    Tanks for all the suggestion on my printer I will check them out .but I have
    a other small problem . how do I get the dial tone come through my
    speakers

    detap, Jun 26, 2007

  2. I assume you mean from the modem. Simple answer-- you don't. The sounds
    come from your modem speaker which is not connected to your sound system.
    You can hook it up, but it's not worth it.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Jun 26, 2007

  3. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    detap wrote:

    > I have a other small problem . how do I get the dial tone come
    > through my speakers

    I configure mine with the modem's graphical configuration tool.

    You have a modem of some type unknown. I have external modems and I
    have mobo integrated modems. You are using an operating system you
    haven't named. It has a configuration tool for your modem.

    If you are going to ask a question, you have to set up the question and
    not assume that anyone else knows what kind of modem or modem software
    you have or that anyone else is going to dig thru' your message's
    headers to determine your operating system for you.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2007
  4. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    detap wrote:
    > internal modem

    You are top posting. That means that you are not properly attributing,
    trimming, or contextualizing (putting your remarks directly under an
    empty line under that part of the previous post to which you are
    replying).

    Top posting interferes with the integrity and the quality of newsgroup
    posting and is only appropriate in some corporate email environments.
    Top posters don't hear accurately what has been said before, and they
    don't say/post accurately because their remarks are out of context.

    Here is a place that shows you what is wrong with top posting
    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Quoting Style in
    Newsgroup Postings - How should I use the quoted text and arrange it
    with my own text?

    > Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem
    > on a win.XP professional

    You need to get some drivers and/or an install program for the drivers
    and get proper drivers properly installed. Search on the modem's name.
    I found all kinds of sources for drivers for that modem.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2007
  5. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:19:52 -0700

    Voluntary clock police courtesy report.

    It appears that your clock is wrong, as that date stamp is for a time in
    the future. Check your timezone offset and clock setting. -0700 is PDT
    Pacific Daylight Time or Arizona time.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2007
  6. detap

    detap Guest

    it is hooked up I just nee to know how to turn it on it worked before I
    reformatted

    detap, Jun 26, 2007
  7. Mike Easter wrote:
    > detap wrote:
    >
    >>internal modem

    > You are top posting. That means that you are not properly attributing,
    > trimming, or contextualizing (putting your remarks directly under an
    > empty line under that part of the previous post to which you are
    > replying).

    You are being anal retentive. Relax a little. Have a beer for breakfast.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2007
  8. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> You are top posting.

    > You are being anal retentive.

    Psychobabble. Methinks you don't even know what is anal retentive.

    If you want to critique my critique, you could at least get it right
    about what to call my interest in trying to help the poster communicate
    effectively in newsgroups.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2007
  9. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>Mike Easter wrote:

    >>>You are top posting.

    >>You are being anal retentive.

    > Psychobabble. Methinks you don't even know what is anal retentive.
    >
    > If you want to critique my critique, you could at least get it right
    > about what to call my interest in trying to help the poster communicate
    > effectively in newsgroups.

    Long before you came along, this group had a significant history of
    allowing both top and bottom posting. You are trying to enforce your own
    rules. You are anal retentive in the truest sense of the term, babble or
    not.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2007
  10. detap

    detap Guest

    internal modem Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem
    on a win.XP professional I tried configuration tab on the modem and it
    shows that it is on but it still not working
    is there another place to turn the modem on

    detap, Jun 26, 2007
  11. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Long before you came along, this group had a significant history of
    > allowing both top and bottom posting.

    Attributed, trimmed, and contextualized is the best way to communciate
    in newsgroups. Noncontextualized and untrimmed whether it is untrimmed
    unattributed non-contextualized top posting or untrimmed
    noncontextualized bottom posting interferes with the quality of that
    communication.

    This newsgroup has enough problems with impaired communication because
    of the inexperience of some of the posters in asking questions, along
    with the typical newsgroup disadvantage of text communicating without
    body language or other realtime dynamics. It doesn't need any other
    aggravating factors.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2007
  12. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>Long before you came along, this group had a significant history of
    >>allowing both top and bottom posting.

    > Attributed, trimmed, and contextualized is the best way to communciate
    > in newsgroups. Noncontextualized and untrimmed whether it is untrimmed
    > unattributed non-contextualized top posting or untrimmed
    > noncontextualized bottom posting interferes with the quality of that
    > communication.
    >
    > This newsgroup has enough problems with impaired communication because
    > of the inexperience of some of the posters in asking questions, along
    > with the typical newsgroup disadvantage of text communicating without
    > body language or other realtime dynamics. It doesn't need any other
    > aggravating factors.

    You are an aggravating factor. You bitch at people for trying to
    communicate. Some newbie walks in and tries to ask a question. Instead
    of an answer, they get a lesson from you in properly posting. Everyone
    else understands the question, you can't because it wasn't properly
    contextualized.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2007
  13. detap

    TJ Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>>You are being anal retentive.

    >> Psychobabble. Methinks you don't even know what is anal retentive.
    >>
    >> If you want to critique my critique, you could at least get it right
    >> about what to call my interest in trying to help the poster
    >> communicate effectively in newsgroups.

    > Long before you came along, this group had a significant history of
    > allowing both top and bottom posting. You are trying to enforce your
    > own rules. You are anal retentive in the truest sense of the term,
    > babble or not.

    Regardless. IMO, Mike Easter is right. Top posting does disrupt the
    natural flow of dialogue. And I saw nothing in his post indicating he
    was trying to "enforce" anything. All I saw was a nudge and a link vis
    why top posting is undesirable, and an answer to the original question
    about the modem possibly needing a new or different driver.

    TJ, Jun 26, 2007
  14. detap

    Guest

    "detap" <> wrote:

    >Tanks for all the suggestion on my printer I will check them out .but I have
    >a other small problem . how do I get the dial tone come through my
    >speakers

    A modem uses Hayes AT commands - Winmodems should also, but no bets.

    Speaker commands are:

    L0 Lowest speaker volume
    L1 Low speaker volume
    L2 Medium speaker volume
    L3 Highest speaker volume

    M0 Speaker always off
    M1 Speaker on until carrier detected
    M2 Speaker always on
    M3 Speaker on only while answering

    You can add these a few ways, in the modem properties, or with
    Hyperterm.

    Start | Run <type in>
    hyperterm
    <enter>

    How to use hyperterm to input AT commands
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q124890/

    So turn on the sound on loud you would input ATM3L3

    Note: you might not be able to see your input and need to do an ATE1
    first (commands are echoed)
    --

    Planet simulation (gravity)
    http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/planet/

    , Jun 26, 2007
  15. detap

    Mike Easter Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > Rôgêr

    >> allowing both top and bottom posting.

    Whenever I see the term 'bottom posting' I know that the person using it
    doesn't grasp the importance of trimmed context in an environment in
    which communication is difficult.

    > Top posting does disrupt the
    > natural flow of dialogue.

    Yes.

    The 'flow' is nonexistent, for one thing, and there /isn't/ a dialogue.
    And the reply words don't have the correct/accurate meaning absent a
    context. And the replyer is _trying_ to address the previous post by
    inaccurate or fuzzy recollection of what it said instead of the real
    words right before their eyes -- so the response is often
    'unresponsive' - impaired.

    Using top vs bottom makes it sound like either right sided or left sided
    driving would be OK if everyone did it the same way. That analogy
    doesn't work, it isn't a blue is prettier than green issue.

    > and an answer to the original
    > question about the modem possibly needing a new or different driver.

    Roger snipped that part when he crtitiqued my critique. But, I'm
    strongly in favor of snipping, so I can't fault the snipping.
    Presumably he wanted me to just answer the question without my critique.

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2007
  16. detap

    Guest

    , Jun 26, 2007
  17. Re: Best Methods of Efficacious NewsGroup Communication (was: dial tone)

    "Mike Easter" thoughtfully expoused on "communication" with

    > [This newsgroup] doesn't need any other aggravating factors.

    ROTF-LMFAO! How ironic? That is easy to agree with.

    PS: I would only add that posters should argue *to* the
    audience/interests/group; _not_ *with* the other posters...

    --

    If :

    Northern city-dwellers constantly mock your isolated rural heritage,
    and utilize crass stereotypes referencing your supposed appetite
    for frequent and random fornication with your own family relations,
    and scoff your easily demonstrable simple almost simian intelligence
    to further privately or openly and publically demean you...

    .... then... you *just* *might* be a "redneck"!

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 26, 2007
  18. detap

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    > internal modem Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem
    > on a win.XP professional I tried configuration tab on the modem and it
    > shows that it is on but it still not working
    > is there another place to turn the modem on

    In addition to your modem configuration, your sound card settings may need
    to be looked into. Why? Because as a speakerphone modem, it uses your sound
    card for output.

    Double-click the speaker icon in your system tray, and look at the
    properties to be sure all available items are viewable. Then turn up the
    volume on the items that may pertain to your modem and speakerphone.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 27, 2007
  19. detap

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:07:06 -0700, "detap" <> wrote:

    >>HEY did you guys forget about hy your here I need your help stop bitchin at
    >>each other adn help me please

    Please learn to post properly, and use punctuation and a spell check.

    Evan Platt, Jun 27, 2007
  20. detap

    detap Guest

    > detap wrote:
    >> internal modem

    > You are top posting. That means that you are not properly attributing,
    > trimming, or contextualizing (putting your remarks directly under an
    > empty line under that part of the previous post to which you are
    > replying).
    >
    > Top posting interferes with the integrity and the quality of newsgroup
    > posting and is only appropriate in some corporate email environments.
    > Top posters don't hear accurately what has been said before, and they
    > don't say/post accurately because their remarks are out of context.
    >
    > Here is a place that shows you what is wrong with top posting
    > http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Quoting Style in
    > Newsgroup Postings - How should I use the quoted text and arrange it
    > with my own text?
    >
    >> Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem
    >> on a win.XP professional

    > You need to get some drivers and/or an install program for the drivers
    > and get proper drivers properly installed. Search on the modem's name.
    > I found all kinds of sources for drivers for that modem.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I got drivers thats how I installed thw modem

    detap, Jun 27, 2007