Dhcp linux question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by FreddyK, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. FreddyK

    FreddyK Guest

    Linux DHCP Problem

    I need help urgently with a DHCP problem please .

    On my home gateway / firewall pc Im trying to change the static /
    fixed IP address for eth0 (the single network adaptor) to a
    dynamic IP address using DHCP.

    I need help setting up the DHCP server not the client DHCP on this
    firewall pc.

    The firewall pc is rehdat 8 and yes the NIC driver is loading fine
    during the bootup, and has been running fine for months using a fixed
    IP address for eth0.

    My internet connection is a 56k PPP dial up connection so I need to
    tell the DHCP server to ignore the PPP adaptor some how as well.

    Now since I have others here for Lan UT games whose pc`s are running
    Windows XP with a dynamic IP address for there network cards it means
    I have to change my computers to DHCP .

    I hope that's clear !

    My friends pc is running windows XP using ICS the addresses in the
    192.168.0.x range. With a 255.255.255.0 mask.

    So the big question is what to I need in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file
    to get this all working using DHCP on my linux firewall box ?

    Many thnx !!

    FreddyK, Sep 23, 2003

  2. "FreddyK" <> wrote in message
    > I need help setting up the DHCP server not the client DHCP on this
    > firewall pc.
    >
    > My friends pc is running windows XP using ICS the addresses in the
    > 192.168.0.x range. With a 255.255.255.0 mask.
    >
    > So the big question is what to I need in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file
    > to get this all working using DHCP on my linux firewall box ?

    First, read the dhcpd.conf man page. A sample dhcpd.conf file might look
    something like this:

    default-lease-time 86400;
    max-lease-time 86400;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
    option routers 192.168.0.254;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.254, 203.96.152.4, 203.96.152.12;
    option domain-name "makesomethingup";
    option netbios-name-servers 192.168.0.254;
    ddns-update-style none;

    subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.0.5 192.168.0.63;
    }

    host repair1 { hardware ethernet 00:48:54:5d:b7:93;
    fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
    }

    subnet 202.0.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 { }

    In this case, 192.168.0.254 is the internal network address of the dhcp
    server. 202.0.1.2 is the public ip address of your other ethernet card. If
    you only have one ethernet card (ie. you are not sharing broadband) you do
    not need the last line. It is important to have a subnet section for every
    subnet to which the machine is connected. The section host { ... } allows
    you to associate a static ip address with a mac address. You can have as
    many host sections as you require. The rest of the file should be obvious,
    and is well documented in the dhcpd.conf man page.

    Andrew Bryson
    Bryson Technologies Ltd
    http://www.bryson.co.nz

    Andrew Bryson, Sep 24, 2003

  3. FreddyK

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:02:10 +1200, FreddyK <>
    wrote:

    >Linux DHCP Problem
    >
    >I need help urgently with a DHCP problem please .
    >
    >On my home gateway / firewall pc Im trying to change the static /
    >fixed IP address for eth0 (the single network adaptor) to a
    >dynamic IP address using DHCP.
    >
    >I need help setting up the DHCP server not the client DHCP on this
    >firewall pc.
    >
    >The firewall pc is rehdat 8 and yes the NIC driver is loading fine
    >during the bootup, and has been running fine for months using a fixed
    >IP address for eth0.
    >
    >My internet connection is a 56k PPP dial up connection so I need to
    >tell the DHCP server to ignore the PPP adaptor some how as well.
    >
    > Now since I have others here for Lan UT games whose pc`s are running
    >Windows XP with a dynamic IP address for there network cards it means
    >I have to change my computers to DHCP .
    >

    >I hope that's clear !
    >
    >My friends pc is running windows XP using ICS the addresses in the
    >192.168.0.x range. With a 255.255.255.0 mask.
    >

    >So the big question is what to I need in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file
    >to get this all working using DHCP on my linux firewall box ?

    Why do you have to make the firewall a dynamic address? If you do that
    the other PCs won't be able to reach the Internet. Leave it as static,
    but don't include the firewall/gateway address in the DHCP scope.

    You friend could switch off ICS on his machine while connected to your
    network. That'd be the easiest solution.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Sep 24, 2003
  4. FreddyK

    FreddyK Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:11:59 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:02:10 +1200, FreddyK <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Linux DHCP Problem
    >>
    >>I need help urgently with a DHCP problem please .
    >>

    >>So the big question is what to I need in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file
    >>to get this all working using DHCP on my linux firewall box ?
    >>

    >Why do you have to make the firewall a dynamic address? If you do that
    >the other PCs won't be able to reach the Internet. Leave it as static,
    >but don't include the firewall/gateway address in the DHCP scope.

    understood ......
    >You friend could switch off ICS on his machine while connected to your
    >network. That'd be the easiest solution.

    My friend isnt the most clued or patient when dealing with computers ,
    I need a setup where things get done / setup once period.

    Also I sometimes take my pc to his place .. plus there are 2 others
    friends with computers that use a fixed ip address who sometimes join
    in for a Lan UT game.

    So 4 people are involved , and i need to keep things simple for them.

    FreddyK, Sep 25, 2003