DHCP renewal suddenly started to fail with WPA-WSK

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. I have a D-Link DWL-2000AP+ configured to use WPA-PSK. After I initially
    configured this, all of my (Windows XP SP2) clients were connecting fine, and
    receiving IP addresses from the (Windows Server 2003 SP1) DHCP server (lease
    time 1 day). Then, two days later, as each lease came up for renewal they
    failed, one by one. This means that they all renewed successfully after the
    initial WPA-PSK configuration, but have failed to do so even since.

    Because of cabling issues in my building, the DHCP server has two network
    interfaces - one wired LAN connection for computers near the server (this is
    issuing IP addresses with no problems) and a wireless connection (a D-Link
    DWL-520+ PCI adapter) back to a the access point and another wired subnet
    upstairs (this is the one with DHCP problems). I have checked the bindings
    and the DHCP server is bound to both adapters (as it has been ever since the
    server was rebuilt a couple of months back). IP forwarding is also enabled
    on the server so the two subnets effectively become one.

    If I set static IP addresses on the upstairs LAN, both wired and wireless
    clients can connect (and use the wireless network to access the server
    downstairs); however I would like to go back to using DHCP and can't see what
    went wrong!

    There are no errors indicated in the DHCP logs, and nothing obvious in the
    event log either. I've carried out a network trace (using a wired
    connection, which is then forwarded by the access point to the server's
    wireless interface) and can see the DHCP Discover (x4), but no replies (is
    this because of the encryption?).

    I can't use WPA2 (because the AP doesn't support it), and will not use WEP.
    This solution did work for about 48 hours before it all started to collapse!
    I'm pretty sure it's nothing I did because it started to go wrong over the
    Christmas holidays when the computers were on but no-one was using them!

    TIA, Mark

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=, Dec 28, 2005

  2. After writing this HUGE post, I checked out
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13640889. I turned off any speed
    enhancing technologies (which in turn reset the AP) and everything jumped
    into life. I rloaded my original config (saved last week) and everything
    still worked...

    ....I can't understand why when a client fails to renew an address from a
    DHCP server, the infrastructure between teh two hosts needs to be rebooted...

    arghhhhh!

    (fingers crossed this stays up for a while now - I used Ethereal to trace
    the network as I renewed one of the IP addresses (ipconfig -renew Local*) and
    saw all of the DHCP traffic this time rather than just the original DHCP
    Discover packet.

    </Mark>

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=, Dec 28, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=

    Jeff Guest

    I have the same problem and do not use Speed enhancing software. I wonder if
    the problem has something to do with too much stuff loaded in Ram and the
    latest XP update making Windows unable to handle it as well.

    Are you running in Windows XP and do you use Firefox 1.5?

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 29, 2005
  4. Hi Jeff,
    I am indeed running XP (SP2, fully patched using WSUS) and two of the four
    clients have Firefox 1.5 on them.

    After finding that an AP reboot fixed things yesterday I had problems again
    today (same scenario). My clients could all continue to use the wireless LAN
    okay, but failed to contact the server (with the D-Link card in it) so lost
    any ability to access DNS (on the server) and hence resolve any names on the
    Internet. Eventually they would also have lost their IP addresses as the DHCP
    leases came up for renewal...

    ....that leads me to think that my D-Link card is losing sync with the D-Link
    AP. I've turned off all the speed enhancements on the AP and forced the
    server down to 11Mbps (again) but I'm starting to think I might have to
    replace the WiFi card in the server for something more modern (e.g. a D-Link
    54Mbps card to match the AP).

    If it does turn out to be an XP issue, my server runs Windows Server 2003
    SP1 so it's also a wider problem.

    Grateful for any assistance or ideas that anyone has.

    </mark>

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=, Dec 29, 2005