Device Not Ready

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Howard, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    I wonder if anyone has come across a similar problem before.

    Last Friday night I went to read a floppy disk and the drive just behaved
    strangely making a loud noise and not reading the disk or any other disk.

    The following day I tried to read a CD Rom I got a "Device Not Ready"
    message.
    I have had this message intermittently in the past and I have put it down to
    a software problem and removed InCD and Nero.
    Thinking back I did have a CD WR drive failure which was replaced.

    On Boot the Bios ( set to auto detect all drives) sees the CD Drive's and
    they are also listed in Device manager without any faults.
    I have configured the CD RW as the master and it is set to Disconnect, DMA
    on and auto insert is off.
    The CD rom is set to the opposite. No DMA and no disconnect, auto insert on

    In explore they both show up but I just cant access them I keep getting the
    Device not ready message!!

    At one time I was getting a slow beep, beep sound but that seems to have
    gone now.

    Fearing a Virus, as windows started behaving very strangly, shutting down
    very quickly - It would only start in safe mode.

    I formatted the C drive and made it the slave and in a separate operation I
    installed windows 98 to the old D drive (good job I leave a copy on each
    drive) and made it the master.
    Having done that I ran a virus check on the new C drive before connecting
    the second drive ( the old C drive) and virus checked that as well, No
    Faults Found, but I still cant access the CD roms!

    Bearing in mind the trouble I had with the A drive the night before do I
    have a hardware problem? is the Uart up the spout?

    PS this was written on another machine as the other one is still has only a
    very basic operating system and cannot be up graded until this problem is
    fixed or I find my 12 club hammer.

    Bodger

    Howard, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Howard

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove the IDE controller card, and reinsert it carefully, but firmly.
    Remove all cables (replace them, if necessary), and reinsert firmly.

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:01:01 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bk1aoc$6l9$>
    Howard scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Howard

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > Remove the IDE controller card, and reinsert it carefully, but firmly.
    > Remove all cables (replace them, if necessary), and reinsert firmly.

    IDE controller card? Where did the OP mention that the machine is a 486
    class machine or that it had a third party card in it?

    yugsdrawkcab, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Howard

    Howard Guest

    "yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message

    > °Mike° wrote:
    > > Remove the IDE controller card, and reinsert it carefully, but firmly.
    > > Remove all cables (replace them, if necessary), and reinsert firmly.
    > >

    > IDE controller card? Where did the OP mention that the machine is a 486
    > class machine or that it had a third party card in it?

    Thanks to those that racked their brains for a solution.
    In desperation I replaced the ribbon cable and hey presto I could read the
    drive once more!
    Thanks again

    Howard, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Howard

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:24:59 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bk2iqq$h0f$>
    Howard scrawled:

    >"yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> °Mike° wrote:
    >> > Remove the IDE controller card, and reinsert it carefully, but firmly.
    >> > Remove all cables (replace them, if necessary), and reinsert firmly.
    >> >

    >> IDE controller card? Where did the OP mention that the machine is a 486
    >> class machine or that it had a third party card in it?
    >>

    >Thanks to those that racked their brains for a solution.
    >In desperation I replaced the ribbon cable and hey presto I could read the
    >drive once more!
    >Thanks again

    You're welcome.

    --
    "I see the 'Lonely Lurker' is still alive. I wonder how long he'd
    been waiting for that one!"

    °Mike°, Sep 14, 2003