Device Driver Installation Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    I'm using win xp pro. I have downloaded a compressed file from the
    microsoft site (see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331958) in order
    to install an updated atapi driver. I doubleclick on the downloaded file
    and its wizard runs and supposedly installs the driver.

    When I check in device manager, the primary ide channel still shows the
    old driver version. Someone else has indicated that I should have
    updated it via the device manager, but I am unsure as how to do this.

    The file is compressed and not directly recognized by the device
    manager. When I unzip the file, there are 2 "update" locations which are
    recognized. Which do I use?

    Am I making this harder than it is? How do I install it via the device
    manager?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Harvey Gratt

    Harrison Guest

    The download is a patch for the OS, not a set of drivers.

    Harrison, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Harvey Gratt

    °Mike° Guest

    It installs automatically. Did you reboot? Check in Device Manager
    for 'Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q331958'. If it's there, it's installed.

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:30:44 GMT, in
    <odmOb.75055$Rc4.270236@attbi_s54>
    Harvey Gratt scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Harvey Gratt

    °Mike° Guest

    BZZZZZZZT! . It updates the atapi.sys driver.

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:42:26 -0500, in
    <>
    Harrison scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Device Manager??? I used the Belarc Advisor to verify that it was there.
    It was. Why does the primary ide channel still show the old version?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Isn't that the primary IDE channel under the ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    device type in the Device Manager? It still retains the old version.

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Harvey Gratt

    °Mike° Guest

    Sorry, I meant to say 'Add\Remove Programs'. D'oh!
    As for Belarc, I can't say why it would show the old
    version but, talking about Device Manager, that's where
    you'll find out if the new version is installed. It (atapi.sys)
    in XP Home, is updated to:
    5.1.2600.1135 (xpsp2 020921-0842) .

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:07:07 GMT, in
    <vLmOb.78529$nt4.116990@attbi_s51>
    Harvey Gratt scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  8. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Getting out of sync! Both Belarc Advisor and Add/Remove show the hot fix
    331958 to be present.

    If I do search for atapi.sys, I find it in the system32 folder and it
    does have the new version. I was thinking that the primary ide channel
    under the ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the device manager should also show
    the new version, but it does not. So the question is, should it show the
    new version or not?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004
  9. Harvey Gratt

    °Mike° Guest

    You are not looking in the right place. What the driver properties
    tab is showing you, on the surface, is the version of storprop.dll .
    To see the version of atapi.sys, you need to press the 'Driver
    Details' button, and click on atapi.sys .

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:41:38 GMT, in
    <SfnOb.75431$Rc4.272185@attbi_s54>
    Harvey Gratt scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  10. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    O.K., found it! Thanks. Interesting enough, my desktop, which is a few
    months older than the laptop I "updated" shows a version 5.1.2600.1164
    which appears to be even newer. It does not show the corresponding hot
    fix. I wonder if I really "downgraded" my laptop!

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Harvey Gratt

    Harrison Guest

    Taught me something new.
    Sorry for my inaccurate assessment.

    Harrison, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Well, it was interesting and informative. I just updated to the latest
    version (I think) 5.1.2600.1164.

    It's not easy to find the most recent driver on the microsoft site. I
    wonder if thers's an even newer one.

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004
  13. Harvey Gratt

    °Mike° Guest

    It's possible that the 331958 update is not the most current.
    Always visit Windows update.

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:05:36 GMT, in
    <kCnOb.77451$5V2.96180@attbi_s53>
    Harvey Gratt scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  14. Harvey Gratt

    gangle Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote
    > It's possible that the 331958 update is not the most current.
    > Always visit Windows update.

    If he always visits Windows update, he'll never get
    anything else done. This proves you are an idiot.

    gangle, Jan 18, 2004
  15. Harvey Gratt

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:33:23 -0800, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >> It's possible that the 331958 update is not the most current.
    >> Always visit Windows update.

    >If he always visits Windows update, he'll never get
    >anything else done. This proves you are an idiot.

    Thank you for your insight in this matter. Now shouldn't you
    be grubbing out your hole, or something?

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  16. It was on Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:37:06 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:33:23 -0800, in
    > <>
    > gangle scrawled:
    >
    >>"°Mike°" wrote
    >>> It's possible that the 331958 update is not the most current. Always
    >>> visit Windows update.

    >>If he always visits Windows update, he'll never get anything else done.
    >>This proves you are an idiot.

    > Thank you for your insight in this matter. Now shouldn't you be grubbing
    > out your hole, or something?

    EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwww! I've gone right off my dinner...
    The glurd's hole...& *that's* as close as I'm getting! Shitstain's on the
    wall, I dunno.. http://www.sentex.net/~tcc/en99-2.jpg

    --
    Registered Linux user: 305646 - http://counter.li.org/
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

    William Poaster, Jan 18, 2004
  17. Harvey Gratt

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:13:50 +0000, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >It was on Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:37:06 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    >large jam doughnut, that °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:33:23 -0800, in
    >> <>
    >> gangle scrawled:
    >>
    >>>"°Mike°" wrote
    >>>
    >>>If he always visits Windows update, he'll never get anything else done.
    >>>This proves you are an idiot.

    >> Thank you for your insight in this matter. Now shouldn't you be grubbing
    >> out your hole, or something?

    >EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwww! I've gone right off my dinner...
    >The glurd's hole...& *that's* as close as I'm getting! Shitstain's on the
    >wall, I dunno.. http://www.sentex.net/~tcc/en99-2.jpg

    Ok, I'm not even going to ask....

    --
    Captain's Log: "Same shit. Different sector."

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  18. Harvey Gratt

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:13:50 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

    >It was on Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:37:06 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    >large jam doughnut, that °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:33:23 -0800, in
    >> <>
    >> gangle scrawled:
    >>
    >>>"°Mike°" wrote
    >>>
    >>>If he always visits Windows update, he'll never get anything else done.
    >>>This proves you are an idiot.

    >> Thank you for your insight in this matter. Now shouldn't you be grubbing
    >> out your hole, or something?

    >EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwww! I've gone right off my dinner...
    >The glurd's hole...& *that's* as close as I'm getting! Shitstain's on the
    >wall, I dunno.. http://www.sentex.net/~tcc/en99-2.jpg

    Good GAWD. A pic of the glurd's belly button. That's just GROSS.

    "Ewwwwwwww."

    -- Blair Houghton

    Mara, Jan 18, 2004
  19. It was on Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:12:38 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:13:50 +0000, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >>It was on Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:37:06 +0000, just as I was halfway through
    >>a large jam doughnut, that °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:33:23 -0800, in
    >>> <>
    >>> gangle scrawled:

    >>> Thank you for your insight in this matter. Now shouldn't you be
    >>> grubbing out your hole, or something?

    >>EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwww! I've gone right off my dinner...
    >>The glurd's hole...& *that's* as close as I'm getting! Shitstain's on the
    >>wall, I dunno.. http://www.sentex.net/~tcc/en99-2.jpg

    > Good GAWD. A pic of the glurd's belly button. That's just GROSS.
    >
    > "Ewwwwwwww."

    Not a pretty site!

    William Poaster, Jan 18, 2004
  20. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    I've never seen anything about this driver from windows update. Also,
    from spot checking many microsoft documents, there appears to be a newer
    version. Is there an easy way to search for the newest version? If so, I
    sure don't know of it.

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Jan 18, 2004