    do, and still no dial tone...

    PC is a gateway, running windows 98 (not SE)

    any help...I would appreciate it....

    Ken, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Ken

    °Mike° Guest

    What's "all the things I am supposed to do"?

    On 2 Dec 2003 20:04:06 -0800, in
    <>
    Ken scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Ken

    M Mullen Guest

    On 2 Dec 2003 20:04:06 -0800, (Ken) wrote:

    |> recently switched from aol to earthlink....
    |>
    |> Phone line works, cable is good, modem is working and properly
    |> installed with most recent driver....but I still cant dial out using
    |> the modem...I purchased a new one, did all the things I am supposed to
    |> do, and still no dial tone...
    |>
    |> PC is a gateway, running windows 98 (not SE)
    |>
    |> any help...I would appreciate it....

    run Hypertrm.exe

    get into the term window.
    type ATH enter
    wait for a bit
    type ATZ enter
    you will see OK

    This will hang up the modem and reset it. you might not be able to see what you
    are typing, you will see the resulting OK.

    --

    o _ _ _
    _o /\_ _ \\o (_)\__/o (_)

    M Mullen, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Ken wrote:

    > recently switched from aol to earthlink....
    >
    > Phone line works, cable is good, modem is working and properly
    > installed with most recent driver....but I still cant dial out using
    > the modem...I purchased a new one, did all the things I am supposed to
    > do, and still no dial tone...
    >
    > PC is a gateway, running windows 98 (not SE)
    >
    > any help...I would appreciate it....

    Quite possibly AOL hosed your network settings, it's notorious for doing
    that. Delete ALL of your network stuff--remove it. Reboot. Then reinstall.
    That should fix it.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 4, 2003