    ACL to dchp relay agent work?

    Thanks and Regards;
    Vimokh

    Vimokh, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Vimokh

    Merv Guest

    DHCP version 4 uses UDP with source IP address 0.0.0.0,destinaion
    address 255.255.255.255, source UDP port 68 and destination UDP port 67
    to send a DHCPDISCOVER request to the DHCP server.

    The DHCP server will then unicast a DHCP Offer packet back to the DHCP
    relay agent which will forward it to the DHCP client.

    The DHCP client will then sent a DHCP request to the Dhcp server
    indicating that it will use the offered IP address.

    The DHCP server will unicast a DHCP acknowledgement to the DHCP client.

    The access list smust be modified to permit the DHCP packets described.

    Merv, Sep 5, 2006

  3. On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 02:58:52 -0700, Merv wrote:

    > DHCP version 4 uses UDP with source IP address 0.0.0.0,destinaion
    > address 255.255.255.255, source UDP port 68 and destination UDP port 67
    > to send a DHCPDISCOVER request to the DHCP server.
    >
    > The DHCP server will then unicast a DHCP Offer packet back to the DHCP
    > relay agent which will forward it to the DHCP client.
    >
    > The DHCP client will then sent a DHCP request to the Dhcp server
    > indicating that it will use the offered IP address.
    >
    > The DHCP server will unicast a DHCP acknowledgement to the DHCP client.
    >

    > The access list smust be modified to permit the DHCP packets described.

    Also, clients renewing their lease unicast a DHCPREQUEST to the server
    that assigned them their lease. You need to account for this on an
    ingress ACL as well, i.e.

    !
    permit udp <src addr & mask> eq 68 host <dhcp server addr> eq 67
    !

    --
    Rgds,
    Martin