    Can connect to the router via _wireless_ card using fixed IP
    Can NOT connect to the router via _wireless_ card using DHCP

    What could cause this problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=, Nov 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=

    ANONYMOUS Guest

    Most probabaly the router is not running under DHCP option. what is the
    make & model of your router so that instructions can be given to check
    this.

    Normally, you connect the router with cable and in the browser type:

    http://192.168.1.1

    then you may be required to log in as ADMIN with Password ADMIN
    (linksys) etc etc.

    then you need to check for a ta dealing with routing.

    Because you are not using an ADSL modem so I won't bore you with
    CHAP/MSCHAP configurations. Many people have difficulties with this.

    Hope this gives you a start.

    ANONYMOUS, Nov 13, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    One possible explaination.
    If the MAC filter is On, and you did not configure in the MAC of the
    Wireless card it would not connect.
    Some Routers would allow Static IP regardless of the MAC.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Thanks for replying!

    DHCP _is_ enabled on the router (client on the WAN side, server on the LAN
    side).

    When I tried to use fixed IP addresses, PC would connect to the router but
    internet websites could not be accesses. ("Server not found" message).

    The router is Zyxel P-334WT, the wireless card is Zyxel G-360

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Hi Jack,

    Thanks for replying!

    MAC filter is on indeed but I do have the address configured in alright.
    When as an experiment I misspelled MAC address, the connection would not be
    established at all (red cross icon as in "cable unplugged"), wireless card's
    utility showed 0 signal strength.

    Now with DHCP option I can see strong connection (icon lights up, utility
    shows decent signal) but 169.xx IP address is assigned which results in
    limited / no connectivity.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=, Nov 13, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=

    ANONYMOUS Guest

    Lolik,

    Google for a file called: winsockXPFix.exe. This small program will
    fix your winsock.dll and reset your CP/IP so that it can receive IP
    addresses dynamically.

    If you are receiving connection via wired configuration then you don't
    need to check your CHAP/MSCHAP.

    hth

    ANONYMOUS, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Hi ANONYMOUS,

    winsockXPFix.exe did not work.

    After the fix was applied, the card did not show any signal and utility had
    to be reinstalled.

    Just curious: what's CHAP/MSCHAP?

    Please note:
    1) DHCP works on wired LAN.

    2) the wireless card connects just fine if assigned fixed IP.
    However no internet connection is established in 2).

    Tried to turn Firewall off. Same results.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=, Nov 13, 2005
  8. Have you found a solution to this? I have the exact same problem on a remote
    users machine.
    Have you tried to disable "IEEE 802.1x authentication ..." in the wireless
    properties?

    George Marshall, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Hi George,

    I disabled IEEE 802.1x authentication from the start as the router required
    some settings I could not figure out.

    I finally got it working tonight.

    The problem seems to be in manufacturer's utility driver - or else my PC (I
    had prior to installing the wireless card and connecting to the router,
    generously disabled many Windows services which I now re-started).

    This utility driver is using Odyssey Network Services. What I did was start
    the utility with Odyssey Network Services enabled, and then disable Odyssey
    Network Services while the card was trying to connect.

    I left "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" unchecked at
    all stages.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9saWs=?=, Nov 15, 2005