    Do i have to use USR or Hayes' compatible?

    hktco

    , Dec 2, 2004

  2. You don't necessarily have to use a USR or Hayes compatible modem. The
    modem just has to be V.34-capable or better. However, the catch is
    that if it uses different AT commands you need to know what they are
    so you can configure the modem properly if the 'modem autoconfigure
    discovery' command does not recognize your modem.

    For dialin management purposes hanging your modem off the console port
    should be sufficient, but this creates a security hole in that a EXEC
    session connected over the console port will not automatically reset.
    You can hang the modem off the AUX port instead and not be as
    vulnerable.

    See the following links on Cisco.com for more information:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a008009428b.shtml
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a00800941c9.shtml
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094bbc.shtml

    Good Luck