Devil's Advocate: Original DVD Rotted.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    If you have a copy of the first _Devil's Advocate_ (Warner DVD #15090),
    you might want to check and see if it has rotted yet. Mine was purchased
    in December of 1999 and seemed to play well one year ago. However, today
    after the layer change, the pixelation on the second layer quickly
    became so bad that my player locked up. This title is so notorious for
    rotting that I bought the new version a couple of years ago. So far, the
    new version still plays perfectly.

    The original _Devil's Advocate_ Warner DVD #15090 had a white sticker on
    the front of the box as well as a red band on the back of the box which
    said the following:

    "The large white sculpture of human forms on the wall of John Milton's
    penthouse in "Devil's Advocate" is not connected in any way and was not
    endorsed by the sculptor Frederick Hart of the Washington National
    Cathedral, joint copyright owners of the cathedral sculpture "Ex Nihilo"
    in Washington, D.C."

    If this disclaimer is not on the box, you are looking at the new
    version.

    The new _Devil's Advocate_ Warner DVD # 16172 has the Ex Nihilo statue
    edited out so that none of the figures are visible. Later, when the
    statue begins to move, the new version of the film looks exactly like
    the original.

    Chapters 1-25 are located on the first layer of the disk and should play
    well. It is after the layer change -- at the end of chapter 25 and at
    the beginning of chapter 26 -- that a rotted disk will display playback
    problems. This brings my total of rotted disks to 5 and ALL of them came
    from Warner:

    Devil's Advocate (First pressing which cannot be replaced.)

    Cabaret (First one rotted, replacement playing well.)

    Casablanca -- Original DVD (First one rotted, replacement playing
    well.)

    Maltese Falcon (First one rotted, replacement playing well.)

    My Fair Lady (First one rotted, replacement playing well.)

    You might want to check the second layers of the Warner titles listed
    above if they are in your collection.

    Scot Gardner, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Scot Gardner

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <20030907220818.293$>,
    Scot Gardner <> wrote:
    >If you have a copy of the first _Devil's Advocate_ (Warner DVD #15090),
    >you might want to check and see if it has rotted yet. Mine was purchased
    >in December of 1999 and seemed to play well one year ago. However, today
    >after the layer change, the pixelation on the second layer quickly
    >became so bad that my player locked up. This title is so notorious for
    >rotting that I bought the new version a couple of years ago. So far, the
    >new version still plays perfectly.
    >
    >The original _Devil's Advocate_ Warner DVD #15090 had a white sticker on
    >the front of the box as well as a red band on the back of the box which
    >said the following:
    >
    >"The large white sculpture of human forms on the wall of John Milton's
    >penthouse in "Devil's Advocate" is not connected in any way and was not
    >endorsed by the sculptor Frederick Hart of the Washington National
    >Cathedral, joint copyright owners of the cathedral sculpture "Ex Nihilo"
    >in Washington, D.C."
    >
    >If this disclaimer is not on the box, you are looking at the new
    >version.
    >
    >The new _Devil's Advocate_ Warner DVD # 16172 has the Ex Nihilo statue
    >edited out so that none of the figures are visible. Later, when the
    >statue begins to move, the new version of the film looks exactly like
    >the original.
    >
    >Chapters 1-25 are located on the first layer of the disk and should play
    >well. It is after the layer change -- at the end of chapter 25 and at
    >the beginning of chapter 26 -- that a rotted disk will display playback
    >problems. This brings my total of rotted disks to 5 and ALL of them came
    >from Warner:
    >
    > Devil's Advocate (First pressing which cannot be replaced.)
    >
    > Cabaret (First one rotted, replacement playing well.)
    >
    > Casablanca -- Original DVD (First one rotted, replacement playing
    > well.)
    >
    > Maltese Falcon (First one rotted, replacement playing well.)
    >
    > My Fair Lady (First one rotted, replacement playing well.)
    >
    >You might want to check the second layers of the Warner titles listed
    >above if they are in your collection.

    Well, after reading the above I pulled my original release off the shelf.
    It sputters even reading the root directory and main menu, but past that
    the movie plays until chapter 25. Then ... all hell breaks loose. Whew.
    And looking at the media I can't even see anything unusually in its
    appearance. Oh well.

    Mike S., Sep 9, 2003

  3. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Scot Gardner <> wrote:
    >If you have a copy of the first _Devil's Advocate_ (Warner DVD #15090),
    >you might want to check and see if it has rotted yet. Mine was
    >purchased in December of 1999 and seemed to play well one year ago.
    >However, today after the layer change, the pixelation on the second
    >layer quickly became so bad that my player locked up. This title is
    >so notorious for rotting that I bought the new version a couple of
    >years ago. So far, the new version still plays perfectly.

    <<Well, after reading the above I pulled my original release off the
    shelf. It sputters even reading the root directory and main menu, but
    past that the movie plays until chapter 25. Then ... all hell breaks
    loose. Whew. And looking at the media I can't even see anything
    unusually in its appearance. Oh well.>>

    Thanks for sharing your DVD Rot experience. As far as the appearance of
    the _Devil's Advocate_ DVD is concerned, mine also looks absolutely
    flawless -- no scratches or discoloration on the data surface.

    Fortunately, _Devil's Advocate_ is still in print, albeit a version with
    the edited Ex Nihilo sculpture. The fact that this title is notorious
    for rotting makes me wonder about the wisdom of investing in rare and
    out of print DVDs. There were a few instances of the original _Devil's
    Advocate_ selling for up to $200 on eBay. If my $20 disk rotted, the
    $200 disk will also rot.

    Previously on this newsgroup, people who reported rotted DVDs were
    ridiculed and told that there is no such thing as DVD Rot. There are
    still many who believe that DVDs are immune to rot. If some of these
    deluded persons come forward in this thread, here are some handy
    euphemisms "rot" which can be used instead: Deterioration, Decay,
    Degeneration and Decomposition. And they're so easy to remember since
    they all start with "D" as in DeeVeeDee.

    Scot Gardner, Sep 9, 2003
  4. On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:03:20 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <>
    wrote:

    >"Mike S." <> wrote in message
    >

    >In article <20030907220818.293$>,
    >Scot Gardner <> wrote:
    >>If you have a copy of the first _Devil's Advocate_ (Warner DVD #15090),
    >>you might want to check and see if it has rotted yet. Mine was
    >>purchased in December of 1999 and seemed to play well one year ago.
    >>However, today after the layer change, the pixelation on the second
    >>layer quickly became so bad that my player locked up. This title is
    >>so notorious for rotting that I bought the new version a couple of
    >>years ago. So far, the new version still plays perfectly.

    ><<Well, after reading the above I pulled my original release off the
    >shelf. It sputters even reading the root directory and main menu, but
    >past that the movie plays until chapter 25. Then ... all hell breaks
    >loose. Whew. And looking at the media I can't even see anything
    >unusually in its appearance. Oh well.>>
    >
    >Thanks for sharing your DVD Rot experience. As far as the appearance of
    >the _Devil's Advocate_ DVD is concerned, mine also looks absolutely
    >flawless -- no scratches or discoloration on the data surface.
    >
    >Fortunately, _Devil's Advocate_ is still in print, albeit a version with
    >the edited Ex Nihilo sculpture. The fact that this title is notorious
    >for rotting makes me wonder about the wisdom of investing in rare and
    >out of print DVDs. There were a few instances of the original _Devil's
    >Advocate_ selling for up to $200 on eBay. If my $20 disk rotted, the
    >$200 disk will also rot.
    >
    >Previously on this newsgroup, people who reported rotted DVDs were
    >ridiculed and told that there is no such thing as DVD Rot. There are
    >still many who believe that DVDs are immune to rot. If some of these
    >deluded persons come forward in this thread, here are some handy
    >euphemisms "rot" which can be used instead: Deterioration, Decay,
    >Degeneration and Decomposition. And they're so easy to remember since
    >they all start with "D" as in DeeVeeDee.

    I reported a couple of rotted DVD's a year ago. I was ridiculed,
    called names, told all my players were bad, told to stick to VHS etc.
    And a long assinine thread started up about laserdisc being so
    inferior because they rotted and DVD's didn't. In fact the incidence
    of rot among lasers is low where it matters, though there are a
    couple of infamous titles such as the Beauty and the Beast rough cut
    and "Contact".

    Likewise, DVD is now starting to show infamous rotters.

    I forget what one of my reported rotted discs was (it MIGHT have been
    a Warners) but the one I have in my hand right now is Miramax's "A
    Walk on the Moon" which has become completely unplayable. And it has
    started to show visible signs of deterioration, with the spreading,
    starting from the inside, of a cloudy dark discoloration, caused by
    massive failures of the pits I imagine. Actually I picked up another
    copy of this title recently and it's flawless. It's noteworthy that
    the very worst of my rotted laserdiscs, the ones I now hang on the
    wall, do show some visible deterioration under the binder, a
    cloudiness or slightly goldish discoloration.

    It's unlikely that I would have run into any problems with early
    Warner DVD's because anything I wanted to keep then I still had on
    laserdisc. I will look among my 500-odd DVD's to see if there are any
    early Warners however...

    ... Steve ...

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 9, 2003
  5. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    <<I reported a couple of rotted DVD's a year ago. I was ridiculed,
    called names, told all my players were bad, told to stick to VHS etc.
    And a long asinine thread started up about laserdisc being so inferior
[...]

    Warner DVDs released well into 2000 have rotted. My newest Warner disk
    to rot was _The Maltese Falcon_, which was released in February of 2000.
    Therefore, it would be a good idea to check all Warner disks that you
    purchased before 2001.

    Here is all of the theoretical information that I have been able to
    gather on the subject of DVD rot:

    Those in this newsgroup who have not yet experienced DVD rot remain
    skeptical and discourage any discussion of this subject. I have been
    dealing with DVD rot since I first posted my experience with_Cabaret_in
    December, 1999. It was inevitable that as the proliferation of DVD
    players increased, more and more people would discover that they have
    rotted DVDs in their collections.

    First, let's not confuse Laser Rot with DVD rot:

    LaserDiscs are subject to what's commonly called Laser Rot: The
    deterioration of the aluminum layer due to oxidation or other chemical
    change. This often results from the use of insufficiently pure aluminum
    during replication, but can be exacerbated by mechanical shear stress
    due to bending, warping or thermal cycles (the large size of LaserDiscs
    makes them flexible, so that movement along the bond between layers can
    break the seal). Deterioration of the data layer can be caused by
    chemical contaminants or gasses in the glue, or by moisture that
    penetrates the acrylic substrates.

    Like LaserDiscs, DVDs are made of two platters glued together, but DVDs
    are more rigid and use newer adhesives. DVDs are molded from
    polycarbonate, which absorbs about ten times less moisture than the
    slightly hygroscopic acrylic (PMMA) used for LaserDiscs.

    It's too early to know for sure, but DVDs will probably have few laser
    rot problems. There have been reports of a few discs going bad, possibly
    due to poor adhesive, chemical reactions, or oxidation of the aluminum
    layer. See www.mindspring.com/~yerington/.

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.24

    So far, it appears that the DVD rot problem affects only the second
    layer of RSDL (Reverse Spiral Dual Layer) and DL (Dual Layer) disks and
    that, before the layer change triggers the transition of the optical
    assembly to focus the laser on the second layer, there is no breakup in
    the picture. But, once the layer change occurs, the momentary freezing,
    blocking and color blotching begins. I have noted that as the disks
    absorb the residual heat from my player, the problems intensify. I am
    still exploring this heat-related theory: Heat causes expansion.
    Therefore, could it be that the second layer of some WAMO RSDL disks
    expands separately from the first layer causing the data spiral to
    become out of round?

    This peculiar ailment -- most often found on the second layer of Warner
    DVDs (WAMO produced RSDL and possibly some DL) disks) -- has been called
    disk rot by some. So far, I have lost 5 Warner RSDL titles to this
    ailment (_Cabaret_, _Casablanca_, _The Maltese Falcon_, _Devil's
    Advocate_ and _My Fair Lady_, however, none of the replacement disks has
    rotted yet.

    On Nov. 7, 2000 Mr. Moody posted the best theory that I have heard on
    the subject of DVD rot under the subject header: "Re: YES!!! Some screen
    captures from my Pioneer DV-525"

    The pictures of the rotted discs at
    http://www.mindspring.com/~yerington/
    strongly remind me of stress cracks in acrylic. Has anyone ever seen
    what happens to a sheet of acrylic which is subjected to continuous
    flexing & vibration? It develops numerous short, tiny cracks in the
    plastic in the area of greatest stress.

    Combine this with Scot's heat observations, and I think what is
    happening is that multiple heat cycles are stressing and cracking the
    glue holding the layers together. WAMO had/has some defective glue that
    is either too brittle or has the wrong heat expansion index (ie
    different from the polycarbonate layer) and slowly develops microscopic
    cracks as it is repeatedly heated and cooled.

    ### (My heat observations are posted below.)

    This could explain why some people have several discs with this problem
    while others have none. Personally, The Matrix is the only disc
    mentioned which I have played more than 2-3 times.

    This would mean that, unlike LD, DVD rotters will never rot on the
    shelf, but only after they are played enough times. This is also
    horrifying to think that maybe most or all of us own discs with limited
    plays in them and don't know it.

    *** *** ***

    Therefore, the un-played defective disks can sit dormant on a warehouse
    shelf and still deliver a honeymoon-fresh initial picture when they are
    sold months or even years later. If Mr. Moody's theory is correct, it
    would mean that it is the heat and centrifugal force of the playback
    process that is combining to tear apart and/or alter the second layer of
    the disk. He may be on to something here because it is at the outer
    edge of the disk, where the layer change occurs, that the centrifugal
    force is the strongest.

    ### This was my first observation of the relationship of heat and DVD
    Rot:

    Please check your copy of My Fair Lady. Mine has a totally rotted
    second layer. Here are the numbers (some of them printed backward)
    from the play side of this totally ruined disk:

    WAMO VB01

    16668V2

    IFPI L906

    M1S4

    The layer change occurs at 1:41:49 right after the intermission and at
    the start of chapter 31. The first symptoms of rot were audio dropouts
    followed by slight pixelation, then the disk began to freeze slightly
    before jumping back to the beginning of the layer change. This was after
    playing the disk completely cold out of the box.

    The disk warmed up after playing for 10 minutes and the momentary
    freezing, blocking and color blotching became worse and worse. Then the
    disk began to hang up about three minutes into chapter 31 and then the
    player refused to go any further on its own. I could manually jump
    through to chapter 35, but the playback problems become even worse to
    the point that the disk became unplayable. The entire second layer of
    this disk is completely rotted!

    This heat theory might go a long way in explaining why a disk that has
    rotted performs flawlessly, when you later play only the bad part in
    another machine, before allowing it to warm up.

    Scot Gardner, Sep 9, 2003
  6. On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:18:48 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <>
    wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >First, let's not confuse Laser Rot with DVD rot:
    >
    >LaserDiscs are subject to what's commonly called Laser Rot: The
    >deterioration of the aluminum layer due to oxidation or other chemical
    >change. D
    >
    >It's too early to know for sure, but DVDs will probably have few laser
    >rot problems.
    >So far, it appears that the DVD rot problem affects only the second
    >layer of RSDL (Reverse Spiral Dual Layer) and DL (Dual Layer) disks

    I don't want the thread to continue from here, but I just have to
    comment that I use the term "Rot" to cover ANY sort of deterioration
    of the disc, either DVD or Laser. There is more than one type of
    failure of Laserdiscs, and I suspect as you say that there is more
    than one type of failure. of DVD's.

    Just semantics..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 9, 2003
  7. Scot Gardner

    John Simons Guest

    , "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    > If you have a copy of the first _Devil's Advocate_ (Warner DVD #15090),
    > you might want to check and see if it has rotted yet. Mine was purchased
    > in December of 1999 and seemed to play well one year ago. However, today
    > after the layer change, the pixelation on the second layer quickly
    > became so bad that my player locked up. This title is so notorious for
    > rotting that I bought the new version a couple of years ago. So far, the
    > new version still plays perfectly.

    Sorry if this sounds naive, but if the disc basically self-destructed
    through no fault of your own, shouldn't Warner replace it? Why should you
    have had to shell out for another one?

    John Simons, Sep 11, 2003
  8. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "John Simons" <> wrote in message
    , "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    > If you have a copy of the first _Devil's Advocate_ (Warner DVD
    > #15090), you might want to check and see if it has rotted yet.
    > Mine was purchased in December of 1999 and seemed to play
    > well one year ago. However, today after the layer change, the
    > pixelation on the second layer quickly became so bad that my
    > player locked up. This title is so notorious for rotting that I bought
    > the new version a couple of years ago. So far, the new version
    > still plays perfectly.

    <<Sorry if this sounds naive, but if the disc basically
    self-destructed through no fault of your own, shouldn't Warner replace
    it? Why should you have had to shell out for another one?>>

    No, this question does not sound naive. Unless you are dealing with
    Disney (and Disney is the VERY best when it comes to replacing defective
    DVDs), getting a replacement Warner title will be an exercise in
    frustration. The main problem is that _Devil's Advocate_ had two
    pressings: One made from the original theatrical release print and the
    second made with some digital changes made to the statue. My copy was
    the original version, Warner DVD #15090, which is out of print and
    cannot be replaced. The replacement version, Warner DVD # 16172, is
    readily available for well-under $15.

    Of course I feel cheated, now that my once-valuable _Devil's Advocate_
    has rotted. But I got off easy. There are some people who actually paid
    anywhere from $50 to $150 -- and maybe more -- on eBay for this first
    pressing. Chances are that these premium-priced disks will rot, if they
    haven't already. I just did and eBay search for this title and there
    don't appear to be any of the original pressings for sale. They've
    probably all rotted by now.

    I suppose that it might be possible to get Warner to replace this title,
    as well as the other 4 Warner titles that have rotted on me, but trying
    to get replacement disks just isn't worth the hassle. I'm sure that
    Warner would fight me every step of the way:

    1. Try to find the right person at Warner to contact and then get this
    person to return my e-mails and/or phone calls.

    2. Try to get a return authorization and perhaps return the disks at my
    expense.

    3. Wait forever for the replacements to arrive and then try to follow up
    when they don't.

    4. More phone calls, more e-mails, more bullshit etc.

    It's just not worth it. This isn't Disney we're dealing with here, it's
    Warner.

    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...erty=MetaEndSort&query=devil's advocate + dvd

    Scot Gardner, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Scot Gardner

    Memnoch Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    >Of course I feel cheated, now that my once-valuable _Devil's Advocate_
    >has rotted. But I got off easy. There are some people who actually paid
    >anywhere from $50 to $150 -- and maybe more -- on eBay for this first
    >pressing. Chances are that these premium-priced disks will rot, if they
    >haven't already. I just did and eBay search for this title and there
    >don't appear to be any of the original pressings for sale. They've
    >probably all rotted by now.

    Try backing the DVD up to your hard drive, and see if you can do that
    cleanly.

    If so, find someone with a DVD Burner and make a copy for a $1 or so.

    Problem solved :)

    Memnoch

    Memnoch, Sep 16, 2003
  10. "Memnoch" <randmtask at optushome . com . au> wrote in message

    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > >Of course I feel cheated, now that my once-valuable _Devil's Advocate_
    > >has rotted. But I got off easy. There are some people who actually paid
    > >anywhere from $50 to $150 -- and maybe more -- on eBay for this first
    > >pressing. Chances are that these premium-priced disks will rot, if they
    > >haven't already. I just did and eBay search for this title and there
    > >don't appear to be any of the original pressings for sale. They've
    > >probably all rotted by now.

    > Try backing the DVD up to your hard drive, and see if you can do that
    > cleanly.
    >
    > If so, find someone with a DVD Burner and make a copy for a $1 or so.
    >
    > Problem solved :)
    >
    > Memnoch

    How can you tell if yours is one of the ones in the original pressing? Why
    are these selling for so much? Maybe I should put mine in, check it out,
    and sell it.

    Deborah Proctor

    Deborah Proctor, Sep 16, 2003
  11. Scot Gardner

    Eric R. Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message

    > This brings my total of rotted disks to 5 and ALL of them came
    > from Warner:

    _Contact_ is another early Warner dual-layered disc to have a lot of
    reported "rot" problems. I believe Warner was the first studio to come
    out with dual layered discs. And back in those days they were big
    promoters of the format. So they may have come to market with them
    before they had perfected the manufacturing process.

    Of course it could also be the curse of those damn snapper cases. ;-)

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 16, 2003
  12. Scot Gardner

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Deborah Proctor wrote in
    <bEE9b.5211$>:

    >"Memnoch" <randmtask at optushome . com . au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    >> >Of course I feel cheated, now that my once-valuable _Devil's Advocate_
    >> >has rotted. But I got off easy. There are some people who actually paid
    >> >anywhere from $50 to $150 -- and maybe more -- on eBay for this first
    >> >pressing. Chances are that these premium-priced disks will rot, if they
    >> >haven't already. I just did and eBay search for this title and there
    >> >don't appear to be any of the original pressings for sale. They've
    >> >probably all rotted by now.

    >> Try backing the DVD up to your hard drive, and see if you can do that
    >> cleanly.
    >>
    >> If so, find someone with a DVD Burner and make a copy for a $1 or so.
    >>
    >> Problem solved :)
    >>
    >> Memnoch

    >How can you tell if yours is one of the ones in the original pressing? Why
    >are these selling for so much? Maybe I should put mine in, check it out,
    >and sell it.

    In the original pressing Keanu's facial expression seems to move
    during the final confrontation with Pacino.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Scot Gardner

    roy Guest

    "Deborah Proctor" <> wrote in message

    > "Memnoch" <randmtask at optushome . com . au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > >Of course I feel cheated, now that my once-valuable _Devil's Advocate_
    > > >has rotted. But I got off easy. There are some people who actually paid
    > > >anywhere from $50 to $150 -- and maybe more -- on eBay for this first
    > > >pressing. Chances are that these premium-priced disks will rot, if they
    > > >haven't already. I just did and eBay search for this title and there
    > > >don't appear to be any of the original pressings for sale. They've
    > > >probably all rotted by now.

    > > Try backing the DVD up to your hard drive, and see if you can do that
    > > cleanly.
    > >
    > > If so, find someone with a DVD Burner and make a copy for a $1 or so.
    > >
    > > Problem solved :)
    > >
    > > Memnoch

    > How can you tell if yours is one of the ones in the original pressing?

    Why
    > are these selling for so much? Maybe I should put mine in, check it out,
    > and sell it.
    >
    > Deborah Proctor

    read the start of this thread!!!

    Roy
    btw. I just checked my edition (the first pressing) skipping all the
    chapters and it still plays fine (pheeew!)....question: will it play fine in
    years to come?....only time will tell!

    roy, Sep 17, 2003
  14. Scot Gardner

    Joan May Guest

    (Scot Gardner)
    wrote:

    "....The new _Devil's Advocate_ Warner DVD # 16172 has the Ex Nihilo
    statue edited out so that none of the figures are visible. "

    This is unfortunate news. I hate it when a dvd or video of a film has
    been altered from the original. Can you tell me which scene had the
    sculpture figures edited out?

    Thanks!
    Joan

    http://community-2.webtv.net/Jem33d/McHead

    Joan May, Sep 18, 2003
  15. Scot Gardner

    Frank Guest

    > >How can you tell if yours is one of the ones in the original pressing?
    Why
    > >are these selling for so much? Maybe I should put mine in, check it out,
    > >and sell it.

    > In the original pressing Keanu's facial expression seems to move
    > during the final confrontation with Pacino.

    Hahahahahaha! Had to read that once or twice before I got it. Funny!!!

    Frank, Sep 20, 2003
  16. Scot Gardner

    Frank Guest

    "Joan May" <> wrote in message
    (Scot Gardner)
    wrote:

    >"....The new _Devil's Advocate_ Warner DVD # 16172 has the Ex Nihilo
    >statue edited out so that none of the figures are visible. "

    >This is unfortunate news. I hate it when a dvd or video of a film has
    >been altered from the original. Can you tell me which scene had the
    >sculpture figures edited out?

    It was the scene where Han fired first.

    Frank, Sep 20, 2003
  17. FWIW, my original (has the bas-relief sculpture) "Devil's Advocate"
    is rot-free. I've only had it in the original snapper-case, too.

    -Kenny

    --
    Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles, CA
    Home: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hwy #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (562) 961-7300

    Kenneth Crudup, Sep 22, 2003