    --
    Timu CHEN
    Email:

    Timu CHEN, Sep 25, 2006

  2. You might try disabling the ICS, on your desktop. Then powering down. Then restarting your desktop, enabling ICS, and then powering down again. Note that it will normally take longer than normal to power down after making the changes to ICS as files are rewritten during the powering down cycle. It's important to wait till these cycles complete. Also a ICS network card will not have a Gateway IP address, just the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Any changes here can break ICS.

    --
    David Hettel
    Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    "Timu CHEN" <> wrote in message news:u$...
    I have a desktop PC with 10/100 network, connected to a local network, as a DHCP client.
    I attached a USB wireless adaptor.

    I would like to setup ICS on this PC, so other notebook could connect to the USB wireless adaptor, and share the internet connection of the 10/100 network apaptor.

    I have enable the ICS on the 10/100 network adaptor setting, and the USB wireless adaptor also was given a fixed IP as "192.168.0.1".

    On the wireless connection part, I created a Ad-hoc connection on this desktop PC, and my other notebook is able to see this connection and connect to it.

    Now, this notebook is an ICS client, and is set to get IP automatically from the ICS host, which is my desktop PC. But the problem is DHCP service does not seem to work properly between the two machines. Mostly, the notebook does not get any IP automatically. However, if I manually setup an IP, all connections work fine.

    Many articles addressing such a connection told me the DHCP is by default enabled. But it is nor running at my office. Any ideas?

    Thanks very much.

    --
    Timu CHEN
    Email:

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 25, 2006

  3. Hi
    If your desktop is running Windows XP Pro, it is connected to a Network, and there is already Routing and a DHCP source, you are better of Bridging the connection rather than using ICS.
    This page describe Bridging setting. it is not exactly the same scenario as yours but you can infer from the info.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpbrdge.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 26, 2006
  4. "Timu CHEN" <> wrote in message
    > I have a desktop PC with 10/100 network, connected to a local network, as
    > a DHCP client.
    > I attached a USB wireless adaptor.

    > I would like to setup ICS on this PC, so other notebook could connect to
    > the USB wireless adaptor, and share the internet connection of the 10/100
    > network apaptor.

    Set up the wi-fi devices on both computer. On the one that is to share
    internet wirelessly with the other, share the wired connection. In the wi-fi
    connection on the same device, set up manual IP numbers NOT in the same
    range as that in your wired network (eg, if wired is 192.168.1.1 then make
    wi-fi 10.1.1.1 or something else similar). Don't put a gateway in this
    computer at all. On the laptop that is connecting wirelessly, put in an IP
    of the same range as that you put at the wi-fi NIC on the other computer and
    also put in, as the gateway, the wi-fi IP number of the computer that is
    sharing Internet for you. Also either put your ISP's DNS server IP addresses
    in on this computer OR put in the IP address of the wi-fi NIC on the sharing
    computer. The DNS numbers would be better, however.

    It works from there like that. I have actually done that for my own network
    prior to just getting an ADSL MODEM/ROUTER.

    Of course the easiest thing to do is to buy just a wi-fi router and attach
    your ADSL modem to it. All handled auto, then.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 26, 2006