    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Aug 15, 2006

  2. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Anyone ever written one from the ground up.
    > Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
    > drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available though)
    >
    > Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices
    >
    > Language not an issue (ie. Im more familiar with c ish syntax, but if it
    > takes asm or machine code, or <gulp> java Im keen)
    >
    > Any help appreciated

    bah, as always as soon as I ask I finally summon up the search string for
    google that gives me the start I was after :)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Aug 15, 2006

  3. Shane

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-15, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    > Anyone ever written one from the ground up.

    I partially implemented a value-added serial driver for dos
    once aka "FOSSIL" C/asm.

    > Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
    > drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available though)
    >
    > Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices

    Did embedded polyphonic sound synthesis code once too 100% asm.

    other than hacking at the early (0.9x) linux serial driver so it'd recognise my
    modem I haven't done anything with linux drivers.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Aug 15, 2006
  4. Shane

    Shane Guest

    jasen wrote:

    > On 2006-08-15, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >> Anyone ever written one from the ground up.

    > I partially implemented a value-added serial driver for dos
    > once aka "FOSSIL" C/asm.
    >
    >> Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
    >> drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available
    >> though)
    >>
    >> Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices

    > Did embedded polyphonic sound synthesis code once too 100% asm.
    >
    > other than hacking at the early (0.9x) linux serial driver so it'd
    > recognise my modem I haven't done anything with linux drivers.
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Im downloading a kit from microsoft (Drivers Development Kit) to have a look
    From the things Ive read, it seems C will be a good option as well and
    theres a lot of bitwise operation, and memory allocation.

    The only asm I know is.. jmp so if I find a register to jump to I'll be a
    happy man :)
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Aug 15, 2006
  5. Shane

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Shane,

    this came thru my rss reader; could be intresting for you, also if you have
    the cap to spare - check out the video.

    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=226116#226116

    ----------------
    the madGeek

    Steven H, Aug 16, 2006
  6. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > Hello Shane,
    >
    > this came thru my rss reader; could be intresting for you, also if you
    > have the cap to spare - check out the video.
    >
    > http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=226116#226116
    >
    > ----------------
    > the madGeek

    Thanks steven
    Looks like something that I can gain from, but will have to wait till later
    in the monthly cycle (that sounds ew) before I bring it down.
    I have downloaded and installed the DDK kit from Microsoft, and will go over
    that as soon as I can.
    Ive realised that my driver is supposed to provide all the answers to the
    questions I have/had
    ie.
    How do I find the device
    How do I talk to it (clearly my driver tells the os these things)
    Im assuming my device is assigned a memory address, and of course the device
    has its own instruction-set, and I tell the OS.. oi at 0x176AF45 you can
    send it this list of commands.
    In my research I have found that windows seperates the application from the
    driver.
    ie. my application talks to the os, which then talks to the driver which
    then tells the os how to talk to the metal
    SO I have the basic theory sorted (I think) but I have still got a lot of
    ground to cover

    (I should really get a hobby!)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Aug 16, 2006
  7. In message <ebsed2$jit$>, jasen wrote:

    > On 2006-08-15, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >> Anyone ever written one from the ground up.

    > I partially implemented a value-added serial driver for dos
    > once aka "FOSSIL" C/asm.
    >
    >> Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
    >> drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available
    >> though)
    >>
    >> Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices

    > Did embedded polyphonic sound synthesis code once too 100% asm.
    >
    > other than hacking at the early (0.9x) linux serial driver so it'd
    > recognise my modem I haven't done anything with linux drivers.

    Just a note that, if it's a USB device, you can access it under Linux from
    an ordinary userland program, no need for a kernel-mode driver at all.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 19, 2006