DHCP relay and VPN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by RC, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. RC

    RC Guest

    Has anyone tried this?

    PIX 506e 6.3(5)

    I'd like my VPN clients to get their IP addresses from our internal DHCP
    server, not the PIX. I can enable DHCP relay on the outside interface and
    point it at the internal DHCP server, but this just doesn't sound like a
    good idea. Would I have to permit inbound DHCP requests or, since it's
    inside a tunnel, would it pass through without opening up the firewall.

    Ultimately I what I'm really after is a way to use DHCP to hand out the same
    address to a given workstation regardless if it is connected to the LAN or
    VPN. I have a feeling DHCP won't work for this even if it does relay the
    request.

    Has anyone tried something like this, or has an idea how it may be
    accomplished?

    Thanks
    RC

    RC, Dec 8, 2006