Devices for mobile mass storage/backup, e.g. on holiday?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Hotchkiss, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. I'm looking for a way of backing up my memory card without the use of a
    computer.

    If I only store pictures at the highest resolution on my camera, then on a
    holiday of any length I would expect to take enough pictures to more than
    fill my 1GB memory card. I've used about 400MB on a 3 day long weekend. I
    don't want to take a laptop on holiday, so I started looking for other
    options, apart from just buying another memory stick or two. There seems to
    be quite a few devices around for this, and I've listed a few below.

    The Archos AV420 looked good for a while but I've seen played with one and
    it didn't live up to expectations. For example, it will play back .avi
    files if the video portion was coded using MPEG4, but it can't play a .mpg
    file straight from the camera. It seems quite expensive just as a way of
    storing and viewing still images.

    The Addonics MFR (Multi Function Recorder) looks the best choice at the
    moment, though I can't find anyone selling it in the UK. Playback of images
    to a TV will do fine instead of viewing them directly on a built-in screen.

    My second choice would be the 'external hard drive devices'. These appear
    to just use any two USB storage devices and do a copy from one to the other.
    This means that I would need a USB card reader or the camer itself, and a
    USB hard drive that can run off its own power source (battery or mains, but
    not the USB interface). These should be reasonably cheap and easy enough to
    find.

    If anyone has any experience of any of these devices (or other solutions) I
    would appreciate your opinions on their usefulness etc.

    Built-in hard drive devices:

    Archos AV420
    http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500664.html
    Image display, MP3 player, AVI player, video recorder
    GBP 323

    iRiver H320
    http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H320
    GBP 285

    VOSONIC X'S-DRIVE PRO VP300
    http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrivepro/
    MP3 player
    GBP 199

    VOSONIC IC-DRIVE VP3610
    http://www.xs-drive.com/icdrive3610/
    MP3 player
    GBP 235

    Image Tank G2
    http://www.image-tank.com/englisch/e_frame.html
    EUR 329 (GBP 225)

    External hard drive devices

    Delkin USB Bridge
    http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html
    GBP 50

    Macally Data Copier
    http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/syncbox.html
    GBP 25

    CD/DVD devices:

    Digi Magic DM 220
    http://www.digi-magic.com/digimagic8x.htm
    CD writer
    GBP 169

    Digi Magic DM 220 DVD
    http://www.digi-magic.com/digimagicdvd.htm
    DVD writer
    GBP 350, available September 2004?

    Addonics MFR DVD+/-R/RW
    http://www.addonics.com/products/mfr/aemfr842d.asp
    DVD writer/player, TV out, MP3 player
    USD 320 (GBP 178)

    --
    Joe

    http://joe.hotchkiss.com
    Joe Hotchkiss, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Joe Hotchkiss

    Frank ess Guest

    Joe Hotchkiss wrote:
    > I'm looking for a way of backing up my memory card without the use of
    > a computer.
    >

    > The Addonics MFR (Multi Function Recorder) looks the best choice at
    > the moment, though I can't find anyone selling it in the UK.
    > Playback of images to a TV will do fine instead of viewing them
    > directly on a built-in screen.

    I have this device, and have just one complaint. Well, two: they should
    supply a case that accepts the machine with battery installed (it's a
    sidecar that must come off for the main box to fit in the very nice case
    supplied); it's a little heavy to lug around all day in a back pack. Not
    heavy in the morning, increases in weight during a long day. How do they
    do that?

    Otherwise, it works great: quick, one-button dumps from card to disk; it
    automatically makes a new directory for each dump; six 512MB disk-writes
    with no perceptible drain on the battery (it wouldn't accept a charge
    after these uses. Short write-times.

    Easy to make two copies of a disk, mail one home and carry one.

    I haven't tried the DVD-play functions.

    Direct from Addonics it was about $300US including an extra battery.
    Delivered two days after an on-line order, both the purveyor and buyer
    in California.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Sep 11, 2004