    or does it just place shortcuts?

    thanks,

    Chris
    Chris Delsman, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Chris Delsman

    SWE Guest

    i think it just copies it. the only way to have redundancy in case of
    disaster, is to have multiple dfs servers replicate to each other.

    "Chris Delsman" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I've been studying for 70-217 and am a little unclear on
    DFS. DOes DFS actually copy/replicate files to a DFS root

    SWE, Sep 11, 2003

  3. The DFS root is a virtual thing. It is a placeholder for the links
    stored under it. DFS links can actually be replicated entirely to other
    replicas.

    -Ryan

    Ryan Rinehart, Sep 11, 2003
  4. circa Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:16:55 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Chris Delsman ()
    said,

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been studying for 70-217 and am a little unclear on
    > DFS. DOes DFS actually copy/replicate files to a DFS root
    > or does it just place shortcuts?

    DFS places "shortcuts" to shares on servers. If you implement FRS
    with DFS, then you can replicate the content of those shares to other
    servers. If you build a domain-based DFS, then you can replicate the
    *DFS structures* to other servers. So, they're two separate things,
    and either or both may be replicated.

    Laura
    --
    Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people
    attempt to adapt the world to themselves.
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 12, 2003