DHCP relay

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Skylar Thompson, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. I've got a Cisco AGS+ system running IOS 11 (the last IOS that Cisco
    supports on AGS hardware). It's hooked up to an Extreme switch that routes
    traffic to the subnets that it handles. Those networks have to be isolated
    from the main network for security reasons. I'm trying to get DHCP
    broadcast requests generated on those subnets to be forwarded to one of my
    DHCP servers on the main network. These are the configuration parameters I
    gave it:

    ip dhcp-server 159.28.230.3
    ip forward-protocol udp bootpc
    ip forward-protocol udp bootps

    And then in each of the interface sections I added:

    ip helper-address 159.28.230.3

    Running both the DHCP client and server in debug mode showed that no DHCP
    packets made it to the DHCP server. I can, however, manually assign an IP
    address and a default route and ping the DHCP server from the other
    network. Am I doing something wrong, or is DHCP relaying not supported by
    IOS 11?

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson ()
    -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/