Device driver crashes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Melv, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Melv

    Melv Guest

    I have a PC running XP Home
    edition. Since I purchased this computer the computer
    crashes about 4 or 5 times a day. When it comes back up
    I generate an error report that says the same thing- all
    the time. The problem is caused by a "device driver".
    However when I receive the automated reply back from
    Micfrosoft it does not give me the details to find out
    what device driver is causing the problem.

    I've checked all my device drivers for conflicts in the
    device manger and there are none listed as having that
    problem.

    There is not set pattern on what drivers may be causing
    the problem. It can happen at anytime when no
    applications are being used or when any application is
    being used.

    When I turned off the anti-virus program for a while and
    it still happened.

    Is there a way to isolate this problem so I can resolve
    the problem? Is there a troubleshhoting application that
    can point me to the faulty device driver(s)?Melv

    Melv, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Melv

    °Mike° Guest

    You say that this has been happening since you
    purchased the computer. How long ago was that?

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:29:05 -0000, in
    <clRWb.4416$>
    Melv scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Melv

    Harrison Guest

    Please check the Event Viewer for related messages or problems.
    Look for anything logged just before the shutdowns.
    Right-clcik My Computer and choose Manage.
    Expand Event Viewer in the left pane and view all three logs for possible error messages.
    Post back or do further research on specific errors.

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Melv

    Sultan Guest

    Melv wrote in news:clRWb.4416$:

    > I have a PC running XP Home
    > edition. Since I purchased this computer the computer
    > crashes about 4 or 5 times a day. When it comes back up
    > I generate an error report that says the same thing- all
    > the time. The problem is caused by a "device driver".
    > However when I receive the automated reply back from
    > Micfrosoft it does not give me the details to find out
    > what device driver is causing the problem.
    >
    > I've checked all my device drivers for conflicts in the
    > device manger and there are none listed as having that
    > problem.
    >
    > There is not set pattern on what drivers may be causing
    > the problem. It can happen at anytime when no
    > applications are being used or when any application is
    > being used.
    >
    > When I turned off the anti-virus program for a while and
    > it still happened.
    >
    > Is there a way to isolate this problem so I can resolve
    > the problem? Is there a troubleshhoting application that
    > can point me to the faulty device driver(s)?Melv

    The error says the same thing all the time but you couldn't remember to
    state the exact error here? Please remember that our pyschic powers often
    fail us over the internet connection.

    The short and easy answer would be to wipe the PC clean as I think you
    must have bought it used or you would've returned it. Do a clean install
    and either your problem device will finally be revealed or you'll have a
    working pc again.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Melv

    Ghostmaster Guest

    Sultan wrote:

    > Melv wrote in news:clRWb.4416$:
    >

    >>I have a PC running XP Home
    >>edition. Since I purchased this computer the computer
    >>crashes about 4 or 5 times a day. When it comes back up
    >>I generate an error report that says the same thing- all
    >>the time. The problem is caused by a "device driver".
    >>However when I receive the automated reply back from
    >>Micfrosoft it does not give me the details to find out
    >>what device driver is causing the problem.
    >>
    >>I've checked all my device drivers for conflicts in the
    >>device manger and there are none listed as having that
    >>problem.
    >>
    >>There is not set pattern on what drivers may be causing
    >>the problem. It can happen at anytime when no
    >>applications are being used or when any application is
    >>being used.
    >>
    >>When I turned off the anti-virus program for a while and
    >>it still happened.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to isolate this problem so I can resolve
    >>the problem? Is there a troubleshhoting application that
    >>can point me to the faulty device driver(s)?Melv
    >>

    > The error says the same thing all the time but you couldn't remember to
    > state the exact error here? Please remember that our pyschic powers often
    > fail us over the internet connection.
    >
    > The short and easy answer would be to wipe the PC clean as I think you
    > must have bought it used or you would've returned it. Do a clean install
    > and either your problem device will finally be revealed or you'll have a
    > working pc again.
    >
    > Sultan

    Some one I know had something simular to this problem.
    It wasn't related to any software on the pc, but instead related
    to their printer. I would unhook each device you have hooked up
    to the computer. Printer, scanner, etc. Run without them attached
    to see if error comes up. (May have to reboot or refresh computer)
    Or just try as suggested above.

    Ghostmaster, Feb 13, 2004