DHCP not getting address

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV and
    firewall.

    I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).

    Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an IP
    address and connection.

    On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.

    I've tried -

    c:\>ipconfig /release
    c:\>ipconfig /renew

    It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this is
    not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.

    I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.

    I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)

    Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and restarted them.

    Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and blame
    each other.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Nov 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    You may find the following NTL member site helpful:

    Cable Modem Troubleshooting Tips:

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Thanks.

    I'll give it a try. The problem is certainly unusual though.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Nov 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Fernando Guest

    Hello Paul,

    Try to remove the TCP protocol and re-install it. Sometimes you the Windows
    CD is asked, but with XP it should't. I've resolved plenty of network
    problems doing this.

    Regards,

    Fernando.

    Fernando, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Yeah, that was my next plan. I'll do that this evening and see how it goes.

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Nov 23, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    tekgrl Guest

    trying changing the network card setting to 10 half duplex.

    tekgrl, Nov 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Quaoar Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV
    > and
    > firewall.
    >
    > I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).
    >
    > Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an
    > IP
    > address and connection.
    >
    > On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.
    >
    > I've tried -
    >
    > c:\>ipconfig /release
    > c:\>ipconfig /renew
    >
    > It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this
    > is
    > not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.
    >
    > I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.
    >
    > I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)
    >
    > Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and
    > restarted them.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and
    > blame
    > each other.

    If your NTL cable is similar to US cable systems, the cable modem must
    be power cycled, leaving it off for perhaps a minute, then restarting it
    before connecting a new MAC address to it (computer nic, router, etc).
    The power cycle clears the MAC address table and allows the modem to
    find the new computer.

    Quaoar, Nov 25, 2005
  8. I had the cable modem off for two days. No success.

    This problem is really confusing me.

    There seems to be a route in the system for 169.254.0.0 to gateway
    169.254.181.58

    Now, I've no idea where either of these addresses come from. I've never
    used any 169 addresses on the machine.

    I connected the machine to a Linksys wireless router, and it picks up the
    correct DHCP address from it of 192.168.1.100 (as I set in the config of the
    router), and then it can access the internet correctly.

    I did try using that tool to fix winsock, but no success. It's still
    finding this weird route and then won't find the cable modem IP (82.224 etc).

    Any ideas??

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Nov 25, 2005