    Also, I installed nvidia video drivers which works fine, but I
    still have a Multi video controller yellow flaged in device manager.
    What else can use that, besides the video card? Any ideas. Thanks.
    lbbss, Apr 1, 2008

  2. lbbss

    sandy58 Guest

    Re: Device Manager shows sound, but no sound. Format from vista toxp.

    On Apr 1, 4:01 am, lbbss <> wrote:
    > I switched My new Gateway GT5453E from vista to xp. Gateway will only
    > support vista drivers, but I forums to find my drivers. But still
    > have two problems. Device manager shows I have sound drivers (Audio
    > codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture, Media Control,
    > Video codecs). In control panel,sound, everything is ghosted out.
    > When selecting, different sample sounds, nothing would play. And also
    > no volume icons in task bar tray. How is that possible? Its on
    > auto enabled in the bios by default. I tried installing the groups
    > the realtek highdeff audio that was recommended, but it failed due to
    > an error. Something about a Microsoft bus driver should be loaded.
    >
    > I found my info on the forum.http://one-link.de?55HFC8AI
    >
    > Also, I installed nvidia video drivers which works fine, but I
    > still have a Multi video controller yellow flaged in device manager.
    > What else can use that, besides the video card? Any ideas. Thanks.

    Seems like your sound drivers require re-installing, lbbss
    sandy58, Apr 1, 2008

  3. lbbss

    dadiOH Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > I switched My new Gateway GT5453E from vista to xp. Gateway will
    > only support vista drivers, but I forums to find my drivers. But
    > still have two problems. Device manager shows I have sound
    > drivers (Audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture,
    > Media Control, Video codecs). In control panel,sound, everything
    > is ghosted out. When selecting, different sample sounds, nothing
    > would play. And also no volume icons in task bar tray. How is
    > that possible? Its on auto enabled in the bios by default. I
    > tried installing the groups the realtek highdeff audio that was
    > recommended, but it failed due to an error. Something about a
    > Microsoft bus driver should be loaded.

    You have no mixer. You need one.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=win xp sound mixer

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Apr 1, 2008
  4. lbbss

    ded Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    >I switched My new Gateway GT5453E from vista to xp. Gateway will only
    > support vista drivers, but I forums to find my drivers. But still
    > have two problems. Device manager shows I have sound drivers (Audio
    > codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture, Media Control,
    > Video codecs). In control panel,sound, everything is ghosted out.
    > When selecting, different sample sounds, nothing would play. And also
    > no volume icons in task bar tray. How is that possible? Its on
    > auto enabled in the bios by default. I tried installing the groups
    > the realtek highdeff audio that was recommended, but it failed due to
    > an error. Something about a Microsoft bus driver should be loaded.
    >
    > I found my info on the forum.
    > http://one-link.de?55HFC8AI
    >
    > Also, I installed nvidia video drivers which works fine, but I
    > still have a Multi video controller yellow flaged in device manager.
    > What else can use that, besides the video card? Any ideas. Thanks.

    That Gateway > http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009488/1009488sp2.shtml
    has intergrated HD audio from Realtek,
    You have to install the specific driver package for that audio chipset.
    Realtek make it very easy to get it up and functioning.
    This is the link:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3

    Select the THIRD in list (Executable for XP etc) then click the "Go" button.
    In the dialog select where to save - Desktop or My documents etc.
    When download is complete you will see it created a folder, open it.
    The folder contains many entries including drivers but all you do is
    locate the setup executable. it maybe named "setup.exe" or if as an
    icon it maybe named just "SetUp". Double click it and the SetUp will
    install the folders contents (including drivers). All you do is during
    setup you maybe required to click a license agreement.
    Once SetUp has completed installation, close all windows and you
    will have audio.
    Remember, you do *NOT* attempt to install the drivers individually -
    The Setup executable will do it correctly.
    ded, Apr 1, 2008
  5. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Device Manager shows sound, but no sound. Format from vista toxp.

    That is exactly the procedure I followed (installed audio separately
    from chipset), same version (R1.83 slightly older) R1.90 setup.exe.
    Like I said I got that error message half way through the
    installation, Something about a Microsoft bus driver should be loaded
    on my system. I will try R1.90 version.

    Also, could the Multi video controller yellow flagged in device
    manager, be part of my sound components?
    lbbss, Apr 1, 2008
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    On Apr 1, 6:30 am, lbbss <> wrote:
    > That is exactly the procedure I followed (installed audio separately
    > from chipset), same version (R1.83 slightly older) R1.90 setup.exe.
    > Like I said I got that error message half way through the
    > installation, Something about a Microsoft bus driver should be loaded
    > on my system. I will try R1.90 version.
    >
    > Also, could the Multi video controller yellow flagged in device
    > manager, be part of my sound components?

    Ok, so I tried r1.90, with no error message, but in the end, same
    result. Other posters recommend getting a mixer, is that not part
    for my sound drivers that I installed? I have never heard of getting
    a separate mixer. thanks.
    lbbss, Apr 1, 2008
  7. lbbss

    ded Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 1, 6:30 am, lbbss <> wrote:
    >> That is exactly the procedure I followed (installed audio separately
    >> from chipset), same version (R1.83 slightly older) R1.90 setup.exe.
    >> Like I said I got that error message half way through the
    >> installation, Something about a Microsoft bus driver should be loaded
    >> on my system. I will try R1.90 version.

    "something about a Microsoft bus driver"?
    The error message would be precise, and probably was worded:
    "Microsoft Bus Driver should be loaded in your system before installing
    Realtek HD Audio Driver"

    If you google that exact term, it seems to be an ongoing problem.
    The MS KB refers to this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835221
    You'll note it indicates that you have to contact MS support direct for
    this upgrade, and that XP should already be upgraded at least to SP1
    before applying the upgrade.
    But on searching the above worded error message on
    google you will find many have found that on upgrading to SP2 -
    and *then* installing the Realtek driver package, it functioned,
    but others found it didn't work for them?

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/
    Realtek site has a FAQ, I had a very brief browse but could not
    find a reference to what is transpiring to be a long established
    problem with Realtek HD drivers and XP?
    The Realtek site has a contact link, you best ask them direct what
    their solution is to this known problem.
    ded, Apr 1, 2008
  8. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in

    > I switched My new Gateway GT5453E from vista to xp. Gateway will only
    > support vista drivers, but I forums to find my drivers. But still
    > have two problems. Device manager shows I have sound drivers (Audio
    > codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture, Media Control,
    > Video codecs). In control panel,sound, everything is ghosted out.
    > When selecting, different sample sounds, nothing would play. And also
    > no volume icons in task bar tray. How is that possible? Its on
    > auto enabled in the bios by default. I tried installing the groups
    > the realtek highdeff audio that was recommended, but it failed due to
    > an error. Something about a Microsoft bus driver should be loaded.
    >
    > I found my info on the forum.
    > http://one-link.de?55HFC8AI
    >
    > Also, I installed nvidia video drivers which works fine, but I
    > still have a Multi video controller yellow flaged in device manager.
    > What else can use that, besides the video card? Any ideas. Thanks.

    You don't have drivers for it that work in Vista plain and simple.
    Gateway won't provide them as they only give xp on that computer. You
    need to inquire about a vista upgrade from gateway and revert back to xp
    before you install that. Installing microsofts vista CD won't work due
    the problem you've seen: microsoft doesn't provide vista drivers for
    your unique hardware.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 1, 2008
  9. lbbss

    TJ Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in news:Xns9A737356CC388chucknilcar@
    127.0.0.1:

    > lbbss <> wrote in
    >
    >> I switched My new Gateway GT5453E from vista to xp. Gateway will only
    >> support vista drivers, but I forums to find my drivers. But still
    >> have two problems. Device manager shows I have sound drivers (Audio
    >> codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture, Media Control,
    >> Video codecs). In control panel,sound, everything is ghosted out.
    >> When selecting, different sample sounds, nothing would play. And also
    >> no volume icons in task bar tray. How is that possible? Its on
    >> auto enabled in the bios by default. I tried installing the groups
    >> the realtek highdeff audio that was recommended, but it failed due to
    >> an error. Something about a Microsoft bus driver should be loaded.
    >>
    >> I found my info on the forum.
    >> http://one-link.de?55HFC8AI
    >>
    >> Also, I installed nvidia video drivers which works fine, but I
    >> still have a Multi video controller yellow flaged in device manager.
    >> What else can use that, besides the video card? Any ideas. Thanks.

    > You don't have drivers for it that work in Vista plain and simple.

    Reread the OP's first sentence.

    <flush>
    TJ, Apr 1, 2008
  10. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Device Manager shows sound, but no sound. Format from vista toxp.

    My situation is the reverse to what you mentioned. It had vista, but
    I switched to xp sp2. So gateway does not support by phone with tech
    help for xp.
    lbbss, Apr 1, 2008
  11. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Device Manager shows sound, but no sound. Format from vista toxp.

    I have xp on d: partition, would that creat a problem?
    lbbss, Apr 1, 2008
  12. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Device Manager shows sound, but no sound. Format from vista toxp.

    Thanks for all the trouble you went to try to help. I will see it I
    can get answerers directly from Realtek. tx
    lbbss, Apr 1, 2008
  13. lbbss

    dadiOH Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 6:30 am, lbbss <> wrote:
    >> That is exactly the procedure I followed (installed audio
    >> separately from chipset), same version (R1.83 slightly older)
    >> R1.90 setup.exe. Like I said I got that error message half way
    >> through the installation, Something about a Microsoft bus driver
    >> should be loaded on my system. I will try R1.90 version.
    >>
    >> Also, could the Multi video controller yellow flagged in device
    >> manager, be part of my sound components?

    > Ok, so I tried r1.90, with no error message, but in the end, same
    > result. Other posters recommend getting a mixer, is that not part
    > for my sound drivers that I installed? I have never heard of
    > getting a separate mixer. thanks.

    I haven't either but you don't seem to have one. Try opening Windows
    Volume Control (sndvol32.exe).

    I had exactly the same problem about a month ago (but with a Creative
    card) when I set up an XP dual boot for my Win98. I tried updated
    Creative drivers, no joy; I tried 3rd party drivers and mixer, no
    joy.

    I finally zapped the XP partition, re-installed XP and ran Creative's
    setup CD (which I had done originally). This time al was well, no
    updated drivers needed. Why? Who knows...
    dadiOH, Apr 1, 2008
  14. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Device Manager shows sound, but no sound. Format from vista toxp.

    I still have not formated my vista partition c: Maybe that will do
    the trick. Then I can also, make the xp drive letter to c: (instead
    of d:).
    lbbss, Apr 1, 2008
  15. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    > My situation is the reverse to what you mentioned. It had vista, but
    > I switched to xp sp2. So gateway does not support by phone with tech
    > help for xp.

    Yes, sorry reverse my usages of vista and xp.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 1, 2008
  16. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    > I have xp on d: partition, would that creat a problem?

    Wouldn't matter unless you wiped a recovery partition for vista when you
    did it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 1, 2008
  17. lbbss

    lbbss wrote:
    > I switched My new Gateway GT5453E from vista to xp. Gateway will only
    > support vista drivers, but I forums to find my drivers. But still
    > have two problems. Device manager shows I have sound drivers (Audio
    > codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture, Media Control,
    > Video codecs). In control panel,sound, everything is ghosted out.
    > When selecting, different sample sounds, nothing would play. And also
    > no volume icons in task bar tray.

    Realtek AC'97 maybe ?

    You can remove the yellow flags and reboot,
    , Apr 2, 2008