    The reason I ask is I am seeing requests from one machine (192.168.11)
    for both that IP and .12 (Mac address confirms the request)

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Collector»NZ <> provided this moment of
    wisdom....

    >I machine (DHCP Server) with fixed IP (192.168.1.1)
    >2 others set to IP by DHCP (issued 192.168.1.11 and 12)
    >All W2k
    >DHCP range set to 192.168.10 to .14 lease time 720min
    >
    >Once each machine has got an IP I shoukld not see any more DHCP traffic
    >till either a new machine connects, an old machine reconnects of the
    >lease expires. Am I correct in this.
    >
    >The reason I ask is I am seeing requests from one machine (192.168.11)
    >for both that IP and .12 (Mac address confirms the request)

    Eekk, I should know this.

    Without researching (just taking a stab), maybe the DHCP server is
    polling the clients to see if they're still there, and the clients are
    replying - hence the traffic?

    Aslo, try releaseing & renewing the IP and see if that stops it.

    Ryan Jacobs, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Ryan Jacobs said the following on 9/02/2005 1:26 p.m.:
    > Collector»NZ <> provided this moment of
    > wisdom....
    >

    >>I machine (DHCP Server) with fixed IP (192.168.1.1)
    >>2 others set to IP by DHCP (issued 192.168.1.11 and 12)
    >>All W2k
    >>DHCP range set to 192.168.10 to .14 lease time 720min
    >>
    >>Once each machine has got an IP I shoukld not see any more DHCP traffic
    >>till either a new machine connects, an old machine reconnects of the
    >>lease expires. Am I correct in this.
    >>
    >>The reason I ask is I am seeing requests from one machine (192.168.11)
    >>for both that IP and .12 (Mac address confirms the request)

    > Eekk, I should know this.
    >
    > Without researching (just taking a stab), maybe the DHCP server is
    > polling the clients to see if they're still there, and the clients are
    > replying - hence the traffic?
    >
    > Aslo, try releaseing & renewing the IP and see if that stops it.

    Okay the request comes from the client not the server and I have been
    down the release renew path

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:19:39 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Once each machine has got an IP I shoukld not see any more DHCP traffic
    > till either a new machine connects, an old machine reconnects of the lease
    > expires. Am I correct in this.

    Nope, the clients should reconfirm their lease with the server at 50% of
    the lease time, and again at 75%. From hazy memory the 75% query might
    only happen if they get no response from the 50% one, but I forget :)

    Even with DHCP most computers will renew with the same IPs through many
    leases unless they are off for extended periods.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 9, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:49:29 +1300, AD. wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:19:39 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Once each machine has got an IP I shoukld not see any more DHCP traffic
    >> till either a new machine connects, an old machine reconnects of the
    >> lease expires. Am I correct in this.

    > Nope, the clients should reconfirm their lease with the server at 50% of
    > the lease time, and again at 75%. From hazy memory the 75% query might
    > only happen if they get no response from the 50% one, but I forget :)
    >
    > Even with DHCP most computers will renew with the same IPs through many
    > leases unless they are off for extended periods.

    OK, so I went and looked it up:

    http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/guide/netdhcp.html

    The 75% time is actually 87.5%

    --