    address.

    What can I do.
    THanks...Peter

    Peter Welk, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Peter Welk

    Peter Welk Guest

    I would like to add a little more info. When the ip is assigned on the
    problem computer it assigns an ip address of 169.254.114.119 and a subnet of
    255.255.0.0. The address expected that the router would assign would be
    192.168.254.103. When I manually configure the ip address, gateway and dns I
    can see and access all the other computers using the wireless network and I
    can ping the router but still no access to the WAN nor can I connect to the
    routers administrative web page. I am using a wep key and it is working or I
    would not be able to see my other computers. Futhermore I am unable to
    disable the network connections unless I go to device manager and disable
    the network adapter. When I try to disable the network connection I get the
    following error.

    "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection
    may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play, or it
    may have been initiated by another user or system account"

    I am running McAfee antivirus.
    Can anyone help

    Peter Welk, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Peter Welk

    Jim C Guest

    I am having the same problem with my Linksys card. Worked fine under XP pro
    SP1, but broke under SP2. According to Microsoft, the Linksys driver must
    be updated. But no word from Linksys of when one can expect that update.

    Jim C, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Peter Welk

    Peter Welk Guest

    I am also useing xp sp2 but it was working for a long while so I am at a
    loss as to why it begins now to act up now. Furthmore the network is working
    when I manually configure the ip address. I just have no access to the WAN
    because the router is not assigning the IP. If it were a driver problem I
    would guess the network would not work at all ???
    Peter

    Peter Welk, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Peter Welk

    Peter Welk Guest

    More info.
    I am using a US Robotics USR8054 router and a US Robotics / USR5416 /
    100Mbps / 802.11g / PCI / Wireless Adapter.

    Thanks..Peter

    Peter Welk, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Peter Welk

    Jim C Guest

    Some more info from my side. I've had this type of problem on several of
    the network adaptors on my ThinkPad - both wired & wireless. At the office
    the other day, I could not get a DHCP-assigned address using my wired
    network adaptor. Dropped ZoneAlarm - no joy. Rebooted - same result.
    Refreshed the TCP/IP stack - same result. Finally got it to work by
    unplugging the laptop & removing the battery for 1 minute or so. (Note -
    the SP2 firewall is off for all cases.)

    So, from my prospective, appears that SP2 is blocking responses to the DHCP
    server under certain conditions??

    Jim C, Oct 14, 2004
  7. Guys first make sure that DHCP under services.msc is set to auotmatic and not
    manual. Thats the main casue of similar accounts that I have expierenced with
    clients. Hope that helps.

    Will

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBbQmV0YSBJRDogNDk1NTEyXQ==?=, Oct 16, 2004
  8. Peter Welk

    Ozone Guest

    I noticed on my computers the DHCP client service crashes just after
    wireless is activated.

    Ozone, Oct 30, 2004
  9. Hi guys,

    Happy to know that I'm not alone with this problem.

    I'm expiriencing something similar. With Win XP Prof. SP2. When I'm working
    at home everythings goes fine if I go outside and try to connect to another
    network I can not do it. I will see the other networks but after a long
    period waiting for the acquiring DCHP address process I obtain a Private IP
    address (169.162.xxx.xxx).

    Other behaivior is that sometimes I'm the wireless network connection
    windows shows a network and says not connected and then the botton right
    button says disconnect.

    I contact MS online support and they refer me to the computer constructor
    which of course refers me to MS. So "service" seems to be something used just
    for marketing purporses.

    Regards

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmVz?=, Nov 22, 2004