    amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?

    Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.

    Thanks!

    neil, Jan 20, 2004

  2. neil

    neil Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <> wrote:

    >Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
    >clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
    >description of that specific one.
    >
    >I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
    >like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
    >amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
    >
    >Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Opps, double posted.

    neil, Jan 21, 2004

  3. neil

    wisefool Guest

    neil said:
    > Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
    > clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
    > description of that specific one.
    >
    > I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
    > like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
    > amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Other more technical options for file formats, if you get a design
    and development team and go for a large-scale industrial
    strength solution:

    1. Flash or SVG

    Both require plugins (from Adobe[for SVG] or Macromedia[for Flash]),
    although the plugins are free and Office is not (although there are still
    probably free "Office viewers").

    Flash is more popular now but proprietary, whereas SVG is a new
    (not yet established) web standard. For authoring you will need paid-for
    tools like those of Adobe or Macromedia.

    2. Home-grow a solution based on DHTML or a custom plugin.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 21, 2004
  4. neil

    neil Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <> wrote:

    >Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
    >clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
    >description of that specific one.
    >
    >I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
    >like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
    >amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
    >
    >Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Thanks wisefool for all that advice.

    I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
    using a url.

    Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
    them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
    there be another solution?

    All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives the
    description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.

    neil, Jan 21, 2004
  5. neil

    wisefool Guest

    neil said:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <> wrote:
    >
    >> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
    >> clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
    >> description of that specific one.
    >>
    >> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
    >> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
    >> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
    >
    > I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
    > using a url.
    >
    > Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
    > them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
    > there be another solution?

    What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
    PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
    HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
    and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
    50 files.

    wisefool, Jan 21, 2004
  6. neil

    neil Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:10:49 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    wrote:

    >neil said:
    >> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
    >>> clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
    >>> description of that specific one.
    >>>
    >>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
    >>> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
    >>> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
    >>
    >> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
    >> using a url.
    >>
    >> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
    >> them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
    >> there be another solution?

    >What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
    >PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
    >HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
    >and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
    >50 files.
    >

    >> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives the
    >> description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.

    It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
    diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and having
    their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files everytime there
    is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.

    I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
    basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said before
    is the only thing that worries me.

    neil, Jan 21, 2004
  7. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > neil said:
    >> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
    >>> clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
    >>> description of that specific one.
    >>>
    >>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
    >>> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
    >>> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
    >>
    >> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
    >> using a url.
    >>
    >> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
    >> them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
    >> there be another solution?

    > What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
    > PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
    > HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
    > and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
    > 50 files.

    If you want to make a load of repetitive changes to some HTML
    output from some program, load one example HTML file (as
    "Text Only"), macro record you making search & replace changes
    to the file, and saving and closing the file, assign the macro
    to a button, load all the files as Text Only, and keep clicking the
    button until all the files are done.

    Tip for making macro without having to know how to code
    in Visual Basic:

    When you record your macro, first of all search and replace ^p with
    "~newline~". If you do this you can then use pattern matching (aka
    wild cards) in subsequent searches -- wildcards don't work across
    line boundaries in Word 97 at least. Record your searches and
    replaces (can use wild cards below), and then do a search and
    replace back from "~newline~" to ^p. Finally save and close the
    document and stop the macro recorder.

    ~
    Examples of search wildcards

    You can fine-tune a search by using any of the following wildcards. In the
    Find or Replace dialog box, click More if you don't see the Use wildcards
    check box. Then select the Use wildcards check box and type the wildcard and
    any other text in the Find what box.

    Tip For a quick way to enter a wildcard in the Find what box, click
    Special and then click a wildcard.

    To find Use this
    wildcard
    Examples
    Any single character ? s?t finds "sat" and "set."
    Any string of characters * s*d finds "sad" and "started."
    One of the specified characters [ ] w[io]n finds "win" and "won."
    Any single character in this range [-] [r-t]ight finds "right" and "sight."
    Ranges must be in ascending order.
    Any single character except the characters inside the brackets [!] m[!a]st
    finds "mist" and "most," but not "mast."
    Any single character except characters in the range inside the brackets
    [!x-z] t[!a-m]ck finds "tock" and "tuck," but not "tack" or "tick."
    Exactly n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n} fe{2}d
    finds "feed" but not "fed."
    At least n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,} fe{1,}d
    finds "fed" and "feed."
    From n to m occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,m}
    10{1,3} finds "10," "100," and "1000."
    One or more occurrences of the previous character or expression @ lo@t finds
    "lot" and "loot."
    The beginning of a word < <(inter) finds "interesting" and "intercept," but
    not "splintered."
    The end of a word > (in)> finds "in" and "within," but not "interesting."
    Notes

    · You can use parentheses to group the wildcards and text and to indicate
    the order of evaluation. For example, search for "<(pre)*(ed)>" to find
    "presorted" and "prevented."
    · To search for a character that's defined as a wildcard, type a backslash
    (\) before the character. For example, search for "\?" to find a question
    mark.
    · You can use the \n wildcard to search for an expression and then replace
    it with the rearranged expression. For example, type (Newton) (Christie) in
    the Find what box and \2 \1 in the Replace with box. Word will find "Newton
    Christie" and replace it with "Christie Newton."
    ~

    wisefool, Jan 21, 2004
  8. neil

    wisefool Guest

    neil said:
    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:10:49 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> neil said:

    >>> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
    >>>
    >>> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
    >>> using a url.
    >>>
    >>> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to
    >>> link them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or
    >>> would there be another solution?

    >> What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
    >> PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
    >> HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
    >> and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
    >> 50 files.
    >>

    >>> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives
    >>> the description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.

    > It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
    > diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and having
    > their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files everytime there
    > is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.
    >
    > I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
    > basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said before
    > is the only thing that worries me.

    How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of thing
    do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as a one
    off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
    technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
    HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 21, 2004
  9. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > neil said:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:10:49 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
    >>> PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
    >>> HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
    >>> and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
    >>> 50 files.

    >> It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
    >> diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and having
    >> their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files everytime there
    >> is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.
    >>
    >> I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
    >> basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said
    >> before is the only thing that worries me.

    > How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of thing
    > do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as a one
    > off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
    > technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
    > HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.
    >
    > wisefool

    It is also possible to embed JavaScript code in your main HTML diagram
    page which "writes HTML" on the fly into a new window, but I wouldn't
    recommend this as the new window would be a "popup" window and
    increasingly people have software which do not display popups.

    The other alternative is to use frames:

    | |

    | <main diagram> | <sidebar for desc> |
    | |

    Have an HTML frameset file something like:

    <head>
    <title>Frames Example</title>
    </head>
    <frameset COLS="80%,*">
    <frame SRC="main-diagram.html" NAME="main-diagram">
    <frame SRC="initial-description.html" NAME="description">
    <noframes>
    This text will appear only if the browser does not support
    frames.
    </noframes>
    </frameset>

    and put TARGET="description" in the hyperlinks in the diagram to
    load the descriptions in the right hand frame.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 21, 2004
  10. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > wisefool said:
    >> neil said:

    >>> It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
    >>> diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and
    >>> having their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files
    >>> everytime there is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.
    >>>
    >>> I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
    >>> basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said
    >>> before is the only thing that worries me.

    >> How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of
    >> thing do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as
    >> a one off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
    >> technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
    >> HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.
    >>
    >> wisefool

    > It is also possible to embed JavaScript code in your main HTML diagram
    > page which "writes HTML" on the fly into a new window, but I wouldn't
    > recommend this as the new window would be a "popup" window and
    > increasingly people have software which do not display popups.
    >
    > The other alternative is to use frames:
    >

    >> <main diagram> | <sidebar for desc> |
    >> |

    > Have an HTML frameset file something like:

    > <head>
    > <title>Frames Example</title>
    > </head>
    > <frameset COLS="80%,*">
    > <frame SRC="main-diagram.html" NAME="main-diagram">
    > <frame SRC="initial-description.html" NAME="description">
    > <noframes>
    > This text will appear only if the browser does not
    > support frames.
    > </noframes>
    > </frameset>
    >
    > and put TARGET="description" in the hyperlinks in the diagram to
    > load the descriptions in the right hand frame.

    Or yes, you can display descriptions in the main diagram HTML page itself
    (changing the text of paragraphs and headings on the page can be done with
    JavaScript) on modern graphical browsers only.

    Again knowledge of JavaScript and DHTML required.

    wisefool, Jan 21, 2004
  11. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > wisefool said:
    >> wisefool said:

    >>> How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of
    >>> thing do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as
    >>> a one off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
    >>> technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
    >>> HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.
    >>>
    >>> wisefool

    >> It is also possible to embed JavaScript code in your main HTML
    >> diagram page which "writes HTML" on the fly into a new window, but I
    >> wouldn't recommend this as the new window would be a "popup" window
    >> and increasingly people have software which do not display popups.
    >>
    >> The other alternative is to use frames:
    >>

    >>> <main diagram> | <sidebar for desc> |
    >>> |

    >> Have an HTML frameset file something like:

    >> <head>
    >> <title>Frames Example</title>
    >> </head>
    >> <frameset COLS="80%,*">
    >> <frame SRC="main-diagram.html" NAME="main-diagram">
    >> <frame SRC="initial-description.html" NAME="description">
    >> <noframes>
    >> This text will appear only if the browser does not
    >> support frames.
    >> </noframes>
    >> </frameset>
    >>
    >> and put TARGET="description" in the hyperlinks in the diagram to
    >> load the descriptions in the right hand frame.

    > Or yes, you can display descriptions in the main diagram HTML page
    > itself (changing the text of paragraphs and headings on the page can
    > be done with JavaScript) on modern graphical browsers only.
    >
    > Again knowledge of JavaScript and DHTML required.

    Here is a canned DHTML solution tho it has only been tested on
    MSIE 6 and Mozilla Firebird 0.7, and is definitely not something
    that will work on all browsers and browser versions:

    -------------START demo-descriptions.html
    <head>
    <!-- START OF SECTION A -->
    <script language=javascript><!--
    var desc = new Array();
    // FOR USER: ENTER DESCRIPTIONS HERE
    desc["a"] = "<p>This is a text description of a</p>";
    desc["b"] = "<p>This is a text description of b</p>";
    desc["c"] = "<p>This is a text description of c</p>";
    // [END OF] FOR USER: END OF DESCRIPTIONS
    function showDescriptionFor(name) {
    document.getElementById("descTitle").innerHTML = "<h2>Description of
    "+name+"</h2>";
    document.getElementById("descParagraph").innerHTML = desc[name];
    }
    // --></script>
    <!-- END OF SECTION A -->
    </head>

    <!-- START OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->
    show)</a><br/>
    show)</a><br/>
    show)</a><br/>
    <!-- END OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->

    <!-- START OF SECTION B -->
    <!-- END OF SECTION B -->

    -------------END

    To add this functionality to your own documents:
    1. Copy SECTION A and stick it inside your HTML <head>...</head> section.
    2. Copy SECTION B and stick it where tyou want the description to display.
    3. Edit the HTML in the descriptions section of SECTION A
    4. Make your links, like those in the EXAMPLE LINKS section

    This is *not* compatible with some browsers. You will need a DHTML
    coder with browser compatiblity knowledge to make better code which
    will run in all browsers. But this might give you an idea of what can be
    done.

    wisefool, Jan 21, 2004
  12. neil

    neil Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:41:13 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    ></head>

    ><!-- START OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->
    >show)</a><br/>
    >show)</a><br/>
    >show)</a><br/>
    ><!-- END OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->
    >
    ><!-- START OF SECTION B -->
    ><!-- END OF SECTION B -->

    >-------------END
    >
    >To add this functionality to your own documents:
    >1. Copy SECTION A and stick it inside your HTML <head>...</head> section.
    >2. Copy SECTION B and stick it where tyou want the description to display.
    >3. Edit the HTML in the descriptions section of SECTION A
    >4. Make your links, like those in the EXAMPLE LINKS section
    >
    >This is *not* compatible with some browsers. You will need a DHTML
    >coder with browser compatiblity knowledge to make better code which
    >will run in all browsers. But this might give you an idea of what can be

    (Third attempt, posting under a different news server)

    Don't think my last post got submitted somehow, now I kinda forgot
    what I wrote... but I'll try and remember.

    Firstly thanks for taking the time to write all those ideas you've
    been giving me, I couldn't believe how much ya done. So that is
    appreciated, and sorry I didn't reply sooner, was away to a match.

    Anyway, unfortunately I don't think I can be able to use those ideas,
    because I don't want to edit the main HTML file where the diagram will
    be on. If I edit this then in the future if they want to create a new
    diagram then it will kinda cause hassle if ya know what I mean.

    All I really want them to do is write out there description somewhere
    (like a database, text file or something) and write out the hyperlink
    of the required box/object from the diagram, as the reason I mention
    PHP before was it may be like
    http://blah.com/description.php?q=wisefool this would then output the
    text from the database field or textfile respectively. But as I say,
    not sure if that is the best way, but the general idea is still there.

    I'm not sure how long the descriptions are, but it couldn't be more
    than 5 lines long. Oh and macros scare me hehe, but if it is
    something you recommend then I will look into it more.

    neil, Jan 22, 2004
  13. neil

    wisefool Guest

    neil said:
> [...]

    > because I don't want to edit the main HTML file where the diagram will
    > be on. If I edit this then in the future if they want to create a new
    > diagram then it will kinda cause hassle if ya know what I mean.
    >
    > All I really want them to do is write out there description somewhere
    > (like a database, text file or something) and write out the hyperlink
    > of the required box/object from the diagram, as the reason I mention
    > PHP before was it may be like
    > http://blah.com/description.php?q=wisefool this would then output the
    > text from the database field or textfile respectively. But as I say,
    > not sure if that is the best way, but the general idea is still there.
    >
    > I'm not sure how long the descriptions are, but it couldn't be more
    > than 5 lines long. Oh and macros scare me hehe, but if it is
    > something you recommend then I will look into it more.

    Oh well if it scares you forget it. Or leave it till another time.

    One last suggestion that might save you from doing PHP:

    Use URLs like this one in your Visio document (in Word 97 you
    say Insert > Hyperlink and type the following in the 'Link to file
    or URL' box, then Save as HTML):

    javascript:alert('This is a very long description. This is a very long
    description. This is a very long description. This is a very ling
    description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
    description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
    description.');

    Why do this? The result is that the description pops up in a little
    message dialog box with an OK button -- but only *after* you "Save
    as HTML" or "Save as Web Page" or export to HTML or whatever
    the option is called, and bring up the HTML file in a web browser.

    Maybe this works in Visio too? Might suit your needs. If not by all
    means call in the PHP and HTML propellor heads.

    The length of the description may be limited -- test
    what description length works with this before you decide.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 22, 2004
  14. neil

    neil Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:51:21 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >or URL' box, then Save as HTML):
    >
    >javascript:alert('This is a very long description. This is a very long
    >description. This is a very long description. This is a very ling
    >description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
    >description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
    >description.');
    >
    >Why do this? The result is that the description pops up in a little
    >message dialog box with an OK button -- but only *after* you "Save
    >as HTML" or "Save as Web Page" or export to HTML or whatever
    >the option is called, and bring up the HTML file in a web browser.
    >
    >Maybe this works in Visio too? Might suit your needs. If not by all
    >means call in the PHP and HTML propellor heads.
    >
    >The length of the description may be limited -- test
    >what description length works with this before you decide.

    Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was far
    too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP method,
    have to go learn it.

    Thanks again.

    neil, Jan 23, 2004
  15. neil

    wisefool Guest

    neil said:
    > <snip investigating non-PHP avenues / wisefool & neil>
    >
    > Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was far
    > too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP method,
    > have to go learn it.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Fine -- PHP it is.

    For an example, bare-bones PHP script for your kind of application:
    Take a look at http://codewalkers.com/seecode/12.html
    You will have to edit it, add your SQL query and add an HTML code at
    the start and end to (a) make it pretty; (b) get it to format things
    correctly; (c) make it professional from a technical point of view.

    To learn PHP: get a book. I usually recommend O'Reilly's if you
    have a technical streak -- and I haven't read their PHP stuff. But
    also see what the top seller is. You can get books which talk
    about both PHP and mySQL, or if you want to save money
    there's oodles of tutorials online.

    To learn SQL: Take a look at http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm

    For mySQL: Ask in comp.databases what a good general link or one
    for just what you need to know would be. Bob Badour there will
    probably chide you for using mySQL!! Listen sympathetically and
    consider whatever alternatives he, Christopher or Jim recommend.
    They are reasonably non-biased, most others are promoting some
    DB or other. Though they will try to steer you away from mySQL,
    they or some other poster can point you in the right direction for
    using it.

    If you're using a web hosting company that can make things a bit
    easier because they will give you access to a computer where
    mySQL and PHP are installed and set up already. Then you
    can skip learning about installing/managing the mySQL and
    PHP software itself.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  16. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > neil said:
    >> <snip investigating non-PHP avenues / wisefool & neil>
    >>
    >> Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was far
    >> too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP
    >> method, have to go learn it.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.

    > Fine -- PHP it is.
    >
    > For an example, bare-bones PHP script for your kind of application:
    > Take a look at http://codewalkers.com/seecode/12.html
    > You will have to edit it, add your SQL query and add an HTML code at
    > the start and end to (a) make it pretty; (b) get it to format things
    > correctly; (c) make it professional from a technical point of view.
    >
    > To learn PHP: get a book. I usually recommend O'Reilly's if you
    > have a technical streak -- and I haven't read their PHP stuff. But
    > also see what the top seller is. You can get books which talk
    > about both PHP and mySQL, or if you want to save money
    > there's oodles of tutorials online.
    >
    > To learn SQL: Take a look at http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm
    >
    > For mySQL: Ask in comp.databases what a good general link or one
    > for just what you need to know would be. Bob Badour there will
    > probably chide you for using mySQL!! Listen sympathetically and
    > consider whatever alternatives he, Christopher or Jim recommend.
    > They are reasonably non-biased, most others are promoting some
    > DB or other. Though they will try to steer you away from mySQL,
    > they or some other poster can point you in the right direction for
    > using it.
    >
    > If you're using a web hosting company that can make things a bit
    > easier because they will give you access to a computer where
    > mySQL and PHP are installed and set up already. Then you
    > can skip learning about installing/managing the mySQL and
    > PHP software itself.
    >
    > wisefool

    The online HTML reference I use is online at:
    http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html
    The guy who maintains it seems particularly meticulous.

    Probably the best way to get the HTML you want
    if you are in a rush is to use a graphical HTML editor.
    Ask in alt.html for graphical editor advice; however the
    consensus in this newsgroup is they are ideally to be avoided
    because you really need to understand HTML intimately
    rather than use anything remotely wizard-ey, in the long
    term.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  17. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > wisefool said:
    >> neil said:
    >>> <snip investigating non-PHP avenues / wisefool & neil>
    >>>
    >>> Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was
    >>> far too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP
    >>> method, have to go learn it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.

    >> Fine -- PHP it is.
    >>
    >> For an example, bare-bones PHP script for your kind of application:
    >> Take a look at http://codewalkers.com/seecode/12.html
    >> You will have to edit it, add your SQL query and add an HTML code at
    >> the start and end to (a) make it pretty; (b) get it to format things
    >> correctly; (c) make it professional from a technical point of view.
    >>
    >> To learn PHP: get a book. I usually recommend O'Reilly's if you
    >> have a technical streak -- and I haven't read their PHP stuff. But
    >> also see what the top seller is. You can get books which talk
    >> about both PHP and mySQL, or if you want to save money
    >> there's oodles of tutorials online.
    >>
    >> To learn SQL: Take a look at http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm
    >>
    >> For mySQL: Ask in comp.databases what a good general link or one
    >> for just what you need to know would be. Bob Badour there will
    >> probably chide you for using mySQL!! Listen sympathetically and
    >> consider whatever alternatives he, Christopher or Jim recommend.
    >> They are reasonably non-biased, most others are promoting some
    >> DB or other. Though they will try to steer you away from mySQL,
    >> they or some other poster can point you in the right direction for
    >> using it.
    >>
    >> If you're using a web hosting company that can make things a bit
    >> easier because they will give you access to a computer where
    >> mySQL and PHP are installed and set up already. Then you
    >> can skip learning about installing/managing the mySQL and
    >> PHP software itself.
    >>
    >> wisefool

    > The online HTML reference I use is online at:
    > http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html
    > The guy who maintains it seems particularly meticulous.
    >
    > Probably the best way to get the HTML you want
    > if you are in a rush is to use a graphical HTML editor.
    > Ask in alt.html for graphical editor advice; however the
    > consensus in this newsgroup is they are ideally to be avoided
    > because you really need to understand HTML intimately
    > rather than use anything remotely wizard-ey, in the long
    > term.

    It is important to note that some HTML features work on some
    browsers but not on others -- the first step in designing HTML
    is to know as far as possible what browsers and browser versions
    are gonna be used to access your HTML, and then make sure you (a)
    only use those features; and (b) ideally test the code on all target
    browser versions. Part (b) is part of the reason why web
    design agencies can make things easier if you need to target
    many browser versions. There are plenty of statistics on
    browser versions in use on the web, but global browser version
    usage *might* not be indicative of your end user's browser
    version usage.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  18. neil

    Boomer Guest

    neil <> wrote in

    [HUGE SNIP]

    > Looks like it will be the PHP
    > method, have to go learn it.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    And learn how to snip a bit!

    Boomer, Jan 23, 2004
  19. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > <snip HTML/PHP/mySQL related stuff>

    For the data entry into mySQL you can use MS Access.
    Simply create a new blank MS Acccess database, install
    the mySQL ODBC driver on the data entry machine, then
    use File > Get External Data > Link tables, type
    connection details, select the relevant tables and you will
    then be able to use MS Access for the data entry. If you
    don't have MS Access you can use the data tools in
    www.openOffice.org.

    This would be a good option if others in your company are
    used to Access, although a safer option would be to edit
    an Excel spreadsheet full of descriptions, then Save as
    ..CSV, copy the .CSV to the database server and import it
    into mySQL when you want to do an update. This way, you
    have a master copy in Excel which means keeping backups
    is easier. But importing the .CSV in this way would require
    some technical knowhow in those that follow you.

    The third option is to get the PHPers to build you a custom
    interface. It should (!) be about the same price for them to
    do you a .CSV file upload/download page than build an
    online editing interface, and probably better for you because
    you have more control over your data. If they say this is
    a lot harder ask different people (good test of their
    competence/experience)!

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  20. neil

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > <snip other stuff>
    > ~
    > Examples of search wildcards
    >
    > You can fine-tune a search by using any of the following wildcards.
    > In the Find or Replace dialog box, click More if you don't see the
    > Use wildcards check box. Then select the Use wildcards check box and
    > type the wildcard and any other text in the Find what box.
    >
    > Tip For a quick way to enter a wildcard in the Find what box, click
    > Special and then click a wildcard.
    >
    > To find Use this
    > wildcard
    > Examples
    > Any single character ? s?t finds "sat" and "set."
    > Any string of characters * s*d finds "sad" and "started."
    > One of the specified characters [ ] w[io]n finds "win" and "won."
    > Any single character in this range [-] [r-t]ight finds "right" and
    > "sight." Ranges must be in ascending order.
    > Any single character except the characters inside the brackets [!]
    > m[!a]st finds "mist" and "most," but not "mast."
    > Any single character except characters in the range inside the
    > brackets [!x-z] t[!a-m]ck finds "tock" and "tuck," but not "tack" or
    > "tick."
    > Exactly n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n}
    > fe{2}d finds "feed" but not "fed."
    > At least n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,}
    > fe{1,}d finds "fed" and "feed."
    > From n to m occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,m}
    > 10{1,3} finds "10," "100," and "1000."
    > One or more occurrences of the previous character or expression @
    > lo@t finds "lot" and "loot."
    > The beginning of a word < <(inter) finds "interesting" and
    > "intercept," but not "splintered."
    > The end of a word > (in)> finds "in" and "within," but not
    > "interesting." Notes
    >
    > · You can use parentheses to group the wildcards and text and to
    > indicate the order of evaluation. For example, search for
    > "<(pre)*(ed)>" to find "presorted" and "prevented."
    > · To search for a character that's defined as a wildcard, type a
    > backslash (\) before the character. For example, search for "\?" to
    > find a question mark.
    > · You can use the \n wildcard to search for an expression and then
    > replace it with the rearranged expression. For example, type (Newton)
    > (Christie) in the Find what box and \2 \1 in the Replace with box.
    > Word will find "Newton Christie" and replace it with "Christie
    > Newton." ~

    Note: Between ~s is an extract from the Microsoft Word 97 help file.

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004