DHCP warning 1003

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RalfG, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. RalfG

    RalfG Guest

    Windows XP MCE, I see this DHCP warning message frequently in the event
    viewer, but only after booting or rebooting the computer. When it happens
    the wireless connection remains disconnected despite being set to
    autoconnect. The wireless adapter connects normally maybe every other boot.

    The contents of the message never vary:

    "Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the
    DHCP Server) for the Network Card . . . ***The operation was canceled by the
    user.***. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its
    own from the network address (DHCP) server."

    Repairing the connection isn't required, I can always connect manually to
    the router afterwards. Looking at the other event messages that were logged
    during the boot sequence it appears that the wireless adapter does connect
    to the router at some point during bootup but it is disconnected again
    within a few seconds. That is followed by the DHCP event 1003 message. In
    case it matters, the adapter is a D-Link DWL-G132 with WPA encryption
    enabled.

    The question is, what process is this mysterious "user'' that cancels the
    network connection and how can I circumvent this happening?

    I suspect it is a firewall issue and I've seen it happen with all of the
    software firewalls I've tried except the Windows firewall. Just lately I
    switched to Comodo firewall to see if that behaved any differently, but no
    luck. MS KB suggests that the firewall could be blocking broadcasts, but I
    don't know what process, ports, IPs or protocols to unblock.

    RalfG, Jun 12, 2006

  2. RalfG

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I'd look to the USB port and USB power management. Go into device
    manager and turn off power management on the USB root hubs (don't let
    the USB port turn off power). I'd also try a different USB port if you
    have that option (with power management disable on it). If this does
    not help, some info on the computer - brand - model, etc. night help.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 13, 2006

  3. RalfG

    RalfG Guest

    Thanks Barb. Power management was already disabled on all USB hubs but I did
    switch the adapter over to a different port. I'll see how it goes after a
    few boot cycles.

    Meanwhile, the computer is an HP m1280n. USB is onboard, both 2.0 and 1.1
    controllers, with 6 (combination) ports installed plus a 9in1 memory card
    reader. Four USB ports are always in use but the USB wireless adapter is
    usually the only USB 2 device connected. Hmmm, interestingly it isn't
    reporting any power requirements.

    RalfG, Jun 13, 2006
  4. RalfG

    RalfG Guest