    the same address". Would that have any positive effect on the connection?
    Thanks
    AD

    AD, Sep 20, 2006

  2. AD

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:56:41 +0100, AD wrote:

    >Hi, hope someone can assist!
    >I have a BT hub and find that when I come back from work and turn the laptop
    >on, the hub is not dectected... it can take quite awhile for the connection

    Quite a while, as in 4 hours?

    >to suddenly come back.

    It's not detected how? Laptop to BT hub no link light? Another PC
    connected to BT hub (which would be a hub or a Voyager modem with built
    in switch?) and looking at the status / MAC address table doesn't show
    the laptop MAC address / leased IP?

    You aren't doing ipconfig/release before leaving work. It's assumed you
    mean a Windows OS, it likes to try the last known DHCP server, the one
    at work. If you release the ipaddress first it may work better. DO same
    ipconfig/release before shutting down at home to take laptop back to
    work.

    >Looking at the hub configuration, I notice the DHCP lease time is 24 hours.
    >Is there a link between the connection being un-available and the lease

    Not with that much detail, no.

    The lease should renew at 50% intervals,

    0 , 12h , 18h, 21h etc.

    Only if you get to 24 hr and can't get a lease, a Win OS from at lease
    98 (maybe) , 2000 , XP and Vista will automatically assign a 169.254.x.x
    address, see www.google.com for APIPA

    >time? I have no option to increase it on the hub but can select "Always use
    >the same address". Would that have any positive effect on the connection?

    RTFM, well you would have to have the laptop with the same address at
    home while still allowing it to change for work. Better off to let DHCP
    to it's stuff.

    >Thanks
    >AD

    Moving between work / home connections then have a look at
    www.netswitcher.com

    Me

    why?, Sep 20, 2006

  3. AD

    AD Guest

    Hi,
    Thanks. Obviously I did not explain myself at all well.
    The laptop stay home (but moves around the home!) so the work IP is not used
    on this laptop,
    I use Windows XP.
    The computer icon in the taskbar has a red cross and when I check the
    available networks it just cannot find any (or sometimes a very weak one
    belonging to my neighbours)... and then I come back from the shops and find
    the connection is now on.
    I did read the manual but nothing said about changing the DHCP to always the
    same address.
    Cheers

    AD, Sep 20, 2006
  4. AD

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "AD" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Thanks. Obviously I did not explain myself at all well.
    > The laptop stay home (but moves around the home!) so the work IP is not
    > used on this laptop,
    > I use Windows XP.
    > The computer icon in the taskbar has a red cross and when I check the
    > available networks it just cannot find any (or sometimes a very weak one
    > belonging to my neighbours)... and then I come back from the shops and
    > find the connection is now on.
    > I did read the manual but nothing said about changing the DHCP to always
    > the same address.
    > Cheers

    Does restarting your computer fix it? I'm having similar problems with a
    Belkin router; occasionally the network will spontaneously vanish, often
    around the same time each night. Also the taskbar icon seems to spend a lot
    of time saying "acquiring network address".

    Rich Wilson, Sep 20, 2006
  5. AD

    AD Guest

    Hi there,
    It does sort it out most times, but not always.. sometimes I have to restart
    a few times
    AD

    AD, Sep 20, 2006
  6. AD

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:38:36 +0100, AD wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Thanks. Obviously I did not explain myself at all well.
    >The laptop stay home (but moves around the home!) so the work IP is not used
    >on this laptop,
    >I use Windows XP.
    >The computer icon in the taskbar has a red cross and when I check the
    >available networks it just cannot find any (or sometimes a very weak one
    >belonging to my neighbours)... and then I come back from the shops and find
    >the connection is now on.

    Ah so it's wireless then. Well have you checked the modem connection
    info mentioned earlier, helps to have a 2nd PC to do that.

    Have you changed the channel?

    I had a problem with aerial alignment, when I got an access point with 2
    aerials, I tilted 1 from vertical to about 25deg and the laptop I had
    lost the connection less often.

    >I did read the manual but nothing said about changing the DHCP to always the
    >same address.

    Don't need that unless you are doing something like setting up a server
    and need to configure port forwarding.

    Try www.google.com and look for wireless network setup, there are lots
    of guides.

    >Cheers
    >>
    >> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:56:41 +0100, AD wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, hope someone can assist!
    >>>I have a BT hub and find that when I come back from work and turn the
    >>>laptop
    >>>on, the hub is not dectected... it can take quite awhile for the
    >>>connection

    >> Quite a while, as in 4 hours?
    >>
    >>>to suddenly come back.

    >> It's not detected how? Laptop to BT hub no link light? Another PC
    >> connected to BT hub (which would be a hub or a Voyager modem with built
    >> in switch?) and looking at the status / MAC address table doesn't show
    >> the laptop MAC address / leased IP?

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 21, 2006