    Manager but this seems to be the main one at the moment.

    Thanks very much for any help or input!

    -Annie
    Annie M., Sep 7, 2003

  2. Annie M.

    Stevo Guest

    Annie M. wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had a computer with XP on it but when I recently bought a new
    > computer with XP I decided on the older computer to format the drive
    > and install Win98SE instead so I could have 2 different operating
    > systems installed. It's not working too well! :) Here is my
    > question:
    >
    > My Device Manager is showing both a "? and ! error" for PCI Bus
    > Management System. What is that exactly? I have no idea how to fix
    > it. I reinstalled Win98SE but that didn't help at all. I'm having
    > other problems also in Device Manager but this seems to be the main
    > one at the moment.
    >
    > Thanks very much for any help or input!
    >
    > -Annie

    You probably require a specific driver for that particular motherboard. You
    may have a CD that came with the PC or you need to check the manufacturers
    web site for a suitable driver.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Sep 7, 2003

  3. Annie M.

    jmnugent Guest

    You probably need "Motherboard Chipset Drivers"----but (as "Stevo" said)
    they are specific to your motherboard.
    The 2 most popular chipset's are Intel and Via.......you need to figure out
    what model motherboard you have,
    and more importantly--what Chipset your motherboard uses.

    (Besides the CPU....there are 2 important chips permanently attached to your
    motherboard---these are referred to as
    the motherboard chipset. Sometimes they are individually called the
    "Northbridge chip" and the "Southbridge chip"
    One of the chips controlls all of the ports on the back of your computer,
    the other one controlls things like your hard drive controllers,
    memory bus, etc)

    Sometimes you can figure this out easily by going into Device
    Manager,..branch out the "System Devices" group and see if there is any
    listing
    for "Intel blah blah blah" (usually near the top)....or "Via blah blah blah"
    (usually near the bottom)

    Then download the appropriate software package

    For INTEL chipsets
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=816

    For VIA chipsets....
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

    You may also want to check and make sure your running the latest BIOS for
    your motherboard.

    --jmnugent

    jmnugent, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Annie M.

    Annie M. Guest

    >You probably need "Motherboard Chipset Drivers"----but (as "Stevo" said) they
    are specific to your motherboard.

    Thanks so much, Stevo and jmnugent, for heading me in the right direction for a
    fix with this problem. (I appreciate the links, too)
    Wish me luck! I may return! :)

    -Annie
    Annie M., Sep 7, 2003