    English how to do this, what to buy, etc. PLEASE HELP, I'm tired of
    connecting and reconnecting cables, plus not being able to take my laptop
    away from the phone jack. Again, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?=, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Also my laptop has built in wireless.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?=, Feb 20, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?=

    Guest

    |"george" wrote:

    |> I just got a brand new laptop for Christmas and now I want to make it
    |> wireless. I don't need it to be connected to other computers (so I don't
    |> need an actual network). All I need is my printer, usb connected Floppy
    |> drive, and my Dial Up ISP (AOL). I've been told that this isnt possible, and
    |> then again that it is. Please some one explain me step by step and in
    |> English how to do this, what to buy, etc. PLEASE HELP, I'm tired of
    |> connecting and reconnecting cables, plus not being able to take my laptop
    |> away from the phone jack. Again, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    Yes it is possible. Search for "wireless dialup routers" and you'll find
    things like http://www.wiflyer.com/StoreFront.bok and
    http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

    Also try a search for "wireless dialup modem" and you'll find options such as
    http://www.nebowireless.com/

    I can only speak about the Airport Extreme, which isn't cheap, is best when
    used with a Mac but also can be used with only a Windows computer.

    The Airport Extreme software for Windows XP lets you setup the Extreme, but it
    doesn't have a simple way to say dial now or hang up now as the Mac software
    does. So, when used with Windows Xp you must set up the Extreme to dial
    whenever your computer wants the internet, and hang up after a specified time
    of inactivity.

    This is fine if you don't need the phone for other things, but if you do
    you'll find that it may never hang up! That's because many services in the
    Xp machine want internet access, some as often as once a minute. The only way
    to stop it is to either turn something off, or to get a good software firewall
    which lets you select just what software is allowed to get at the internet.
    , Feb 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?=

    James Gockel Guest

    An option would be to buy another computer (or if you have one already)
    connect it to the network with the wireless router, and have that computer
    make a dial up connection... You then share the dialup with the rest of the
    router. But it's more complex than that... and your best bet would probably
    to put linux on the other machine. (So you can talk directly to it, and have
    it dialup on demand.)
    Or set up that linux machine as the wireless router... hmmm... theres an
    idea.
    but that's probably more difficult than you want.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Feb 20, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?=

    |"george" wrote:

    |> I just got a brand new laptop for Christmas and now I want to make it
    |> wireless. I don't need it to be connected to other computers (so I don't
    |> need an actual network). All I need is my printer, usb connected Floppy
    |> drive, and my Dial Up ISP (AOL). I've been told that this isnt possible, and
    |> then again that it is. Please some one explain me step by step and in
    |> English how to do this, what to buy, etc. PLEASE HELP, I'm tired of
    |> connecting and reconnecting cables, plus not being able to take my laptop
    |> away from the phone jack. Again, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    In addition to my earlier reply referencing Airport Extreme, I had two more
    thoughts that might make it more useful in an environment with only windows
    laptop. I didn't requote that reply to cut down on quotes.

    First, you could set it to ignore every machine but yours if you wanted.
    Second, most laptops have an easy way to turn off the wifi, either a switch or
    an icon -- which could be done when you wanted to make sure it wasn't on the
    phone.

    Finally, as an extra plus, the base has a USB port that can be used for either
    of two things (and nothing else, I think). You can connect a printer there
    and set up the printer as a network printer without any extra cables to it.
    Or you can use that port to connect to a sound system and pipe sounds to it,
    either from a Windows version of iTunes, or from other software, but only IF
    you can find a Windows equivalent to the Mac software called Airfoil.
    , Feb 21, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 21, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vvcmdl?=

    MaMildew Guest

    My WiFlyer dial-up modem/wireless/wired/dsl router works great around
    the house for wireless dial-up. But it was $130. It will fit in a
    large pants pocket plus the power brick if you want to take it on
    trips.

    MaMildew, Jun 10, 2006
  8. "MaMildew" <> wrote in message
    > My WiFlyer dial-up modem/wireless/wired/dsl router works great around
    > the house for wireless dial-up. But it was $130. It will fit in a
    > large pants pocket plus the power brick if you want to take it on
    > trips.

    I am on Earthlink dialup and with AnalogX Proxy running on my desktop
    (host)I am able to use my laptop (client)wireless to share the internet with
    my desktop. No external modems etc. A couple of easy LAN settings on the
    laptop and dialup is good to go.

    Bob
    Leanin' Cedar, Jun 10, 2006
  9. Hi

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 10, 2006
  10. "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    That is a link I never got to in my weeks of questions and Google searches
    to sharing my dialup connection wirelessly. Will save that for future
    reference. Reluctant to change anything now since all is working great with
    AnalogX

    I even bought an Apple Airport Express to stream my ITunes from my laptop to
    my home theater, and was able to set that up as an access point with my
    router etc. so now have a great signal in the office and living room.
    Getting that to "join" the network was another series of days with Google.
    LOL

    The Itunes are on a separate HDD and when connected to my Desktop(host) it
    is great to have the some music through the PC speakers and home theater.

    A great learning experience for a Senior new to wireless

    Bob

    Bob
    Leanin' Cedar, Jun 10, 2006
  11. Hi
    Google has so much info that it is becoming very sensitive to specific words
    and even the order of the words.
    Example, if you put into the address bar the phrase: Sharing Internet with
    DialUp.
    The EZLAN.NET page would appear as the 4th link.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 10, 2006