dhcp and subnets

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by aldric90, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. aldric90

    aldric90 Guest

    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...
    i'm getting crazy...

    dhcp dhcp dhcp dhcp....

    i don't understand...

    let's think about a small little tiny case:

    i'have got a network separated in 3 subnets, with routers
    bootp compliant etc etc etc...
    in the middle subnet, i'have got an itsy bitsy dhcp, with
    3 scopes, one for each subnet.
    because i'm a kind lovely man, i'm worrying about my
    beloved client stations, and i want to set them an
    automated gateway definition in the dhcp.
    so, with a lot of cautiousness and a bit holyness, i
    configure my routers with the right ip and the correct
    route tables. such a great man am i...

    BUT NOW! HOW CAN I KNOW WHICH SCOPE WILL BE GIVEN TO EACH
    SUBNET??????
    HOW CAN I BE SURE THAT THE DHCP WON'T GIVE AN ADRESS OF
    THE SCOPE N# 1 TO THE SUBNET N# 3??????????????

    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP...

    aldric90, Dec 6, 2003

  2. aldric90

    Plain Guest

    Have you ever try the link learntosubnet.com?

    http://www.learntosubnet.com/

    It is real simple, not complicate at all!

    Plain , Dec 7, 2003

  3. aldric90

    Bigmaggot Guest

    Don't think learn to subnet will work.

    The DHCP can recognise where the request came from and will dish out the
    appropraite IP address/scope settings. Must be in here somewhere:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...indows2000serv/reskit/tcpip/part2/tcpch04.asp

    Andy

    "Plain " <> wrote in
    message news:001301c3bc71$40475990$...

    Bigmaggot, Dec 7, 2003
  4. aldric90

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Rowdy Yates, Dec 7, 2003
  5. aldric90

    Ali Guest

    take it easy pal... it was confusing to me too... (maybe it still is). using
    User Class ID's might help.

    Ali, Dec 7, 2003