Techy note about how to post in newsgroups:-

    Please quote the relevant text from the article you are replying to, so
    that people can see your response in context; this is a newsgroup, not a
    web forum :))

    You seem to be using the Google Groups web interface to get here; if you
    start your "reply" by clicking on the 'Reply' link that appears inside the
    coloured area at the top of the article you are reading (click on 'show
    options' to see it if it isn't visible), Google will put in an
    'attribution line' to indicate whose article you are replying to, and
    quote the whole of their article - which you can edit to remove the parts
    you aren't replying to, to make your reply clearer - or type your reply
    into new lines that you start in the middle of the 'quoted text', if you
    want to reply to several points.

    Most people do not use Google Groups to read and post in newsgroups, and
    do not see the articles displayed in the way that Google does it.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 26, 2006
  7. SmokeyJose

    Thoronwen Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Earlier I posted this problem: Dell Insp 2500 w/ WinXP Home won't
    > download any info after machine sits unused 2-3 hours. Oned suggestion
    > was being blocked by Zonealarm. ZA doesn't indicate network activity
    > halted. I even shut down ZA with no effect.
    >
    > What happens when I try to reconnect to web after idle time is that
    > maybe as much as one web page will load (possibly frfom cache?) then no
    > more data flow is shown on status screen.
    >
    > Still looking for a solution short of rebooting each time this comes
    > up. Please give me another suggestion

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I'm using Netscape ISP which doesn't disconnect me as many AOL users
    > have complained. I've got the best dial up service here that I've ever
    > had. But this problem also happened with a local ISP so long agho that
    > I don't recall thed solution. That's the problem.

    Details, please? When you try to "reconnect to web after idle time" does
    the computer indicate it is still connected (icon in systray)? Do you try
    to reconnect by browsing to a different page, or had you already closed
    the browser and have to open it again?

    Does "no data flowing" mean absolutely none, or very little before it
    stops, or only flowing out but not flowing in? When the problem happened
    a few years ago, was it on this same computer?

    What modem are you using? When you leave the computer idle for 2-3 hours,
    does it hibernate?
    Thoronwen, Jul 29, 2006