    lets the machine pull a address but it works fine static. Its like DHCP just
    doesn't work on x64 on this machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been like
    this since installing.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=, Jan 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jan 31, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Rick Guest

    I don't have a solution for your problem with Win x64 and DHCP.

    However, after having several problems with DHCP when I first set up my
    home wireless network about 2 years ago, I decided to stay away from
    DHCP. I discovered my neighbors were connecting to my network and
    wanted to prevent that.

    My cousin had problems with her setup using DHCP. In her case the
    neighbors signal would cause her computer to switch to the neighbor's
    network. It caused problems, especially when downloading files. It
    took awhile to figure out what was going on, but when we switch to
    manually assigned IPs on all the computers virtually all her problems
    disappeared.

    Rick, Jan 31, 2006
  4. I doubt it, that this is inherent to DHCP, you can have static IP adresses
    too that way, and I do believe you can have dynamic adressing without any
    DHCP???

    And to Sprint: DHCP works brilliantly here, I see nVidia being mentioned -
    is this the good old firewall bug perchance?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 31, 2006
  5. "I discovered my neighbors were connecting to my network and wanted to
    prevent that."

    Sharing is caring. :)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 31, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Rick Guest

    I guess if you want to provide free internet service to your neighbors,
    then that's your prerogative. Since I have to pay for mine, let the
    neighbors pay for their own, and, I don't claim them as dependents on my
    income tax!

    Rick, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Do you have the nVidia firewall installed? If so, uninstall it and rely on
    the Windows firewall.

    The nVidia firewall is known to cause unexplained network access problems,
    and the recommendation is to install and then uninstall it as it appears
    that not installing it leaves some settings in a non-working state.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 31, 2006
  8. What Dominic says. Uninistall the nVidia firewall. If you haven't installed
    it, INSTALL it, and then UNinstall it. I know, it makes no sense. But do it
    anyway.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 31, 2006
  9. I also have a netgear router, and also pick up two different neighbors on it.
    they way to shut them out is use the WEP.

    I also have 2 computers on x64 both with AMD64 processors and have no
    problems with DHCP. My only problem is getting the wireless PCI cards to
    work in x64. Ed
    --
    Ed Cooper user

    =?Utf-8?B?QnVnRWQ=?=, Jan 31, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Shouldn't turning on WEP and assigning a key take care of the free-riders?

    M. Murcek, Jan 31, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Rick Guest

    I use WPA and static IPs with DHCP turned off in the router. The harder
    you make it for someone to tap into your network, the better off you are.

    What wireless cards do you have? There are x64 drivers for several of
    them and www.PlanetAMD.com is a good place to start.

    Rick, Jan 31, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Bill Guest

    And turn off the SSID broadcast. Three of my neighbors have open networks
    and didn't even bother to change the router id and password from the
    default. I changed their SSID's to "Hacked" but none have even noticed the
    change. I use WPA2-PSK, TKIP encryption and don't broadcast the SSID. No
    one even knows I have a wireless network. Last month, I even printed a
    birthday card to one of my neighbors on her shared printer. For her
    birthday present, I made her home network secure.

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 31, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Rick Guest

    It depends on how determined they are. WEP is the weakest of the
    encryptions and not too hard to break most of the time.

    Rick, Jan 31, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    IF you turn off SSID broadcasting it gets somewhat harder...

    M. Murcek, Jan 31, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Rick Guest

    This is true, but for some reason I have not been able to get my
    wireless to connect when I turn off SSID broadcasting. Maybe I just
    haven't figured out the correct way to go about it.

    Rick, Jan 31, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Rick Guest

    Apparently not all wireless hardware/software supports connection
    without SSID broadcast. A quick Google brought up several references to
    different brands and models that would not connect without SSID
    broadcasting.

    Rick, Jan 31, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    That's all true, and your point regarding WEP is well taken. We do need
    something better. Where's the IEEE with a new 802.xx standard when we need
    'em?

    M. Murcek, Jan 31, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:47:08 -0800, "BugEd"
    <> wrote:

    >I also have a netgear router, and also pick up two different neighbors on it.
    > they way to shut them out is use the WEP.

    I would throw MAC-restricting on top of that.

    Maybe the OP hasn't got DHCP enabled in the router. I know you can switch
    it off on Linksys-routers.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jan 31, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:38:30 -0500, Rick <>
    wrote:

    >This is true, but for some reason I have not been able to get my
    >wireless to connect when I turn off SSID broadcasting. Maybe I just
    >haven't figured out the correct way to go about it.

    Make sure that the spelling of the network name on both the computer and
    the router, are the same :)

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jan 31, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:07:09 -0500, "M. Murcek"
    <> wrote:

    >That's all true, and your point regarding WEP is well taken. We do need
    >something better. Where's the IEEE with a new 802.xx standard when we need
    >'em?

    There is something better, called WPA and WPA2. I think WPA is standard in
    Windows, but for WPA2 you need to apply a patch, and I'm not sure whether
    it's available for x64, but maybe it's in there already (don't know,
    because I prefer to be wired, so I can't check). Your router needs to
    support this as well by the way, and maybe you can simply get it with a
    firmware update.
    Another good way of protecting is MAC-address restriction. There are ways
    of spoofing Mac-addresses for the determinded however, but it makes a free
    ride again more difficult.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jan 31, 2006