    speed it up?

    Yours truly,

    Derek Czuy

    Derek Czuy, Jul 11, 2007

  2. Derek Czuy

    Vanguard Guest

    "Derek Czuy" wrote in message news:wbYki.24997$Io4.6173@edtnps89...

    > I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router
    > was working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now
    > unable to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to
    > allow him to access the internet?

    Has he tried resetting the router?

    What LEDs are on or flicker on the router? Is the link LED lit up on
    the computer (often near where the cat5 cable plugs in)? When he yanks
    the cat5 cable at the router and plugs it back in, does he see an LED go
    out and then back on (some routers don't have a separate link LED but
    reuse one of the front LEDs).

    Power off the computer, router, and cable modem. Then power them up in
    the reverse order. This ensures the upstream DHCP server is available
    to assign an IP address to the device just powered.

    Vanguard, Jul 11, 2007

  3. Derek Czuy

    ded Guest

    "Derek Czuy" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Helpdesk news group members:
    >
    > I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router was
    > working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now unable
    > to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to allow him to
    > access the internet?

    Give us a clue as to why you suspect it is the router that is failing to
    connect?

    > It seems that his CD/RW drive is slower than normal. What can be done to
    > speed it up?

    Slower at doing what, burning disks? It is the disk that dictates at what
    speed
    it can be burned. You've supplied no info - exact details of problem?
    software?
    Brand of cd-rw, brand of disks? OS?

    > Yours truly,
    >
    > Derek Czuy

    You'll probably be another one who dosen't follow up.......

    ded, Jul 12, 2007
  4. Derek Czuy

    Derek Czuy Guest

    Re: DI624 router

    Hello Helpdesk news group members:

    Thank you for responding to my e-mail about my friends DI624 router problem.
    He followed the instructions for resetting the router. He was able to access
    the internet for a while. However, he is now unable to access the internet
    unless he repeats the procedure for resetting the router.

    I believe that he is unable to access the internet because his IP address is
    dynamic and has changed. His router is unable to recognise his changed IP
    address because the Obtain an IP address Automatically checkbox in the
    properties of his Local area connection is unchecked. If so, where are the
    Local Area connections located in Windows Vista so he can make this change
    if necessary? I am asking this question because I use Windows XP. As you
    know, there are differences in Windows XP and Windows Vista.

    Can you suggest any other changes that have to be made so he can access the
    internet permanently?

    Note: My friend and I use the JAWS for Windows (JFW) screen reading program
    as we are visually impaired. JAWS gives us audible access to Windows and
    allows us to navigate around. Has anyone on this news group heard of JAWS?

    I look forward to your answers to my questions.

    Derek

    Derek Czuy, Jul 16, 2007
  5. Derek Czuy

    Vanguard Guest

    Re: DI624 router

    "Derek Czuy" wrote in message news:I0zmi.40349$Io4.21787@edtnps89...
    > Hello Helpdesk news group members:
    >
    > Thank you for responding to my e-mail about my friends DI624 router
    > problem.
    > He followed the instructions for resetting the router. He was able to
    > access
    > the internet for a while. However, he is now unable to access the
    > internet
    > unless he repeats the procedure for resetting the router.
    >
    > I believe that he is unable to access the internet because his IP
    > address is
    > dynamic and has changed. His router is unable to recognise his changed
    > IP
    > address because the Obtain an IP address Automatically checkbox in the
    > properties of his Local area connection is unchecked. If so, where are
    > the
    > Local Area connections located in Windows Vista so he can make this
    > change
    > if necessary? I am asking this question because I use Windows XP. As
    > you
    > know, there are differences in Windows XP and Windows Vista.
    >
    > Can you suggest any other changes that have to be made so he can
    > access the
    > internet permanently?

    Having to repeatedly reset the router means the problem isn't back in
    the operating system. As mentioned, have the user power down the
    computer, router, and cable modem and then power them back up in REVERSE
    order. The DHCP server (upstream) has to be ready when the next
    downstream devices wants to get an IP address.

    How old is this router? On average, the D-Links last about 1.5 years
    (enough to be out of warranty when they fry).

    Vanguard, Jul 16, 2007
  6. Derek Czuy

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Derek Czuy" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Helpdesk news group members:
    >
    > I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router was
    > working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now unable
    > to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to allow him to
    > access the internet?
    >
    > It seems that his CD/RW drive is slower than normal. What can be done to
    > speed it up?
    >
    > Yours truly,
    >
    > Derek Czuy

    Check to be sure the router has the latest firmware updates.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 16, 2007