    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ok, n00b question...
    > how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I have
    > reserved for it?
    >
    > I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >
    > If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    > yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it as a
    > DHCP server.

    /etc/init.d/network stop
    /etc/init.d/network start

    or

    ifdown eth0
    ifup eth0

    That's for generic linux, btw.

    steve

    Steve, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ok, n00b question...
    > how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I have
    > reserved for it?
    >
    > I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >
    > If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    > yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it as a
    > DHCP server.

    Hi Dave
    On RH/Fedora..... down in /etc/rc.d directories...(rc3.d) is a
    S10network script. As root it would be /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network
    restart or stop or start. The '3' being the run level, so have a stooge
    around there as this is the place where things start.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Steve Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> ok, n00b question...
    >> how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I have
    >> reserved for it?
    >>
    >> I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >>
    >> If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    >> yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it as
    >> a DHCP server.
    >>

    > Hi Dave
    > On RH/Fedora..... down in /etc/rc.d directories...(rc3.d) is a
    > S10network script. As root it would be /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network
    > restart or stop or start. The '3' being the run level, so have a stooge
    > around there as this is the place where things start.

    The masters are kept in /etc/init.d, there should only be symbolic links
    in rc<run-level>.d [ except for slackware, of course! ].

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Steve wrote:
    >> ok, n00b question...
    >> how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I have
    >> reserved for it?

    >> If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    >> yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it as
    >> a DHCP server.

    > /etc/init.d/network stop
    > /etc/init.d/network start

    that worked, well, kinda, but it grabbed an IP from an entirely
    different range to what it was meant to... was meant to grab a 172.16
    addy but got a 192.168... and the DHCP server isn't handing them out, so
    god know where it got that from.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Malcolm wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> ok, n00b question...
    >> how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I have
    >> reserved for it?
    >>
    >> I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >>
    >> If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    >> yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it as
    >> a DHCP server.
    >>

    > Hi Dave
    > On RH/Fedora..... down in /etc/rc.d directories...(rc3.d) is a
    > S10network script. As root it would be /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network
    > restart or stop or start. The '3' being the run level, so have a stooge
    > around there as this is the place where things start.

    thanks but thats not it... looks like more googling for me.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ./ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ok, n00b question...
    >>> how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I
    >>> have reserved for it?
    >>>
    >>> I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >>>
    >>> If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    >>> yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it
    >>> as a DHCP server.
    >>>

    >> Hi Dave
    >> On RH/Fedora..... down in /etc/rc.d directories...(rc3.d) is a
    >> S10network script. As root it would be /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network
    >> restart or stop or start. The '3' being the run level, so have a
    >> stooge around there as this is the place where things start.

    > thanks but thats not it... looks like more googling for me.

    Search the gentoo forums instead. Thats where I got the below command from.

    # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

    ./, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    True... should have said a link to... :)

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Oct 26, 2004
  9. Steve wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ok, n00b question...
    >>> how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I
    >>> have reserved for it?
    >>>
    >>> I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >>>
    >>> If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    >>> yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it
    >>> as a DHCP server.
    >>>

    >> Hi Dave
    >> On RH/Fedora..... down in /etc/rc.d directories...(rc3.d) is a
    >> S10network script. As root it would be /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network
    >> restart or stop or start. The '3' being the run level, so have a
    >> stooge around there as this is the place where things start.
    >>

    > The masters are kept in /etc/init.d, there should only be symbolic links
    > in rc<run-level>.d [ except for slackware, of course! ].

    dhcclient renew

    well shit, that was easy.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >>> ok, n00b question...
    >>> how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I
    >>> have reserved for it?

    >>> If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    >>> yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it
    >>> as a DHCP server.

    >> /etc/init.d/network stop
    >> /etc/init.d/network start

    > that worked, well, kinda, but it grabbed an IP from an entirely
    > different range to what it was meant to... was meant to grab a 172.16
    > addy but got a 192.168... and the DHCP server isn't handing them out, so
    > god know where it got that from.

    There must be another dhcp server running somewhere...no DSL routers
    about? Run tcpdump and see what's being broadcast about.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Oct 26, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Malcolm wrote:

    >>> Hi Dave
    >>> On RH/Fedora..... down in /etc/rc.d directories...(rc3.d) is a
    >>> S10network script. As root it would be /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network
    >>> restart or stop or start. The '3' being the run level, so have a
    >>> stooge around there as this is the place where things start.
    >>>

    >> The masters are kept in /etc/init.d, there should only be symbolic
    >> links in rc<run-level>.d [ except for slackware, of course! ].

    > dhcclient renew
    >
    > well shit, that was easy.

    lol you could create a softlink called ipconfig to dhcclient....then you
    would be home and hosed... :)

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Oct 26, 2004
  12. Malcolm wrote:
    >> dhcclient renew
    >> well shit, that was easy.

    > lol you could create a softlink called ipconfig to dhcclient....then you
    > would be home and hosed... :)

    indeed...
    I just needed to give it full access to the outside, as until now it was
    on a normal IP addy that had restricted access through the FW
    here(work)... made a reservation on the server in the group of IP's we
    use for errr, other things that need outside access, and now it will
    update just brilliantly.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > ok, n00b question...
    > how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I have
    > reserved for it?
    >
    > I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >
    > If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    > yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it as a
    > DHCP server.

    ifdown eth0

    and

    ifup eth0

    should do the trick.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 26, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:51:51 +1300, Malcolm
    <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> ok, n00b question...
    >> how do I get it to drop it's current IP and pick up the new one I have
    >> reserved for it?
    >>
    >> I know I could restart the machine, but thats not the point.
    >>
    >> If I know how to do it, the rest of my night will be much easier, and
    >> yes I have googled for it, finding many many references to using it as a
    >> DHCP server.
    >>

    >Hi Dave
    >On RH/Fedora..... down in /etc/rc.d directories...(rc3.d) is a
    >S10network script. As root it would be /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network
    >restart or stop or start. The '3' being the run level, so have a stooge
    >around there as this is the place where things start.

    RH used to have a "service" command to stop and start things in rc
    directories, eg you could say "service httpd restart" or something.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 26, 2004