    centimetres away from the USB end. These may be about 10mm in diameter
    and 20 mm long. Are these things ferrite beads used to eliminate stray
    pulses in the cable or something else? If so what?

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 11, 2010

  2. Roger Dewhurst

    victor Guest

    On 11/08/2010 11:11 a.m., Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > Cables which connect USB ports with peripherals such as cameras
    > frequently have black cylindrical objects on the cables a few
    > centimetres away from the USB end. These may be about 10mm in diameter
    > and 20 mm long. Are these things ferrite beads used to eliminate stray
    > pulses in the cable or something else? If so what?

    Yes, it forms a passive low pass filter for high frequency noise suppression
    victor, Aug 11, 2010

  3. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    On 11/08/10 11:11, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > Cables which connect USB ports with peripherals such as cameras
    > frequently have black cylindrical objects on the cables a few
    > centimetres away from the USB end. These may be about 10mm in
    > diameter and 20 mm long. Are these things ferrite beads used to
    > eliminate stray pulses in the cable or something else? If so what?

    They are inert plastic rings and their only function is to increase the
    cost of the cable to the consumer.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Aug 11, 2010
  4. Roger Dewhurst

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 11, 7:44 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 11/08/10 11:11, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >
    > > Cables which connect USB ports with peripherals such as cameras
    > > frequently have black cylindrical objects on the cables a few
    > > centimetres away from the USB end. These may be about 10mm in
    > > diameter and 20 mm long. Are these things ferrite beads used to
    > > eliminate stray pulses in the cable or something else? If so what?

    > They are inert plastic rings and their only function is to increase the
    > cost of the cable to the consumer.

    Bullshit.

    Always knew that left wing parties were a bunch of bull artists.
    peterwn, Aug 11, 2010
  5. Roger Dewhurst

    Richard Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > Cables which connect USB ports with peripherals such as cameras
    > frequently have black cylindrical objects on the cables a few
    > centimetres away from the USB end. These may be about 10mm in diameter
    > and 20 mm long. Are these things ferrite beads used to eliminate stray
    > pulses in the cable or something else? If so what?

    Often that on a cable is the difference between a pass and a fail on an
    EMC test.

    I dont like them, make cables tangle more and 2 more strain relieve
    places to fail.
    Richard, Aug 11, 2010
  6. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    On 11/08/10 20:07, peterwn wrote:
    > On Aug 11, 7:44 pm, Enkidu<> wrote:
    >> On 11/08/10 11:11, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>
    >>> Cables which connect USB ports with peripherals such as cameras
    >>> frequently have black cylindrical objects on the cables a few
    >>> centimetres away from the USB end. These may be about 10mm in
    >>> diameter and 20 mm long. Are these things ferrite beads used to
    >>> eliminate stray pulses in the cable or something else? If so
    >>> what?

    >> They are inert plastic rings and their only function is to increase
    >> the cost of the cable to the consumer.
    >>

    > Bullshit.
    >
    > Always knew that left wing parties were a bunch of bull artists.

    What you know, you pinko liberal apologist for criminals?

    Enkidu, Aug 11, 2010
  7. Roger Dewhurst

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news:i3tu5q$92b$:

    > Often that on a cable is the difference between a pass and a fail on an
    > EMC test.
    >
    > I dont like them, make cables tangle more and 2 more strain relieve
    > places to fail.

    I have even seen them on an ethernet patch cable

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 16, 2010