    with out machines trying to call to the wrong location ( wasting bandwidth )
    forever ?

    Thanks Much , Tim
    Tim Kettring, Feb 2, 2004

    ,
    > with out machines trying to call to the wrong location ( wasting

    bandwidth )
    > forever ?
    >
    > Thanks Much , Tim

    Because if it didn't expire you would eventually run out of IP addresses as
    equipment is removed from the network.

    --
    Politician Spock
    Thug #24601
    Politician Spock, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Tim Kettring

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    you are thinking too hard and complicating a very simple network tool.

    you use DHCP better manage your IP address allocations assignement to
    hosts. bandwidth is not that much of a factor.

    "Tim Kettring" <> wrote in news:bvm9gr$tpju2$1
    @ID-212626.news.uni-berlin.de:

    --
    The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
    Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.
    Rowdy Yates, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Tim Kettring

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Why does the DHCP IP lease have to have an * expiration * time/date in
    > win-NT ?
    >
    > Is it so that the host can be moved to a different location on the

    network ,
    > with out machines trying to call to the wrong location ( wasting

    bandwidth )
    > forever ?

    DHCP leases expire because, if they didn't, you would run out of IP
    addresses at some point. If you take a PC/Server/Network printer/whatever
    out of commission, the IP address is still "left" on the network. No other
    device can use this IP until the lease is up. So, they expire after a few
    days (or whatever you have it set to) to keep a relatively (depends on how
    often you're removing devices from teh network) up-to-date list of IP
    addresses.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Feb 2, 2004
  5. "Tim Kettring" <> wrote in message news:bvm9gr$tpju2$-berlin.de...
    > Why does the DHCP IP lease have to have an * expiration * time/date in
    > win-NT ?

    Leases bind IP addresses to NIC addresses (MAC address). IP addresses cannot be re-assigned until the lease expires (even if the NIC
    is gone).
    DHCP is not only used to deliver IP addresses, many more options like router, dns, etc. can be deployed. Changes to such options are
    populated when the lease is renewed. Renewal time depends on lease expiration time.

    > Is it so that the host can be moved to a different location on the network ,
    > with out machines trying to call to the wrong location ( wasting bandwidth )
    > forever ?

    No, a host, if new in another network will be given a new IP address. The lease is a thing between the host and the DHCP server.
    Other machines must not make assumptions based on DHCP leases. A current lease does not mean the host is actually reachable.
    Henry Boehlert, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Tim Kettring

    Tim Kettring Guest

    Thank you very much for all your replies !!!

    I have studyied them closely , and better understand .

    Back to the books for me :)

    Tim
    Tim Kettring, Feb 3, 2004