DHCP Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fred, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. fred

    fred Guest

    I'm trying to get an MS laptop for a Redmond MS non-technical employee
    working on their home WiFi network. The laptop works on the MS internal
    network both on WiFi and ethernet cable. It's XP SP2.

    I have previously got the same laptop(pre-SP2) working on the same home WiFi
    setup but MS techs had to reinstall XP for other reasons. MS's internal
    help folks wont help with home networking.

    Previously all one had to do was turn off the internal MS proxy server
    settings in LAN Settting and then the home WiFi would work. Now the same
    changes don't work/help. I still can't get anything to work.

    That exact same failure happens in all the cases I've tried:
    1)WiFi with 128bit WEP
    2)WiFi no security
    3)hardwired ethernet
    It wont do DHCP. It wont get a new IP. IPCONFIG releases to 0.0.0.0 but
    renew fails and one gets back the same IP that was left there from the MS
    hookup. The laptop says its trying to get an IP but it fails. The same LAN
    cable will provide an IP to another(non-MS) laptop and desktop. The WiFi
    will supply an IP to another(non-MS) laptop. IPCONFIG on the WiFi always
    says that media is disconnected regardless of the fact that XP reports
    having found the home WiFi network.

    I'm unable to conveniently turn off SP2's firewall as Group Policies is set
    to prevent that. Also I've noticed someting in the System Tray about ISA
    server. Turning that off doesn't help.

    What's likely keeping this laptop from getting a new IP on the home
    network????
    What are obvious debug steps or experiemnts to solve this?
    IPSEC?
    fred, Jul 18, 2005

  2. fred

    pcbutts1 Guest

    fred <> wrote:

    > I'm trying to get an MS laptop for a Redmond MS non-technical employee
    > working on their home WiFi network.

    In your case, it might be easier to pick up a raw, shelled egg with
    chopsticks than to get an ms laptop for a redmond ms non-technical employee
    working on their home wifi network.

    > The laptop works on the MS internal network both on WiFi and ethernet
    > cable.

    And it's all so I can have better conversational skills?

    > It's XP SP2.

    It's part of village life.

    > I have previously got the same laptop(pre-SP2) working on the same home
    > WiFi setup but MS techs had to reinstall XP for other reasons.

    Really? You have previously got the same laptop?

    > MS's internal help folks wont help with home networking.

    Send an SOS.

    > Previously all one had to do was turn off the internal MS proxy server
    > settings in LAN Settting and then the home WiFi would work.

    AND DON'T STOP.

    > Now the same changes don't work/help.

    Don't let me catch you throwing your clothes around tomorrow.

    > I still can't get anything to work.

    Can't resist.

    > 1)WiFi with 128bit WEP 2)WiFi no security 3)hardwired ethernet It wont
    > do DHCP.

    Disingenuous.

    > It wont get a new IP.

    Get a sense of humour.

    > IPCONFIG releases to 0.

    To be with the rest of your kind.

    > 0 but renew fails and one gets back the same IP that was left there from
    > the MS hookup.

    From birth.

    > The laptop says its trying to get an IP but it fails.

    But can the world take it?

    > The same LAN cable will provide an IP to another(non-MS) laptop and
    > desktop.

    The service in this place sucks.

    > The WiFi will supply an IP to another(non-MS) laptop.

    The heavy hitters, huh?

    > IPCONFIG on the WiFi always says that media is disconnected regardless
    > of the fact that XP reports having found the home WiFi network.

    When?

    > I'm unable to conveniently turn off SP2's firewall as Group Policies is
    > set to prevent that.

    That could change very rapidly.

    > Also I've noticed someting in the System Tray about ISA server.

    I've turned into the kind of person I'd never be friends with.

    > Turning that off doesn't help.

    Help?

    > What's likely keeping this laptop from getting a new IP on the home
    > network?

    What's happening, bro'?

    > What are obvious debug steps or experiemnts to solve this?

    What answer would please you the most?

    > IPSEC?

    You know, it almost makes you feel normal.
    pcbutts1, Jul 18, 2005

  3. fred

    Guest

    What happens if you enter the IP information manually for the RJ-45 /
    Local Area Network connection, then plug it in?
    , Jul 18, 2005
  4. fred

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:30:59 GMT, fred wrote:

    >I'm trying to get an MS laptop for a Redmond MS non-technical employee

    This is allowed?

    >working on their home WiFi network. The laptop works on the MS internal

    Do they have internal tech support? (yes I did read further down)

    Workgroup / domain names?

    >network both on WiFi and ethernet cable. It's XP SP2.
    >
    >I have previously got the same laptop(pre-SP2) working on the same home WiFi
    >setup but MS techs had to reinstall XP for other reasons. MS's internal
    >help folks wont help with home networking.

    That's funny, they (MS) will mess up home settings with introducing
    patches and SP's.

    NetStumbler, http://www.netstumbler.org/

    >3)hardwired ethernet

    It's assumed on the laptop that networking device (1) and (3) are
    installed by MS, can you put in another NIC, say hardwired you have a
    bit more control of?

    With (3) do you get link light on the PC/Router ends?

    Try (3) again, but manually specify IP settings within the range of the
    home router.

    >It wont do DHCP. It wont get a new IP. IPCONFIG releases to 0.0.0.0 but
    >renew fails and one gets back the same IP that was left there from the MS
    >hookup. The laptop says its trying to get an IP but it fails. The same LAN

    Usually with issues like this, I use a repeater and a 2nd PC running a
    packet sniffer to see the outgoing DHCP requests (and any replies) from
    the problem PC.

    On a setup like that, someone else's group policy / setup I wouldn't
    install the sniffer capture driver / sniffer app anyway.

    >cable will provide an IP to another(non-MS) laptop and desktop. The WiFi
    >will supply an IP to another(non-MS) laptop. IPCONFIG on the WiFi always
    >says that media is disconnected regardless of the fact that XP reports

    A common issue, see www.google.com for many different comments on 'media
    disconnected' ,
    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows xp media is disconnected

    >having found the home WiFi network.

    The devices are enabled for connecting?

    You are logging on to the laptop at home using an internal MS network
    account or a local account?

    >I'm unable to conveniently turn off SP2's firewall as Group Policies is set
    >to prevent that. Also I've noticed someting in the System Tray about ISA

    ISA server is firewall / web cache etc.
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/default.mspx
    so at home you most likely don't want to connect that way.

    >server. Turning that off doesn't help.
    >
    >What's likely keeping this laptop from getting a new IP on the home
    >network????

    It may even be a policy / account restriction.

    Packet sniffer, to see whats happening.

    >What are obvious debug steps or experiemnts to solve this?

    See last comment above.

    >IPSEC?

    What is IPSEC, http://webopedia.com/TERM/I/IPsec.html

    A very handy utility for multiple network configurations is Netswitcher
    , www.netswitcher.com however the wireless fancy bit is an upcoming new
    feature.

    Me
    why?, Jul 18, 2005
  5. fred

    fred Guest

    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:30:59 GMT, fred wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to get an MS laptop for a Redmond MS non-technical employee

    > This is allowed?

    YES!

    >>working on their home WiFi network. The laptop works on the MS internal

    > Do they have internal tech support? (yes I did read further down)
    >
    > Workgroup / domain names?

    Inet connectivity is the issue. How do the above relate to that.?

    >>network both on WiFi and ethernet cable. It's XP SP2.
    >>
    >>I have previously got the same laptop(pre-SP2) working on the same home
    >>WiFi
    >>setup but MS techs had to reinstall XP for other reasons. MS's internal
    >>help folks wont help with home networking.

    > That's funny, they (MS) will mess up home settings with introducing
    > patches and SP's.

    Inhouse security and proxy configurations are the more likely reason. The
    non-MS laptop that I described that does work also has SP2 and uses SP2's
    firewall and works flawlessly.

    >>Previously all one had to do was turn off the internal MS proxy server
    >>settings in LAN Settting and then the home WiFi would work. Now the same
    >>changes don't work/help. I still can't get anything to work.
    >>
    >>That exact same failure happens in all the cases I've tried:
    >>1)WiFi with 128bit WEP
    >>2)WiFi no security

    > NetStumbler, http://www.netstumbler.org/

    Thanks, I'll investigate that.

    >>3)hardwired ethernet

    > It's assumed on the laptop that networking device (1) and (3) are
    > installed by MS, can you put in another NIC, say hardwired you have a
    > bit more control of?

    I'll consider that.

    > With (3) do you get link light on the PC/Router ends?

    Yes.

    > Try (3) again, but manually specify IP settings within the range of the
    > home router.

    I'll try that. If that works then what's killing the DHCP?

    >>It wont do DHCP. It wont get a new IP. IPCONFIG releases to 0.0.0.0 but
    >>renew fails and one gets back the same IP that was left there from the MS
    >>hookup. The laptop says its trying to get an IP but it fails. The same
    >>LAN

    > Usually with issues like this, I use a repeater and a 2nd PC running a
    > packet sniffer to see the outgoing DHCP requests (and any replies) from
    > the problem PC.

    Could you describe that setup in DETAIL, please.

    > On a setup like that, someone else's group policy / setup I wouldn't
    > install the sniffer capture driver / sniffer app anyway.

    I don't follow. You wouldn't install the sniffer on the failing MS laptop
    or you wouldn't install the sniffer on "2nd PC running a packet sniffer"?

    >>cable will provide an IP to another(non-MS) laptop and desktop. The WiFi
    >>will supply an IP to another(non-MS) laptop. IPCONFIG on the WiFi always
    >>says that media is disconnected regardless of the fact that XP reports

    > A common issue, see www.google.com for many different comments on 'media
    > disconnected' ,
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=windows xp media is disconnected
    >
    >>having found the home WiFi network.

    > The devices are enabled for connecting?

    Rephrase that please?

    > You are logging on to the laptop at home using an internal MS network
    > account or a local account?

    There's no accout to log onto on the home network. The standard username/PW
    that's used at MS(work) is used at home or with no network connection which
    is the usual for laptop security.

    >>I'm unable to conveniently turn off SP2's firewall as Group Policies is
    >>set
    >>to prevent that. Also I've noticed someting in the System Tray about ISA

    > ISA server is firewall / web cache etc.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/default.mspx
    > so at home you most likely don't want to connect that way.

    Right, how does one select an alternative?

    >>server. Turning that off doesn't help.
    >>
    >>What's likely keeping this laptop from getting a new IP on the home
    >>network????

    > It may even be a policy / account restriction.

    How do I find and change that?

    fred, Jul 18, 2005
  6. fred

    Dave Lear Guest

    "fred" wrote in message

    > I'm trying to get an MS laptop for a Redmond MS non-technical
    > employee working on their home WiFi network. The laptop works
    > on the MS internal network both on WiFi and ethernet cable.
    > It's XP SP2.
    >
    > [ SNIP ]

    That would be an internal Microsoft employee who doesn't have access to
    Microsoft support personnel for this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/persup
    Dave Lear, Jul 19, 2005
  7. fred

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:17:40 GMT, fred wrote:

    >> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:30:59 GMT, fred wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to get an MS laptop for a Redmond MS non-technical employee

    >> This is allowed?

    <snip>

    >> Try (3) again, but manually specify IP settings within the range of the
    >> home router.

    >I'll try that. If that works then what's killing the DHCP?

    That won't be answered by specifying the IP manually, it will prover
    lots of other stuff works.

    >>>It wont do DHCP. It wont get a new IP. IPCONFIG releases to 0.0.0.0 but
    >>>renew fails and one gets back the same IP that was left there from the MS
    >>>hookup. The laptop says its trying to get an IP but it fails. The same
    >>>LAN

    >> Usually with issues like this, I use a repeater and a 2nd PC running a
    >> packet sniffer to see the outgoing DHCP requests (and any replies) from
    >> the problem PC.

    >Could you describe that setup in DETAIL, please.

    Instead of router ----- pc you do this ,

    router --to --- repeater --to--- pc with installed sniffer software.
    on another port on the repeater --connect--- pc with problem

    The router is usually a switch and it seperates traffic going to / from
    each port from the other, the repeater is a common link so all traffic
    to from the PC with the problem can be see by the sniffer.

    >> On a setup like that, someone else's group policy / setup I wouldn't
    >> install the sniffer capture driver / sniffer app anyway.

    >I don't follow. You wouldn't install the sniffer on the failing MS laptop
    >or you wouldn't install the sniffer on "2nd PC running a packet sniffer"?

    "I would install" the sniffer on the failing MS, if I knew more about
    it, had local admin rights, was sure that I could repair any issues, if
    there were a problem. Although I have never has a problem with the
    WinPcap driver, it's installed into the network stack.

    Basically my point there is (as a IT person) I don't have much time or
    sympathy for those that mess up 'works' laptops with 'home' networking.

    Using the repeater method, install the sniffer on the 2nd PC. It always
    works.

    >>>cable will provide an IP to another(non-MS) laptop and desktop. The WiFi
    >>>will supply an IP to another(non-MS) laptop. IPCONFIG on the WiFi always
    >>>says that media is disconnected regardless of the fact that XP reports

    >> A common issue, see www.google.com for many different comments on 'media
    >> disconnected' ,
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=windows xp media is disconnected
    >>
    >>>having found the home WiFi network.

    >> The devices are enabled for connecting?

    >Rephrase that please?

    The devices are enabled , for the permissions you log on with.

    >> You are logging on to the laptop at home using an internal MS network
    >> account or a local account?

    >There's no accout to log onto on the home network. The standard username/PW
    >that's used at MS(work) is used at home or with no network connection which
    >is the usual for laptop security.

    Fair enough we have domain / work account and local admin to let heavey
    users reapir / update / insall.

    >>>I'm unable to conveniently turn off SP2's firewall as Group Policies is
    >>>set
    >>>to prevent that. Also I've noticed someting in the System Tray about ISA

    >> ISA server is firewall / web cache etc.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/default.mspx
    >> so at home you most likely don't want to connect that way.

    >Right, how does one select an alternative?

    Don't know, don't uses ISA so don't know what to disable.

    >>>server. Turning that off doesn't help.
    >>>
    >>>What's likely keeping this laptop from getting a new IP on the home
    >>>network????

    >> It may even be a policy / account restriction.

    >How do I find and change that?

    See the people that set it up.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jul 19, 2005
  8. fred

    fred Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "fred" wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm trying to get an MS laptop for a Redmond MS non-technical
    >> employee working on their home WiFi network. The laptop works
    >> on the MS internal network both on WiFi and ethernet cable.
    >> It's XP SP2.
    >>
    >> [ SNIP ]

    > That would be an internal Microsoft employee who doesn't have access to
    > Microsoft support personnel for this?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/persup

    The above URL is bad. What is it you are trying to say?
    fred, Jul 19, 2005