DI-524 Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RAAAAARRR, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. RAAAAARRR

    RAAAAARRR Guest

    I want to connect the DI-524 (like a wireless hub) to the DSL-504 (which
    connects to the internet fine via the cat 5 cable on laptop1).

    I have changed the log-in for DI-524 to http://192.168.0.2 as it shares the
    same manufacturers log-in as the DSL-504. I had to reset it as my dad
    changed the log-in address and I have no idea what he changed it to and he
    has passed away so I couldn't ask him. I have tried using the DLINK
    installation manual and Laptop 2 will connect to the wireless router but not
    to the DSL-504.

    Laptop 1

    Connected to DSL-504 _________________ DSL-504
    ________DI-524 -------------------Laptop 2

    with cat 5 cable
    modem/router wireless router running windows
    vista home

    Running windows XP home edition
    with wireless adapter

    RAAAAARRR, Nov 6, 2008

  2. RAAAAARRR

    PeeCee Guest

    "RAAAAARRR" <> wrote in message
    >I want to connect the DI-524 (like a wireless hub) to the DSL-504 (which
    >connects to the internet fine via the cat 5 cable on laptop1).
    >
    > I have changed the log-in for DI-524 to http://192.168.0.2 as it shares
    > the same manufacturers log-in as the DSL-504. I had to reset it as my dad
    > changed the log-in address and I have no idea what he changed it to and he
    > has passed away so I couldn't ask him. I have tried using the DLINK
    > installation manual and Laptop 2 will connect to the wireless router but
    > not to the DSL-504.
    >

    > Laptop 1
    >
    > Connected to DSL-504 _________________ DSL-504
    > ________DI-524 -------------------Laptop 2
    >
    > with cat 5 cable modem/router wireless router
    > running windows vista home
    >
    > Running windows XP home edition with wireless adapter

    The DI-524 may not be the device you quite think it is.
    The DI_524 is designed to connect directly to a DSL or Cable modem, not to
    another router.
    As such when connected to a DSL or Cable modem it feeds the
    username/password saved into it's memory to the modem to enable auto logon
    to the ISP.
    i.e.
    DSL Modem ....<user/password<....[524...Router...LAN Switch and Wireless
    AP...504] ...(192.168.x.x)....connected PC's

    The DSL-504 is a DSL Modem / Router combined.
    i.e.
    DSL connection...[504....DSL Modem..<user/password<....Router....LAN
    Switch....504]....(10.x.x.x)...Connected PC's

    So when you plug the 524's Wan port into the Lan port on the 504 the 524 is
    trying to shove an ISP broadband username & password at the 504.
    The 504 doesn't know what to do with this as it already has the username &
    password it'self for the modem to ISP connection.
    Effectively the two won't link up and transfer any data, as you have found.

    i.e.
    DSL connection..[504..etc...504 LAN port]....<user/password<not understood
    by 504....[524..Router...LAN Switch and Wireless AP...504]
    ....(192.168.x.x)....Connected PC's

    (Another way to think of a 524 is as a 504 'without' the DSL Modem)

    So what are you trying to do?
    Create a wireless link from the 504 to your Laptop?

    If so what you need is a 'Wireless Access Point' not a 'Wireless Router'
    eg something like a DWL-2100AP, as here
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=292
    With a DWL-2100 the Wan port asks the 504 for an IP address, the Lan ports
    and Wireless connection of the DWL-2100 have their own built in DHCP server
    and issue IP's in 'this' DHCP servers range to devices connected thereto.
    The 504 has nothing to do with issuing IP's to the devices connected to the
    lan side of the DWL-2100.
    (The Wan port on the DWL-2100 will most likey have an IP in the 10.x.x.x
    range, the Lan ports and Wireless of the DWL-2100 will probably issue IP's
    in the 192.168.x.x range from what I've seen)

    Having said that the 524 'MAY' work as a Wireless Access Point by:
    1 Ignore the Wan socket & leave disconnected.
    2 Log into the 524 via one of it's LAN ports and set up your Wireless (SSID,
    Channel, Security (WPA, WPA2) and access code etc)
    3Turn off the DHCP server in the 524. Note it's a while since I've done
    this, so turning of the DHCP server in the 504 may work better. The
    objective is to only have one DHCP server running.
    4 Plug one of the LAN sockets of the 524 into one of the LAN sockets of the
    504
    5 Turn the device running the DHCP server first, then the other.

    I have used a DI-624 like this many moons ago despite Dlinks website saying
    it wasn't realy designed to work that way.
    The theory is that all you are using in the 524 is the Network Switch on the
    LAN side of it's router.
    Can't say it was particularly successfull, but it did work (sorta)

    Be interested to know if you do try this and it works for you.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 7, 2008